Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, what should I expect to pay for a S&W 629-4 Mountain gun with Hogue Grips? I'll have to pay $100 in transfer fees and S/H (it's coming from TX to TN). It comes with a box of defense ammo as well. I don't know enough about them to know what I should expect to pay. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
First in line for lunch !
117 Posts
Don't know myself but a good way to find out is to do a search on Gunbroker or some other auction sites and check the "Sold Items" or "Completed Auctions".

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah! Didn't think about checking the sold items on Gunbroker. Thank you. Also, does anyone have any tips on how best to buy a gun from a private individual in another state? We have our FFLs lined up and I was going to pay with PayPal but I'd like to get some advice from people who have done this before or know a thing or two about it.

·
First in line for lunch !
117 Posts
Check the seller's terms Gun stores selling via auction might allow credit card but typically tack on 3% extra. Personal checks or postal money orders are another option.

NEVER send cash through the mail !

Paypal: any gun related words can the sender's and receivers accounts locked and its difficult to get them unlocked.

Paypal is very anti gun !

My own preferred method is to use a US postal money order for payment, sent first class mail with delivery confirmation.

Check your FFL's fees first they hit you with a transfer charge as well as a shipping charge.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've heard how anti-gun PayPal can be. I guess I should send it as a gift or for "services" or something? I know my FFL charges something like $30 bucks but it'll cost me $70 on her end for her FFL and S/H, which seems high but FFLs gouge a lot from what I've seen.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I just won a Gun broker auction for a handgun and the fees to receive said piece set me back over $100. Neither of us were FFLs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That seems to be about the going rate in certain parts of the country. Here in Nashville, most FFLs charge between $30-50 plus $10 background check. The guy I use is on the low end at $30 and I sorta consider myself lucky for it. I think pawn shops charge a lot less so there's always that rout but I've never used them.

The 629-4 MG should be here Tuesday. It's coming in a Spongebob Squarepants case (they were all out of Hello Kitty). This is what happens when you challenge a Texas girl to send it in something fancy. ;)

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I buy alot of guns off of gunbroker and use 2 transfer dealers.
One charges me $20 the other $25. One of them is a member here.

When I lived in Illinois the average transfer fee was $50.

Easiest way to find a cheap transfer dealer is to go here:
http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx
and enter your zip code.

Once you get have a list of local dealers email them and double check what their transfer fee is. Also confim that they will receive new and used guns.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And that they're willing to accept shipments from non FFL holders. Thanks for the advice, drobs. I forgot about the FFL network search.

I'll be happy to have my handgun and be done with the thing today. I was supposed to pick it up yesterday but my dealer never called me despite it arriving at 1115. I woke up around 1500 (I work 3rd shift and sleep during the day) and called him at 1520 after seeing the UPS tracking notification email. He said he was leaving the shop for the day and I would have to get it tomorrow. I was disappointed. I've been anticipating getting my hands on this thing all weekend and to be delayed another 24 hours because my FFL dealer wants to cut out early so he can further pursue his nascent line of 1911s that are going into production is just kinda lame. In a way I don't blame him (I'm small potatoes by comparison) but it ****ed me off nonetheless. Regardless, I'll be getting it this morning.

$20 seems reasonable. I'm paying this dude $30 and he's cheap by comparison to most in the Nashville area. Usually it's closer to $50. I'm fine with a transfer fee but $50+ seems like highway robbery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts