Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flashlights have come a long way. The brightness of light can be measured in lumens. A typical maglite, good product, throws about 50 lumens of light. The world's most powerfull throws about 5000 lumens. A car's headlight thows about 630 lumens.
The most powerful in the world used to be 2000 lumens, the Beast. Then came a 4100 one, The Torch, now the Polarion, at 5000. Both the latter two will start paper on fire within seconds. Watch this video, fire starting starts at about 1:29.
A bit pricey at $300.
I sent off for this one yesterday. 900 lumens for $44.
Five different modes, low, medium, high, strobe, etc. Can charge it at home or in your car. Comes with chargers. http://www.dinodirect.com/mte-led-f...otected-battery-5mode-900lumens/AFFID-19.html Supposed to spot out to 300 meters. Those beasts above will go out to almost a mile. These are small handheld flashlights. Anywhere from 6" to 11" long.
Anyone have the one I bought already?
Great survival item. If you don't want to shoot'em, blind'em. Great for walking at night, better than pepper spray I'd say.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
Too bright for my tastes. I don't care for anything over about 100 lumens, myself. That's plenty for anything I'd use a flashlight for and it doesn't blind me so bad up close where I use it the most. If I need a spotlight, I'll grab a spotlight. Besides, there's battery life to consider.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
High Tech [email protected]#$%

My Mag-Lite has served me well for many years. I have recently upgraded the bulb to LED. The court is still out on whether I keep it LED.

I have two Mini-Mag-Lites and one has the LED upgrade w/o the junk switch. The LED one doesn't focus the beam. There's a new Mini-Mag-Lite LED that is longer than the older ones but they did away with the lanyard hole.

I have an old IkeLite diving lite that is about as durable as you can get and it did not cost $300. It goes down 100 ft under water and keeps going. I'm trying an LED bulb in it as well.

Then there's two junk work lites one with Halogen and one with LED. Both are the common yellow & black throw in the toolbox variety.

I'm in transistion with LED lites. I am not going out and dumping over $100 on a new High Tech Lite. I'm trying the replacement bulbs for now.

There are some things I like & don't like about LED's:
  • LED's don't focus as well as good old Halogen.
  • I HATE the blue tint to LED's.
  • LED's also suck less current as least for now they do but I'm sure with the brightness levels increasing they'll start sucking more.
  • LED's do last longer at least so far... I hope it's not the same a flouresent bulbs that were supposed to last over 5 years and quit after 1 year.
:upsidedown:

·
Here's a man who stood up
639 Posts
Heaven help you if that shines in your eyes.

That'd would be like scratching your eye with a light sabre.

You'd be seeing blue dots in your vision for a month, or forever.

I'll pass.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I like defensive lights. Especially ones made to go on fire arms.

I know they are meant to "blind" the bad guys so you can get away, but why not use them for their full potential?

300 bucks though? We have to be able to do better.

·
I'm on earth! where r u?
80 Posts
Yeah its called www.dealextreme.com I dont work for them or anything. In fact I just spend a small portion of my check there. Instead of my whole check on a not too bright "tactical" light. I have a ultrafire 504B with the Luminus sst-50 dropin. Its probably about 400 lumens. I spent roughly 50 bucks and free shipping. We have done better. I am posting this because I want my fellow survivalists to be well equipped. I can make quite an impression with my new little flashlight. Its brighter, cheaper, and about the same size as a shurfire 6p.

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
Wasn't one of the main reasons to buy a led flashlight so you could go weeks without needing new batteries? Seams like we're back to the old days of few hours of runtime.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally bought two. A 900 lumens one for $44 shipped. This will be my power light. Here it is...
http://www.dinodirect.com/mte-led-f...otected-battery-5mode-900lumens/AFFID-19.html
Then I bought a 189 lumen EDC (every day carry) one for $39 shipped. It's the size of a 12 ga. shotgun shell. Called the mini Quark. Great power in a little package, easy to carry. Maybe similar to TuckerDog's. Here it is...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Quark-Mini-123-...iewItem&pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item483afa49d5
Be prepared. Good hunting. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
There is always a trade off between light output and battery life. I personally opt for battery longer battery life in an emergency verses brighter light.
Me too. Even the 100 lumen range is enough to blind someone when their eyes are used to the dark. And even though that's considered "low power" by today's standards, it still eats batteries way too fast for my tastes. I think most of it is just driven by "bigger is better" which in many cases, isn't.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
There are some things I like & don't like about LED's:
  • LED's don't focus as well as good old Halogen.
That depends on the reflector and lens. I have some very good lenses from very cheap LED lights.
  • I HATE the blue tint to LED's.
That depends on the LED bulb. Mine are pure white.
  • LED's also suck less current as least for now they do but I'm sure with the brightness levels increasing they'll start sucking more.
Yes the Luxeon bulbs use more power than a regular .020 amp LED, but they still use less than an incandescent bulb.
[/list]
[*]LED's do last longer at least so far... I hope it's not the same a flouresent bulbs that were supposed to last over 5 years and quit after 1 year.
[/LIST]
LED bulbs are solid state. The bulb only can get run over by a car and it will still work, it's solid plastic, not hollow. I got my first LED light about 2001 and it still works fine.

·
SURVIVALISM IS A IFESTYLE
253 Posts
I like the idea of a 5000 lumen light personally. $300 is a lot for a flashlight but its a great alternative weapon in places where you cannot carry a gun. Imagine burning your attackers retinas out. Less lethal than a gun but very effective. Plus you could use it as a firestarter. I don't like the price. Hopefully it will come down in price but I want one really bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts