Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,955 Posts
Talking to one of my drivers, young, ignorant, liberal, he said he wanted to become a vegan but it was too expensive.

It is if you eat all that processed crap. Lentils are cheap, and vegan.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I haven't tried any real fake meat. I tried beef patties laced with pea protein isolate and it took a lot of A1 Sauce to get them down. A few weeks back I tried beef patties with 25% mushroom content and they weren't bad but I think I'll just stick with 100% beef.

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,527 Posts
I was at dinner with some folks awhile back and the wife is a Vegan, so her husband is too. Yeah, he's a *****. Anyway, he ordered a beyond meat burger and his wife tried it. She said she thought it was real and felt like she was going to throw up. After that I had to try one. Definitely not like real beef. The taste wasn't bad, nor the texture. If no one told me what it was I might just mistake it for flavorless and very finely ground beef. I won't order one again though.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I don't understand the whole fake meat idea. First because I don't like highly processed foods. And second, if you don't like meat or think it is unethical why would you want to try and trick yourself into thinking what your are eating is just like meat.

As an example, I think eating babies is wrong, I don't go to the grocery store and ask if they have any fake baby meat so I can get all the flavor of baby meat without the moral issues of the real thing.(I hope everyone understands that is an example pushed to the extreme and is meant to be absurd and not a real example)

·
Registered
12 Posts
it is cheaper to buy bulk textured veg protein and make yourself if that is your thing.

TVP+commercial chicken bullion powder or pork bullion powder and spices... not too bad.

oatmeal+powdered egg+spices+water, formed into a dough and fried makes a okay chicken patty.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,955 Posts
TVP is very good. Rainy Day Foods has some excellent ones, the Taco and the BBQ are very good.

My husband has no idea they are not the real thing, and I'm not telling.

When I get my house fixed up I plan to buy a fair amount, more, of the TVP in fact, to go with my rice.

But I believe God hardwired us humans to eat meat and we crave it, that's why they have to make that processed crap for the vegans.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I sometimes go for the veggie options to give them a test try. Safeway recently had one of those all inclusive kits in their deli, basically all the ingredients for a recipe neatly packaged with instructions on how to make it. I saw a mushroom burger one and thought it looked good. I forget the actual secondary ingredients, but the main ingredient was Portobello mushrooms that you put in a food processor and mince em up.

I have to say it was really freaking good, not as good as a beef burger though. The problem is... Although some of the veggie options are good, I'd rather have the real thing than the alternative.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sometimes go for the veggie options to give them a test try. Safeway recently had one of those all inclusive kits in their deli, basically all the ingredients for a recipe neatly packaged with instructions on how to make it. I saw a mushroom burger one and thought it looked good. I forget the actual secondary ingredients, but the main ingredient was Portobello mushrooms that you put in a food processor and mince em up.

I have to say it was really freaking good, not as good as a beef burger though. The problem is... Although some of the veggie options are good, I'd rather have the real thing than the alternative.
I made steak Dianne with mushrooms and no meat. It was pretty good, but gave me bad gas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts