Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far these are the seeds I have on hand for a fall garden:
Champion Collards, Purple Top Turnips, Siberian Dwarf Kale, and Diakon Radish.

I'm planning on a type of Mustard and some Swiss Chard. I should have the garden patch composted, plowed, and disced in the next 2 weeks.

I'd appreciate any constructive suggestion and words of wisdom. I only grew Diakon Radish last year as a cover crop.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
Really, anything fast maturing. I'm going to plant a couple kinds of kale, cabbage, kohl rabi, chinese cabbage, lettuce, peas, carrots and I think I'm going to try broccoli again. I think there were a couple other packs of seeds I laid out but can't remember without looking--maybe some bush beans.

Just went and looked---I have some 'Joy Choi' pak choi I'll grow. I haven't grown them for years, they're kind of bland little vegetables but good fiber and they grew really easy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any greens/dark greens will do well. Make sure they have a good maturity time (the less time the better).

Laying straw or something near the roots of the plants when it gets later into the season will help with the cold. Also consider there will be less daylight in the fall going into the winter, so plants that need a lot of light will not do so well.

I think everything you listed should do well, I would add brocolli into the mix as it has very thick leafs, does well when the cold comes around, and from one to two heads you can get enough seeds for the next year.

When doing brocolli, if you remove 1/4 of the head to eat or less, it will continue to grow and produce more. Just a little factoid to throw in there :)

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Get some 10-15Y seed.

They are a yellow onion and are supposed to be planted on October 15th.

I also suggest rutabaga.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I may be able to have a small garden ready by the fall, but am concerned with it being August and 100 degree heat when to plant the seeds? I'm a little confused about when to start them since winter can come here early or late or only for a day ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't forget to plant onion seeds and garlic cloves. I also started a mixture of hearty letices. And carrots. I have several **** that I keep in the window.
How long do onion seeds take to sprout, i planted at end of july and nothing is showing now its mid november

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I am far enough south (North Texas/Oklahoma border) that we can grow here all winter with winter type crops if you get them established good before the really cold weather hits. I tried my first winter garden here about 8-9 years ago and it was so productive and low maintenance I cant believe I didnt start that type of gardening earlier in life. What the heck was I thinking...oh yeah thats right I wasnt!

If you can, give it a shot in your area. You might be surprised at your success! I grow lots of pea's, snow pea's, broccoli, spinach, diacon radish, cabbage and swiss chard. Its not much but its enough to be a welcomed bounty in the dead of winter on the dinner table. In my garden beds, there is very pecious little down time year round!!!

·
gardener & news junkie
3,488 Posts
I don't have much luck with direct sowing of onions so I start them indoors in market packs (the size of 6-packs but no dividers) and grow them under the lights. They take about 3-5 days to pop up. I found that they come up best if they're just barely covered. Then as they grow they get a haircut now and then to keep them around 3-4" tall. It will take about 8 weeks for them to get about 1/8" thick but that size transplants well for me so they get started in August for October planting down here.

When it's time to plant, they get put in a bowl of water and are very easily separated there.

Then I lay them on a wet paper towel and cover the roots with another piece of paper towel to keep them moist until all are separated and on their way to the garden.

As you can see, I forgot to give them a final haircut.

Maybe you could play with this method with scallions in a pot. You could do that without even having to do seedlings first. Just direct sow and cover the pot with some plastic wrap until the first seeds pop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts