Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a bike trailer for a while and could never justify the expense so i decided to build my own using found materials. Provided you have access to basic tools and own or know someone who ownes a welder then you can make this trailer practically for free. I've learned that i am a VERY rusty welder when it comes to arc welding and as such my welds are VERY shoddy. the biggest problem was attaching the base which i scored from the trash but since i was too lazy to weld it or drill holes for bolts i just stuck it on with tie wraps (will probably fix it up a bit later). The mount could do with a bit of adjustment since it's probably the weakest point and tends to unbolt my rear wheel so any feedback would be helpfull. i've taken it for a dry run for about 5km on varying ground but i will take it for a loaded run soon once i get the mount fixed up. Anyway here's the photos as well as a simple diagram to show how i did it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This trailer is much easier to build using simple hand tools. I beefed the frame by using oak in place of plywood. Built it in the 80's still use it today.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1981-07-01/Dime-on-the-Dollar-Bicycle-Trailer.aspx
Ya but the thing is that your bike trailer actually takes lots of time, materials and work. It's a very good trailer by the looks of it too! My point is that my trailer can be done in about 2-4 hours and uses mostly found materials. i've also gotten fond of the 1 wheel approach since it's very stable once you get going. i like that it's made with hand tools though as it's much more feasible for people without access to a welder

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
Ya but the thing is that your bike trailer actually takes lots of time, materials and work. It's a very good trailer by the looks of it too! My point is that my trailer can be done in about 2-4 hours and uses mostly found materials. i've also gotten fond of the 1 wheel approach since it's very stable once you get going. i like that it's made with hand tools though as it's much more feasible for people without access to a welder
I built my trailer in a Saturday afternoon from found materials too. My total cost was $25 for new tires and tubes for the wheels.

·
Every book has an end
206 Posts
Those things rock, I myself have drawn up and built a few. They are simple and very handy. Love your design Inventor. I like how you used what you had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts