Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was criticized by some for using milk as eye drops so I decided to check on the ingredients in some of the pricey eye drops.

The most common active ingredients include;
polyethylene glycol (PEG)
polyvinyl alcohol
propylene glycol
carboxymethylcellulose
povidone
glycerine
mineral oil or castor oil

You may notice some antifreeze and laxative ingredients up there. Seriously though I have made some eye drops approximating their percentages of PEG (MiraLax), glycerine and castor oil added to a saline solution with pretty good results as a lubricating eye drop. But when I need immediate relief milk is still the first go-to.

Mfgrs use HCL or sodium hydroxide for pH balance but I don't go there.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Boric Acid: My grandma treated us kids many decades ago for pink eye. Never went to the doctor. Make fresh daily, sterile water only (boil), 1 tsp per pint ????

Dry powdered boric acid (use only pharm. grade !) stay's good forever, while I have not used in years (but for bugs), it's in my medicine chest.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what one could do long term if they needed antihistamine eye drops. My need is the opposite and I have enough of the materials I use to make eye drops forever w/o shelf life issues. I don't do pH balance as the ingredients I use don't usually sting. It's not easy to achieve pH balance in small quantities as a single drop of vinegar can lower the pH of a liter of water from 7 to 6.5 and I don't make eye drops by the liter.

I have learned a new trick that keeps my left eyelids from sticking shut during the night. I rub a bit of coconut oil along the rim of my eyelids before bed. My problem is nerve damage in left eyelids due to a shingles episode a few years back.

·
Indefatigable
20,110 Posts
belladonna eye drops?
Visine - one of the ingredients when ingested acts on the CNS in the same manner as antifreeze.
The only common med I am aware of that uses belladonna (class 1) are B&O (belladonna and opium) suppositories. They were used often in ICUs back in the 80's and 90's but now, not so much. The last time I heard of them being prescribed was for a friend of the family who was on palliative care several years ago and I suspect this was for ease of use by the family in a patient who could not swallow.

Reactions: Optimist

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
vvvhttps://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/17/us/visine-eye-drop-poisoning.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/17/us/visine-eye-drop-poisoning.html

visine,don't know the ingrediant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts