Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,911 Posts
I’ve heard, but I don’t know, that they could even call me back. Even tho I did the navy for only six years.

After penicillin, but before AIDS. So you have a general time frame.
Each enlistment starts with an eight [8] year obligation. Say that you served for four years on Active Duty and 'got out', you would still be on the hook for the next four years. But only if Congress requires it.

If you had served on Active Duty for six years and gotten out you would have had an additional 2 years on the hook.

Once your Active Duty serve exceeds eight years that extra obligation crap ends.

For folks who have served beyond 20 years, we get a retainer check that keeps us obligated.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well, if they call me back, I’m gonna have to have the middle rack. And they need to get me a special size TempurPedic that fits in there. And no mid watch, and the ladders are gonna be too steep for me.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Keep in mind that consumption taxes affect the poor more than the rich.
Poor people have to spend all of their money. The rich don't.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It’s all academic anyway. They will never try to fix the tax code. Regular people who get up and go to work everyday don’t have any lobbyists. Pretty sure the politicians aren’t going to suddenly start looking out for us.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yes, and at this point the bottom 50% pay nothing and most of them benefit from the work of the top 50%. Skin in the game is crucial to having accountable government. The bulk of the nation in some way benefiting from government, at the expense of the Republic and of those that don't benefit is what has led us to wholly unaccountable, criminally wasteful, inept, corrupt government on both sides of the isle.

The other route to fix the problem is to only allow net taxpayers to vote, which I'm also fine with. No skin in the game, no vote.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
How much is a "fair share" of taxes?
No such thing. There is only what the people can stomach. I would say the right level of taxes allows growth and innovation while funding shared community priorities.

With regards to consumption tax, proponents have decided that it is simpler than income tax. Well income tax was a lot simpler when it started too. There is a lot more room for fraud and government manipulation with sales tax

1) government trying to punish particular industries with variable taxes (e.g. guns)
2) government tracking of everything you purchase to ensure that you pay the correct tax
3) many orders of magnitude more transactions to keep track of than payroll. Each person has at most 52 payroll transactions/year but many more purchase transactions
4) Easier to bypass taxes than with payroll via black markets and smuggling

You arent thinking hard enough how sales tax will be abused if you think it will be simpler than income tax.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Where do you think aircraft and missile programs get their test pilots?
We dont hand them over to the military test squadron till operational testing.
In fact, almost all the program managers are retired (or reserve) military.
So what. The point is not their usefulness or employment. The point is either a person is a retired federal employee or not. Double dipping is not fair to taxpayers. A person should not be able to draw a Federal Retirement Check and a Federal Employee Check at the same time.

Plus I am not sure your example holds water completely. Some test pilots are not retired military and some test pilots or program managers work for the aircraft manufacturer not the government.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Bull crap.
Which would you rather have...a teacher with 30 years experience (No state I know of lets teachers retire at 20) or one with zero, that may flake out in 3 years? You pay them the same , so to me, it seems obvious, especially when you have no decent candidates in the position. It’s HARD finding math teachers

The retired military that move into jobs they created, running a rec center or a PX? I’m with you. But the fact is, the experience and understanding many of those guys have is FAR too valuable to let it go, in many areas.

All of that said...I do believe there should be an extra layer of eyes....companies promising a job to a decision maker to buy their stuff in return for a job in a few years is criminal, in my book.
What I would rather have is irrelivant. A SC school teacher must work "28 years and contribute 7 percent of her salary to her account each month to build her retirement bank." However I have know teachers to retire early by contributing the 7% for the number of years short of 28.

I still say a person is either a retired state employee or an employee. The two should be mutually exclusive. For a person to draw a state retirement check and a state employee check at the same time is unfair to state taxpayers.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
You arent thinking hard enough how sales tax will be abused if you think it will be simpler than income tax.
I agree. I was a plant manager in the UK. You cannot have a federal state tax without it becoming a value added tax. Such drives all industry out.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
What I would rather have is irrelivant. A SC school teacher must work "28 years and contribute 7 percent of her salary to her account each month to build her retirement bank." However I have know teachers to retire early by contributing the 7% for the number of years short of 28.

I still say a person is either a retired state employee or an employee. The two should be mutually exclusive. For a person to draw a state retirement check and a state employee check at the same time is unfair to state taxpayers.
Does any state allow that? It’s a different issue with military. The military dies nor want low grade NCOs or officers who are well past their physical prime. They give you an extremely modest pension ( though generous for the time served) and you need a second career to live much past the poverty line. OTOH, somebody with a work and average intelligence can do very well sarting a second career, particularly with military training. It’s insane for civilian agencies not to hire these guys. NWS can hire a retired NCO already trained on the exact weather radar (WS-88D) they operate. with a demonstrated work ethic. Vs hiring off the street, rolling the dice and them seeing if they have the aptitude for it.

