Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was scrolling through my Facebook feed when an ad came up for a prepping facebook page. The ad was something along the lines of "Best prepping website on the Internet."

We all know SurvivalistBoards is the best prepping / survivalist site on the internet. Besides that, I thought sure, I will check it out, why not.

So went to the Facebook page for the site, clicked a link and looked through several of their articles. Every article I saw was maybe 200 words, and then a link to another site.

I visited the other site, and guess what, it was the same short articles with no original content. Articles were along the lines of "Stockpile these 10 items now".... the typical click bait article titles.

There was no way to comment on the articles. If there had been a way to leave a comment, I would have called them out for being nothing but a spam site.

It was like the sites were trying to do a link chain where the reader will go from site, to site, to site.... and never read any meaningful information.

I followed one of the articles to three different sites, and on the third site was some pictures and a real article. The final article had nothing to do with what the first site was talking about.

The goal of the sites is to generate ad revenue as easily as possible. Some of the articles are nothing more than pictures from Amazon with a link to Amazon to buy the item. No original content, no hands on, no nothing.

What gets me, some of these pages have a huge followers. They are not providing any real information, maybe just a picture or a meme. None of the articles shows any of the authors doing anything.

I feel those types of sites diminish the overall value of the prepping community. They are set up to do two things:

• Make an amazon sale.
  • Ad impressions / banner clicks.
What happened to the days when preppers / survivalist actually did something? Such as planting a garden, going fishing... etc.

As the founder of this community I try to set an example with my videos, articles, and blog. It seems part of the prepping community has turned into memes, images, and little more. Why learn how to fish when someone can read a meme on how to do it?

Here is one of my recent garden updates:

As this article is written I am 50 years old and remember the cold war. My first grade teacher went over duck and cover drills. Then there was granny with her milk cow, chickens, guineas, fig tree, pear treas... etc. My grandfather always had a garden. I remember picking strawberries when I was maybe 5 years old. Feeding the chickens, fishing, pulling potatoes as far back as I can remember

The so called "prepping" I see spamming on facebook is a far cry from what "real" prepping is. It is sad to see more people interested in memes and images than actually getting out and doing stuff.

Thank you for letting me vent.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And who exactly is going to stop you? :thumb:
Then thank you for reading.

How many of us remember reading American Survival Guide, and Solider of Fortune? How many of us ordered books from Paladin Press? I sure did.

There was once a time when prepping information was difficult to find. Well, difficult by todays standards.

I use to go to the local grocery store every month to buy American Survival Guide. It was a monthly routine. Then that issue was read time and time again. After all, it had to last a whole month until the next issue came out.

Today, people set up websites and put little to no effort into them. A lot of them are nothing more than spam sites that link to other sites.

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
Its just like everything else. Prepping is "trendy"...although I think that peaked a few years ago. Like anything trendy, everyone is trying to cash in on it.

Do you follow weekly book releases? Dozens of trash prepper books get dumped on the market everyweek by people who probably spent a couple weeks on SB forum and decided they knew everything they needed to write a book.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want the straight up truth, I feel I owe you a debt of gratitude for what you've accomplished here, so I always read your stuff.
Thank you.

However, I am nothing more than a humble servant to this community.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
most is clickbait for whatever Chinese copy of a multi function gizmo that replaces everything shown by a guy or gal wearing the current trendy gucci-flage. I could go on, but, you would have to have asbestos paper to handle some of the comments. think as im getting older, im getting more able to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak and just bypass hysteria and opportunism unless im just in the mood for a good fight.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
Those review and top 10 list sites are nothing but spam bait. We are dealing with more spam from them in the last 2 years than in all the years before put together.

How many of us remember reading American Survival Guide, and Solider of Fortune?
I was also an avid reader of ASG and SOF. That's part of what helped me focus on my own goals and helped me source products at the time. Then, before websites were even a thing, the misc.survivalism newsgroup gave me input from others of the same mindset. Even at that, the information was mixed and unvetted.

This site offers an amazing benefit. All that information under the same roof. Much of which is vetted by folks who are extremely knowledgeable or experts in their particular fields. This truly is the best site of it's kind on the net.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thank you.

However, I am nothing more than a humble servant to this community.
It’s sorta funny; I’ve never seen a better, more comprehensive & organized place than here. AND I lurked for years just enjoying the info & especially the fiction (huge shout out to Jerry, Zengunfighter, & too many others to list), that I’ve honestly never even looked elsewhere except for stumbling onto historical stuff on the Gutenberg Project site.

Someone mentioned the reality of repetitive threads earlier in a kind & neutral way & it meant a lot to me cuz tho it’s obvious *many* here would do just fine in “Naked and Afraid”, I’m a complete newbie except for food prep. (I’d say I’m at least a greenhorn in that area lol).

Like Rev, I really appreciate you and just about everyone else here—it’s an awesome resource, fun & mostly “chill” folks who accept newcomers st whatever level they’re at. I’m very grateful SB exists.
Best regards, yankeechick

·
Swirl Herder
3,910 Posts
By way of hypothetical speculation, if an established survival web site ever got to the point where the threads and posts on it were overwhelmingly about politics and religion (rather than about survivalism and prepping), then would that also be a fake survival website?

Perhaps the answer is something to ponder and worthy of vigilance.

·
Don't start no mess
3,786 Posts
By way of hypothetical speculation, if an established survival web site ever got to the point where the threads and posts on it were overwhelmingly about politics and religion (rather than about survivalism and prepping), then would that also be a fake survival website?
Good hypothetical question. And I'd say no, the overwhelming political and religious threads might well be a sign that survivalism and prepping were being dealt with on various levels. When viewed from that perspective, political and religious threads start looking more and more like avoidance, in a whistling past the graveyard sort of way... kind of like arguing semantics when someone suggests that you go **** yourself. :thumb:

·
Nail Bender
149 Posts
Let 'em follow those worthless sites and click their way to all the Amazon links and empty articals.
I'll be by shortly to gather up some of their gear off the ground once their lack of sense and knowledge catches up to them, so what 1-4 days.
If people are serious about something they'll find their way to the real web sites, forums, etc. If not, Darwin has already sealed their fate.

Those click bait sites drive me up the wall, they're lucky I'm not a hacker.

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,644 Posts
Thank you for what you do Kev, there is no finer prepping site than Survivalistboards.:thumb::thumb::D::D:

The clickbait pages you refer to are designed to generate income, nothing more. People today are pretty shallow, apparently.

Being an old guy LOL, I remember the duck & cover drills, civil defense shelters and most vividly the Cold War of which I was a participant. Being your standard Mark I Mod-0 Army private I would have been nothing more than a speedbump (if that) had the Russkies come storming through the Fulda Gap.

I took some lessons to heart; using my military training to build on my prepping back then. I was also an avid reader of SOF and ASG. For a while prepping took a back seat as life has a way of changing one's priorities. I let things slide.

Today its different. The world is different and we are all better off having found this place, SurvivalistBoards. Thank you! :thumb:

Was scrolling through my Facebook feed when an ad came up for a prepping facebook page. The ad was something along the lines of "Best prepping website on the Internet."

We all know SurvivalistBoards is the best prepping / survivalist site on the internet. Besides that, I thought sure, I will check it out, why not.

So went to the Facebook page for the site, clicked a link and looked through several of their articles. Every article I saw was maybe 200 words, and then a link to another site.

I visited the other site, and guess what, it was the same short articles with no original content. Articles were along the lines of "Stockpile these 10 items now".... the typical click bait article titles.

There was no way to comment on the articles. If there had been a way to leave a comment, I would have called them out for being nothing but a spam site.

It was like the sites were trying to do a link chain where the reader will go from site, to site, to site.... and never read any meaningful information.

I followed one of the articles to three different sites, and on the third site was some pictures and a real article. The final article had nothing to do with what the first site was talking about.

The goal of the sites is to generate ad revenue as easily as possible. Some of the articles are nothing more than pictures from Amazon with a link to Amazon to buy the item. No original content, no hands on, no nothing.

What gets me, some of these pages have a huge followers. They are not providing any real information, maybe just a picture or a meme. None of the articles shows any of the authors doing anything.

I feel those types of sites diminish the overall value of the prepping community. They are set up to do two things:

• Make an amazon sale.
  • Ad impressions / banner clicks.
What happened to the days when preppers / survivalist actually did something? Such as planting a garden, going fishing... etc.

As the founder of this community I try to set an example with my videos, articles, and blog. It seems part of the prepping community has turned into memes, images, and little more. Why learn how to fish when someone can read a meme on how to do it?

Here is one of my recent garden updates:

Garden Update: Tomatoes Peppers and Okra - YouTube

As this article is written I am 50 years old and remember the cold war. My first grade teacher went over duck and cover drills. Then there was granny with her milk cow, chickens, guineas, fig tree, pear treas... etc. My grandfather always had a garden. I remember picking strawberries when I was maybe 5 years old. Feeding the chickens, fishing, pulling potatoes as far back as I can remember

The so called "prepping" I see spamming on facebook is a far cry from what "real" prepping is. It is sad to see more people interested in memes and images than actually getting out and doing stuff.

Thank you for letting me vent.

How many of us remember reading American Survival Guide, and Solider of Fortune? How many of us ordered books from Paladin Press? I sure did.

There was once a time when prepping information was difficult to find. Well, difficult by todays standards.

I use to go to the local grocery store every month to buy American Survival Guide. It was a monthly routine. Then that issue was read time and time again. After all, it had to last a whole month until the next issue came out.

Today, people set up websites and put little to no effort into them. A lot of them are nothing more than spam sites that link to other sites.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Totally agree with you!

I have a blog (which I am not linking here, I'm not here to spam peeps) and there's a bunch of places out there that take my content, put together an infographic, a clickbait title, use the first two paragraphs that we wrote, throw a bunch of amazon links on the page, then somewhere is a clickthrough for my website.

We don't do advertising in any way, shape or form, we don't have affiliate links, it is 100 percent non-revenue (we are doing it as a mission, not as a way to make money) and it's VERY annoying when people take our hard work, basically steal it and monetize it.

You are dead on the money on this thread!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I remember when lots of the guys at my school were all in a flutter over Paladin Press because of the latest incarnation of "The Anarchist's Cookbook"... the all seemed to think it made them so "bad"....

I was sitting here with over 25 Paladin Press books in my possession at the time, and none of them really on active display. I had been hitting used book stores, ordering through the mail, and stuff like that. I'd had The Cookbook for two years (and had made a bunch of the stuff in it) when they all "discovered" it, but I kept my mouth shut.

I bought SOF all the time (in the newspaper stand; my Dad was a cop and would have freaked if he saw me subscribe.... SOF had a bad rep here in Canada in the 80's). Still have a whole bunch of issues in boxes. Loved ASG when I could get it...I discovered it just when it got hard to find...

Honestly, my exploration of stuff like those media forms are what shaped me into a preparedness type over a retreatist type. From 16-20, my main plan was run to the hills for like 98% of all events; I had the lone wolf/Rambo/mountain man fantasy all wrapped up tight.

Then I got more extensively educated about this stuff and realized that, yeah, there are times to do that but not for ALL events. I also came to see how unrealistic some of my previous "plans" and expectations had been.

This recent slew of click bait prepping, You Tube instructionals, and Facebook like seekers are just an internet extension of the mass production of prep manuals and literature out there.

Quality varies, substance varies, and content may have settled during shipping.

Buyer (or browser) beware.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Paladin Press is/was a joke.

The weren't always. Near the end, they struggled to stay relevent and lost site of their real customer base. This, and the proliferation of internet available media, doomed them.

Many of there manuals were copies of military manuals that you can now get free off the internet.

Some of us were into this stuff before the Internet. THAT was a different situation. Paladin Press was one of the ONLY ways most people could get a hold of real stuff. They did put out a lot of crap (stuff written by total poseurs and passed off as authoritative) but some of what they put out was valuable, hard to access stuff before the days of going online.

Trust me when I say that when I was 16 there were no book stores and such in my town selling anything like what Paladin Press made available.

There is and has never been a copyright on any military manual.
just changing the front page and trying to sell it does not give copyright to the seller.
https://archive.org/details/military-manuals
It is not about copyright of the contents; it is about copyright of the collection, format, presentation etc of the material. They are not copyrighting the manuals as much as the CD-ROM and packaging they created to sell the manuals as part of.

·
Registered
373 Posts

ASG is being published again, just got a subscription. good magazine

1 - 20 of 35 Posts