Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I didn't do it
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my A1 pro about a week ago...beautiful knife, razor sharp...the thing is a beast. My only issue is that it scratches very easily. I used it to chop a few small branches from a tree ant noticed that it was scratched up pretty badly...I didn't hit any dirt or anything besides the limbs...also noticed a very tiny chip in the blade (which should come out with regular sharpening) I was surprised at how easily it scratched...I bought the knife to use and am not really worried about the scratches, but was wondering if anyone with the A1 pro has had this same issue..should it scratch this bad?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
That's pretty interesting. I don't have a pro model (yet), but that's odd as it looks pretty bad. It's just cosmetic and if it's a convex ground blade, I use fine-grit wet/dry sandpaper and a foam pad to sharpen it in. A progressive mix of grits should sharpen and polish that out.

ROCK6

·
Here's a man who stood up
641 Posts
Wow! Only a week old and it already chipped from chopping branches!?! Looks like you were chopping barbwire. What kind of steel is the knife made from? I’d get a refund if the metal is failing that badly.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd question the heat treat on it. A knife can be razor sharp and still have heat treat issues. Remember only something harder than the blade should be able to scratch it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd question the heat treat on it. A knife can be razor sharp and still have heat treat issues. Remember only something harder than the blade should be able to scratch it.
This. I don't now much about the pro-versions knife steel, but I've heard it was a good performer. The pro-version blades are a little thicker, but the convex grinds have created a thinner edge for better cutting performance. I've never had a good convex edge chip like that...it's usually one of the more robust cutting bevels.

ROCK6

·
Super Moderator
2,254 Posts
This is a Blind Horse Nessmuk and if I remember correctly in D2. The scratching is similar and normal. And I never thought I'd question blade geometry, but is it possible the "razor sharp" edge was too thin?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts