Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to see what other people have put up from their garden. So far I have done:

-28 quarts of red potatoes
-36 quarts of dill pickles
-6 quarts of sweet refrigerator pickles
-30ish quarts of tomato/chili sauce
-60+ pints of salsa
-45 pints of green beans
-6 quarts and 14 pints of sauerkraut

As well as around 30 lbs of onions and another 25 lbs of red potatoes in bins.

Anybody here completely self sufficient from their garden for vegetables? I'm just wondering what amount of jars/garden it would take to get a family of four to that point.

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,219 Posts
Just want to see what other people have put up from their garden. So far I have done:

-28 quarts of red potatoes
-36 quarts of dill pickles
-6 quarts of sweet refrigerator pickles
-30ish quarts of tomato/chili sauce
-60+ pints of salsa:)
-45 pints of green beans
-6 quarts and 14 pints of sauerkraut

As well as around 30 lbs of onions and another 25 lbs of red potatoes in bins.

Anybody here completely self sufficient from their garden for vegetables? I'm just wondering what amount of jars/garden it would take to get a family of four to that point.

Good job looks like you've Runamok :D:

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I gave up counting long ago... :)

This year I did 86 quarts of grape juice. Over 150 jars of applejuice/sauce/pie filling/butter (in pints and quarts). Around 100 pints of green beans. Over 100 quarts of tomato sauce/juice.

I figure for me, if I were to try to live off my canned food (along with stored flour/sugar/rice, etc.)... let's say an average of 2-3 jars a day (and providing that you could refrigerate leftovers). In the summer you may not need as many as you will be able to have some fresh from the garden instead of using canned. So at that rate, you'd be looking at 600-900 jars, and that's for 1-2 people.

I am nowhere near being self-sufficient from the garden. But I preserve as much as I can.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave up counting long ago... :)

This year I did 86 quarts of grape juice. Over 150 jars of applejuice/sauce/pie filling/butter (in pints and quarts). Around 100 pints of green beans. Over 100 quarts of tomato sauce/juice.

I figure for me, if I were to try to live off my canned food (along with stored flour/sugar/rice, etc.)... let's say an average of 2-3 jars a day (and providing that you could refrigerate leftovers). In the summer you may not need as many as you will be able to have some fresh from the garden instead of using canned. So at that rate, you'd be looking at 600-900 jars, and that's for 1-2 people.

I am nowhere near being self-sufficient from the garden. But I preserve as much as I can.
Thanks, that's what I had in mind but wanted to hear it from someone a bit more experienced!

·
Red Dot Patrol
5,013 Posts
I experimented with canning pork and beef. Canned some carrots, potatoes and milk. And, some poke berry jelly. The [email protected]&%ing squirrels ate all my apples. The city won't let us kill the little bastards. Oh, yeah... the city won't let us have chickens or rabbits in our back yards, either. I'm moving asap.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
I experimented with canning pork and beef. Canned some carrots, potatoes and milk. And, some poke berry jelly. The [email protected]&%ing squirrels ate all my apples. The city won't let us kill the little bastards. Oh, yeah... the city won't let us have chickens or rabbits in our back yards, either. I'm moving asap.
That's why the new air rifles have integral sound suppressors. :D: :D: :D:

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Thanks, that's what I had in mind but wanted to hear it from someone a bit more experienced!
In MN you should have other good options for storage too, like a nice cool root cellar.

I only have about 50 gallons (mostly pints and quarts) canned, but around one and a quarter tons of roots, tubers, bulbs, squash and apples. It has a shorter life and higher risk of deterioration, but requires a lot less processing.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
We can and freeze.

so far;

1/4 of a beef cut up and frozen.

60 lbs of Tomatos, both canned and frozen

30 lbs of string beans.

55 ears of sweet corn.

30 lbs of winter squash.

20 lbs of sugar pumpkin.

60 lbs of apples, frozen, apple butter, apple sauce and pressed cider.

100 lbs of potatoes, in the pantry, some mashed and frozen.

15 lbs of seedless grapes canned.

20 lbs of butter, frozen.

16 cases of SPAM (food of the gods)

10 + lbs of assorted cheeses, frozen

12 lbs of broccoli

This year I have taken to try and keep a salad all winter long from just the stuff I can grow inside, my romaine lettuce is doing great in the window sill.

·
Red Dot Patrol
5,013 Posts
SAINT: That's great! I've been wanting to do an indoor bed of lettuces through the winter. I thought I'd fill a 2'x'3' plastic utility tub with soil, an electrical strip of soil warming cord and put some fluorescent lights over it and see what pops up this winter in my basement.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
SAINT: That's great! I've been wanting to do an indoor bed of lettuces through the winter. I thought I'd fill a 2'x'3' plastic utility tub with soil, an electrical strip of soil warming cord and put some fluorescent lights over it and see what pops up this winter in my basement.
i cannot believe how fast my romaine lettuce has regrown.

This is store bought romaine, cut off about 2 inches above the base and I cut an X in the root base, put it in a cup of water and it started re-sprouting leaves after only 2 days, its been two weeks and its already 8" tall.

·
Super Moderator
20,619 Posts

This is store bought romaine, cut off about 2 inches above the base and I cut an X in the root base, put it in a cup of water and it started re-sprouting leaves after only 2 days, its been two weeks and its already 8" tall.
Are you just leaving it in the cup of water? Are you going to plant it in dirt?

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Are you just leaving it in the cup of water? Are you going to plant it in dirt?
yes will plant it, right now its an experiment. so far just water and sunlight in the window.

Im doing the same to a sweet potato.

Reactions: jdode

·
Red Dot Patrol
5,013 Posts

Santa Vacca! I have to try that!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Meat-17qts 60pts-roast beef tips 3pts Prime Rib Ground Beef 8qts 22pts
9qts 17pts Corn Beef 38qts 12pts Chicken 4qts 2pts Bacon
5pts smoked chicken 2 pts smoked turkey

Veggies- Jams- 5Blackberry, 12 Strawberry, and 19 Apple Butter
7qts 10pts Baby Carrots Black-Eyed Peas- 28qts 24pts
Pinto Beans 18qts 27pints Great Northern-24 pts
Corn-30pts Crowder Peas 7pts Black Beans 6pts
Yellow Squash 9qts 8pts Tomatoes 10qts
Potatoes 9qts 4pts Sliced Okra 5qts
Kidney Beans 6pts Green Beans 5qts 3pts

This was my first yr canning. I learned thru this site and recommendations from books. Most of my supplies were given to me(canner and many jars). Meats I bought most reduced(beef tips were scraps to be trashed from my work). This was in preparation for my losing my job. I had a near 6 mth notice. Learning and doing was such great therapy and now I don't have to worry about food for my family. I won't be qualifying for any assistance due to owning property. Veggies were dry beans canned(very cheap and SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO good) and most of the fresh veggies were extras from kind people. Money wasn't a problem so I was able to get lots of stores,long term food,dehydrator,sun oven, water stores,filters,supplies for first-aid etc....and next season.my own garden. Now, money will be a problem....no unemployment(was business owner so no benefits) no job,no income at all.most of all.........when the new yr starts our insurance will be more than a 40 hr job will pay after taxes,,,,,,that is ONCE I get one. We OWN everything we have......only utility payments..........I don't see how anyone can purchase a house,car,etc,,,,,anymore. Back to topic......I havn't counted my jars but......I'm thankful for them and will continue to collect everything I am gifted with food,jars,knowledge, I love my new hobby and therapy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Fall Ya'll!

·
Quiting is not an option!
232 Posts
Good job everyone! That's a lot of work. I am very interested in the Romanesque lettuce and am going to try it.
Also I suggest looking into meals in a jar. These are dry meals.

·
<--My Faverolle Chicken
878 Posts
Here is a run down of some of what I have from this years harvest (been opening a jar here and there and giving some to family and friends):

jelly (blackberry, muscadine, apple, peach) - 33 half pints
apple butter - 8 half pints
pears - 15 pints
relish (green tomato and jalapeno) - 9 half pints
beets (didn't do very well for me) - 3 half pints
limas (ate most of them fresh) - 3 pints
carrots - 4 pints (some stored in the basement)
winter squash - 9 pints
peaches - 6 quarts + 6 pint 1/2s
tomatoes - 30 pints
pickles (both sweet and sour) - 41 pints
green beans - 39 pints
apple sauce - 9 quarts + 15 pints
apple pie filling - 12 quarts
Also in the basement storage:
white, red, and purple potatoes
sweet potatoes

Hope the fall vegis do well for us. Planted cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, chard, and just put in some garlic today. Still need to put in our perennial onions...never tried them before hopefully they do better then my summer planted onions. Those did not do great...I think it was a bit too shady where we had them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just learned to pressure can,water bath can & dehydrate last year..I feel meat is the #1 thing to can so thats where I started first!

Heres what Ive pressure canned so far..
Meatloaf
Beef in wine sauce
Chicken breast skinless boneless
Taco meat
Chili
Tomato sauce w/meat

Between quarts and pints I have roughly 150 jars of the meat so far.

Water bath canned..
Blackberry jam ( from my berry bush's)
Peach jam (peaches free from my sons job)
Peach pie filling ( peaches free from my sons job)
Apple pie filling ( apples free from my sons job)
Apple butter ( apples free from my sons job)
Apple sauce ( apples free from my sons job)
Cole Slaw
Pickles
Dilly beans

Between quarts and pints roughly 50 cans..

Dehydrated then vacuumed sealed in canning jars..
Mixed veggies ( bought on sale)
Corn ( bought on sale)
Peas ( bought on sale)
Blueberry's ( bought on sale)
Zucchini ( from my garden)
Sliced potatoes ( potatoes bought on sale that I peel,baked and used my mandolin to slice)
Shredded potatoes ( potatoes bought on sale that I peeled,boil and shredded myself)
Sweet Potatoes ( bought on sale,baked,spread on dehydrator sheet,then processed into a powder)
Parsley ( from my garden)
Sage ( from my garden)
Rosemary (from my garden)
Oregano ( from my garden)
Thyme ( from my garden)
Halbanero peppers( from my garden,dehydrated the ground into a powder)

Between quarts and pints and 1/2 pints I roughly have 10 jars..

I also vacuum seal in canning jars..

Candy...peanut butter cups,peppermint patties,hershey kisses,Hershey Miniatures (I bought on clearance 2-yrs ago..still as fresh as the day I opened the bag!)

Chocolate chips, white chocolate chips peanut butter chips,toffee chips,butter scotch chips ( bought on sale... 3-yrs old now and they look like I had just opened the bag!)

Pecans,Walnuts,Pine Nuts,Almond Slivers ( some as old as 3-yrs..still as fresh as I bought them!)

Saltine Crackers

Tricuits Crackers

Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies,Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies

Almost all canned in 1/2-gallon,quart & pint jars roughly 40-jars.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts