Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ornery Cur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a bugout guy. I already live out at the end of the line. Our homestead is well-prepared and provisioned.

In the case of hostilities, there are plenty of places out here where I can retreat and draw a line. The last place sits on top of 500' cliffs at a narrow point. There are escape routes off into nowhereland, but we're past the age where we'd want to make our way through that.

I hike and camp all over the place, and know the terrain. I'm thinking I'll set up some caches and figure out pinch-points. A little bit of wire strung out here can create real problems.

I can't defend against a wholescale military assault, but I can make it hard for knuckleheads.

Anybody else plan to fallback where they are?

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,548 Posts
I'm not a bugout guy. I already live out at the end of the line. Our homestead is well-prepared and provisioned.

In the case of hostilities, there are plenty of places out here where I can retreat and draw a line. The last place sits on top of 500' cliffs at a narrow point. There are escape routes off into nowhereland, but we're past the age where we'd want to make our way through that.

I hike and camp all over the place, and know the terrain. I'm thinking I'll set up some caches and figure out pinch-points. A little bit of wire strung out here can create real problems.

I can't defend against a wholescale military assault, but I can make it hard for knuckleheads.

Good way of describing what many of us living rural are thinking.

Living a couple of days in the bush is not very hard and keeping my critical supplies in Burried caches keeps things safe from intruders and forest fires.

·
Ornery Cur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good way of describing what many of us living rural are thinking.

Living a couple of days in the bush is not very hard and keeping my critical supplies in Burried caches keeps things safe from intruders and forest fires.
Yeah, exactly. Living in the bush from a base camp with supplies is a whole different matter than running of into the unknown with what's on your back.

There are plenty of places out here where nobody other than me ever goes, unless I take them.

I already have a couple of campsites. It'll take very little work and investment to prep for a dire situation. Countless places to hide out, including supply caches.

·
Ornery Cur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured that I was bugging-out when I left the city, moved out into the woods and began building a house. Now 10 years later, I have to concede that my bug-out has became a bug-in.

As my wife tells me every time I bring it up, we will be better off then 99.95% of the rest of the population.
I just wanted to live in a wild place. "Civilized" life has gotten worse since then, and now I'm happy to live in a place that's a bit removed from it all.

·
Ornery Cur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look up bug in vs bug out and you'll find more threads than you can read in a week. The general consensus is to bug in if you can, but be prepared to bug out if you have to. Common sense really and how I'm prepared also.
I've read threads here suggesting that a bug out location and preparations are essential, no matter what your circumstances or location. Bug outs and backups for the bug outs.

I don't agree. Some of us at some point will dig in and make do as best we can. My resources are best put to use right here where I live. But I do have room to move around, rather than sitting in place.

No guarantees. I can live with that.

Not to say that I'll be helpless if circumstances somehow force me from my home. I just don't have pre-conceived plans and resources sitting elsewhere - too many variables. If things get bad enough to kick me out of here, it'll be much worse anywhere else that I can think of.

·
I don't think....so
367 Posts

Wife and I moved to our BOL. So there won't be a fall back or bug out from here. Live and die here regardless of the situation. As one member here once said "why would I want to die somewhere else". Welcome to the board btw.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Bugging out is about far more than hostile intruders.

I mean, if an earthquake totals your house, a flood takes out the whole area, wildfire starts destroying the entire area, or things like that you are going to HAVE to bug out if you want to survive...

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,682 Posts
The guy who lived on the land where the first pitched battle of the Civil War was fought decided it was a bad place. He and his family bugged out. A few years later he found that his bug out location was also a poor place to be-- Appomattox. From the very first battle to the last, he couldn't get a break. :eek::

·
Registered
189 Posts
The guy who lived on the land where the first pitched battle of the Civil War was fought decided it was a bad place. He and his family bugged out. A few years later he found that his bug out location was also a poor place to be-- Appomattox. From the very first battle to the last, he couldn't get a break. :eek::

I live in the place where his first house was. I'm maybe 400 yards from the Little Bull Run. His second house, if he stayed there, that's his fault. He had plenty of warning the war was coming to him.

·
BOHICA
471 Posts
Bug in for me. I have an open view to the front right and left of my property from the house. Rear view is not bad. Having 92 acres people always think that I'm well off. I am fairly prepared, well stocked with food and armed with trained family members. My German Shepherd alerts to any outdoor activity to the point it is annoying sometimes as I have deer come close enough to alert him but reassuring that he does not miss anything.

My concern as far as intruders is that there is a county jail and a county work camp/jail about 10 miles away and I'm about 11 miles from town. Easy enough walk if things were to get bad. I feel that I'm prepared for most anything though and do have a few stash/cache areas in the woods.

As far as bugging out, it would be in the event of hurricanes. I have dealt with several over the years. The plan is to stay in, but with a hurricane you do have the benefit of advanced weather reporting in order to make an informed decision to bug out. Those bug out supplies are stacked on a pallet and can be loaded onto my truck in a few minutes.

Scenarios vary by geography and your location and level of preparedness.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I don't think "fallback" is a particularly useful idea. First of, why would your house be attacked? There are many many reasons: if one lives in a city or a suburb, then the whole thing will be totally destroyed by fires, angry mobs etc. Nuked, for all practical purposes.
If one lives in a REALLY remote area, he (and everyone else there) would still be attacked. For supplies, women, out of spite. To gain a new base of operations against others. And to successfully attack a typical (or even atypical) house is as easy as taking candy from a baby.
On the tactical level: how would you even know you are ready to be attacked? "They" would surely reconnoiter your place before the attack (the criminals do it TODAY!). They can kill the homeowner when (if) he gets out of the house. For whatever reason. Or they would use many other, foolproof ways for an attack. Now, if you somehow manage to fallback, you have lost already. They don't even have to go after you. And if one could not defend his house, with all the preps and tricks he could think of (and for many many years) how can he survive with less?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I think we're debating semantics. A bug-out location could be a well-stocked, defensible, previously established location, like your Uncle Bob's farm. But not all of us have that. And while bugging in is the choice for 90% of us 90% of the time, we all need a Plan B.

As ForestBeeKeeper suggested, once you live full-time at your BOL, you are probably bugging in, not "already bugged out" . But you need a back-up plan. And just because you bug-out again, does not mean you plan on living there forever.

The OP has the wisdom, and taken the time, to recon a few spots on ground just in case Plan A goes to crap. In my opinion, that's the minimum standard for a bug-out location. Stockpile it if you can. Make range cards and boobytraps if you can. But the important thing is have that well-thought out spot on the ground.

Not the Taj Mahal, not the Maginot Line, not the Tower of London. A previously reconned and discussed spot on the ground to flee to if your life absolutely depended on it.

It's a BOL. No need to make things more complicated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Depend on what happens, there's another option: fight. Perhaps adaptable to natural disasters too. Most everyone is adopting a defensive strategy. But, if you look at the likelihood of successfully bugging out to anything but a well-prepared BOL, it isn't going to happen. Maybe one in a thousand could successfully bug out and live to tell about it in a SHTF situation.

I think it's a better plan to identify a group who will fight together if bug out is required. You are much better off in a prepared group with a variety of skills, supplies and abilities than trying to defensively hunker down in the woods with limited food, no continuing food sources that you can name. Hopefully, you have a method of cleaning water and a source for it. Shelter? What? A tent? That would be a 60 day solution. Then what? Build a cabin maybe? If you have the skills maybe. Where were you getting food again to give you the strength to do that? Nope, I think you are better off approaching it as a group. By group, I'm talking platoon sized or better.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Platoon-sized group has no chance of survival. Brcause the only place where such a group is even possible, is the area where the opposition would number hundreds or even thousands. The ONLY chance of survival would happen in a remote, difficult to access (but easy to block), thinly settled area. And the only group to exist in such an area would be a family.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,682 Posts
Where I live now is a bug-in location. I intend to hold here if possible. In the case of something making this place uninhabitable (fire, toxic substance release, etc.) I have friends and family we can go to. Some close, some states away. Those are bug-out locations.

If absolutely needed we have a cabin in the mountains. It's a fun off-grid vacation spot at the moment, decently stocked and ready, but can't sustain long-term. (Steep slope, rocky ground and high elevation so no hope of food growing. We consider it an escape and evade location. No way a whole group with grandmas and little kids could thrive long term there. Decent place for partisan guerrillas though! LOL

·
Ornery Cur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Out here at the end of the line. It's not a deal of surviving forever after the end of the civilized world. It's a place to duck and cover, figure out what's going on.

Once again, the homestead is stout. This is a place (places) to retreat to. If the homestead can't be defended.

I go out of my way to know my neighbors. Some are useful, some are useless pricks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.