Federal civilian, you can’t come back without stopping your retirement, except in very odd and unusual positions. In a really bad wildfire year, agencies can rehire retirees for a short period of time to fill management slots. Having experienced people in those positions hopefully keeps the other firefighters productive and safe. DOD had a program where recently retired flag grade officers were hired as mentors to new officers is similar positions.

BTW, to answer the earlier question, military has a very good 401(k)), but not matching contributions.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Retired is retired. I do not believe a person should be able to retire from the military (Federal Government Retiree) then take a Federal job.

I do not believe a teacher should be able to retire with 20 years (State Retiree) then go back to work for the state.

Retired is retired. What you do in retirement is your business so long as you are not double dipping on the tax payers.

All government jobs are a burden on taxpayers.

That is what the rules (laws) should be.

I'll use this analogy. I believe the designated hitter rule is an abomination to baseball. Now if I was hired to be an American League manager or coach, I would use a designated hitter.

I may not like a rule or law but if that be the rule or law I owe it to my team or self and family to use the rules and laws to our advantage.
Just playing devils advocate here. I just retired from my small business and sold it. I’m only 56 (in years, in mileage like 76) but I shouldn’t be able to go get a job because I retired? My job wasn’t the military and I don’t think social security will be around much longer but I plan on applying when eligible. Why should I not get a job in retirement or why should military not be able too?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Just playing devils advocate here. I just retired from my small business and sold it. I’m only 56 (in years, in mileage like 76) but I shouldn’t be able to go get a job because I retired? My job wasn’t the military and I don’t think social security will be around much longer but I plan on applying when eligible. Why should I not get a job in retirement or why should military not be able too?
He isn't for people getting double retirement off of the taxpayer. Double dipping used to be extremely common in government jobs.

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Sure you should be able to get a job or start an new business you are free to do so.

I am just saying if you are retired from the Federal Government, you should not be able to come back to a federal job and collect two Federal checks. You can come out of retirement and work for the Feds again; even increasing your retirement to be collected later. You are either a Federal retiree or employee not both at the same time.

The same goes for State employees/retirees.

Would you let an employee you laid off collect unemployment and at the same time come back to work for you paid cash under the table?

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Yes, and at this point the bottom 50% pay nothing and most of them benefit from the work of the top 50%. Skin in the game is crucial to having accountable government. The bulk of the nation in some way benefiting from government, at the expense of the Republic and of those that don't benefit is what has led us to wholly unaccountable, criminally wasteful, inept, corrupt government on both sides of the isle.

The other route to fix the problem is to only allow net taxpayers to vote, which I'm also fine with. No skin in the game, no vote.
I suppose there might be some place with no sales taxes, no property taxes, no excise taxes.
Excise taxes are imposed on fuel, tobacco, alcohol, airline tickets...
Sales taxes vary by state but most have them.
Even if you rent you are paying property taxes.
People who work pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.

So, homeless people are paying sales taxes if they spend any money.
Illegal immigrants are likely to work, and therefore pay all those mentioned above.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Sure you should be able to get a job or start an new business you are free to do so.

I am just saying if you are retired from the Federal Government, you should not be able to come back to a federal job and collect two Federal checks. You can come out of retirement and work for the Feds again; even increasing your retirement to be collected later. You are either a Federal retiree or employee not both at the same time.

The same goes for State employees/retirees.

Would you let an employee you laid off collect unemployment and at the same time come back to work for you paid cash under the table?
the federal govt should be a short term job for enthusiastic young people. After 5-10 years the pay should be so bad people are constantly leaving for the private sector to make room for the next group of new people. People who do really well in college should get automatic eligibility for govt jobs. There should be no retirement, the pay should be worse than the private sector.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I suppose there might be some place with no sales taxes, no property taxes, no excise taxes.
Excise taxes are imposed on fuel, tobacco, alcohol, airline tickets...
Sales taxes vary by state but most have them.
Even if you rent you are paying property taxes.
People who work pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.

So, homeless people are paying sales taxes if they spend any money.
Illegal immigrants are likely to work, and therefore pay all those mentioned above.
Yes, and what percentage of that covers Federal Spending? I 100% agree that spending is the problem, unfortunately the left and the right are too addicted to wasting near unfathomable amounts of money on the golden calves that they worship and will never do what is best for this nation.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts