Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To take care of the coyote problem I got an Extreme Dimension EDMR302 remote control call and a Mojo Outdoors Critter Decoy.

In the past year I have easily lost close to a dozen and a half chickens to a coyote. It would be easy to put out some foothold traps, but what about my dogs getting into them? I could not forgive myself if someones pet got into a foothold trap.

To prevent accidentally trapping of pets I decided to order a call and decoy.

Extreme Dimension EDMR302

The Extreme Dimension EDMR302 did not come with any instructions, but as it turned out they were not really needed. Put the batteries in the unit, which requires a philips head screw driver, turn it on, then start playing with the remote.

Speaker - Turning the EDMR302 on was easy enough, there is a sliding on/off button on the back. When the unit is on there is a visible green flashing light.

The speaker has a stand that rotates to point the speaker from the horizontal to the vertical position.

The antenna rotates to go from horizontal to vertical.

Four AA batteries are used to power the speaker.

On the back of the speaker there is a 1-2-3 selector. I am going to guess this matches the channel 1-2-3 selector on the remote. If this is true then one remote could operate up to three calls? I am not 100% sure on that as instructions were not included in the package.

The speaker takes two sound sticks with 5 calls each. To change between the two sticks press the set/select button on the bottom right hand corner of the remote. Pressing the button set/select button will cycle through the sound stick number on the bottom of the display on the remote.

With the stand in the down position so the speaker rest horizontal to the ground, the speaker measures around 5 3/4 inches long, 5 inches wide, and 4 1/4 inches tall with the antenna horizontal with the speaker. With the antenna in the vertical position this brings the height to 7 1/2 inches tell.

Remote - On the remote there is no pause or stop button. There is how ever a mute button which stops the call. There is power no or power off button, but there seems to be an auto-power off when not used. To start the remote just push a call button.

The remote has a decoy button for when you have a decoy plugged into the speaker. I did not buy a decoy that plugs into the speaker. Instead I bought a stand alone decoy.

AAA batteries are used to power the remote.

On the top left hand corner of the remote are the volume buttons. I tested the volume control at a range of around 75 yards and they worked well. The remote is supposed to work up to 150 yards. Here in southeast Texas the usual shot is going to be around 100 yards.

The remote has an antenna that can extend from the body.

The remote measures 4 3/4 inches long including lanyard attachment, 2 3/8 inches wide and 1 1/8 inches thick.

Mojo Outdoors Critter Decoy

Very easy to assemble and get started.

The antenna slips on and has what appears to have a set screw.

A steel spikes threads onto the bottom of the decoy.

Decoy measurements:

Housing - 9 1/4 inches long.
Spike, threaded into housing - 4 1/2 inches long
Decoy top - about 9 1/2 inches

Once assembled the whole unit is around 22 inches long.

Disclosure

I bought both the Extreme Dimension EDMR302 and Mojo Outdoors Critter Decoy with my own money. This review, video and images are not paid placements. Any opinions expressed are my own.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I won't touch Foxpro even for free. The sounds are man made and pretty horrible IMHO.
The many that I hunted with were non effective if they even worked as advertised. The Coyotes here are a different type of Coyote, mixed with the Canadian Gray wolf so,they act different and require a different approach. Distress sounds only work after the coyote is committed. Around here we need to create a territorial response to get our coyotes to even move. To do,that Real coyote vocalizations need to be used and at a pretty loud volume to give the sense of "I am in your core area and will eat your food and steal your bitches"

You also have to know what vocalizations to use and when to use them.
Coyotes charge in very hard when they think there is another coyote that is not from the family group in their territory. Vocalizations also tend to call in the Alphas in the family as the young ones are not looking to fight so much. I understand that in the southwest the coyotes are much easier to fool and there are a lot more of them, in the North East it is a whole different game. Shooting coyotes is a boat load of fun!! If anyone is serious about calling coyote (or any game) and have money to spend then check out Wildlife Technologies E-callers. Don't let the $ scare you, you will get what you pay for. They have a database of real animal vocalizations from 1000's of animals from all around the world. A lot of the animal sound that are in movies have been purchased by production companies from WT.
Once you hear the sounds and the extreme volume from a WT everything else sounds like junk.. I am in NO way bashing anyone's choice in equipment or how they spend their $. But if you like predator calling and want to put more fur in your truck then check out Wildlife technologies.

Also here is a quick tip for North Eastern hunters.......do your leg work. Eastern coyotes howl WAY less than their little western cousins. So go out at night and do some (not a lot) howling. If you get a vocal response remember where the howls come from then in a couple of days go hunt where u heard the howls. Be real sneaky and get to where u think the howls came from. That is the Coyotes CORE area. Not their territory, their core area. Easterns don't like to reveal their location so the generally won't howl back unless you are in their core area. (Where they den up) their territory is usually about 5 miles in area so you will have to hit it just right to be in the same area. But finding the core area will yield you better results.

It drives me crazy when I hear people around here say
"Dude, you should have heard the pack of coyotes the other night, there must have been like ten of them"

First of all coyotes don't have packs. Wolves have packs. Coyotes have family groups, WAY different. Second, coyotes can vocalize around five sounds at the same time, so that pack of ten that someone heard was actually two or three. Best of luck with the coyotes!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Kev, do you know for a fact it is coyote stealing your chickens? Not saying it is not but coyotes do get blamed for actions of Fox a lot of the time. I ask because Grey Fox is the most aggressive canine in the U.S. Meaning that they don't give a crap, and will go to great lengths to do or get whatever they are after. Way faster than most coyotes ever will.
I have pics of my kids playing in my front yard with 4 Fox literally a couple feet from them and their toys and of course me. When they wanted to mouse around in my front field they did, they didn't care who or what was there. It happened a couple times a week during the summer.

I shot one while hunting, I was playing fox distress on my WT and the fox stuck its nose in the speaker, looked at me and circled and barked for 10 minutes all while staring at me. Ended up shooting her at about 7 feet with the 17 HMR. I finally shot her because I was worried she would be in my lap soon. She is now the guardian of my gun safe!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts