Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last preps that I sealed up had about 6-8 inches or so of extra mylar at the top. I put in the O2 absorber, pushed out the air and then sealed. Am I compromising my preps by allowing the extra mylar? Should I have cut the bags so that there was less extra space.

Thanks

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
The last preps that I sealed up had about 6-8 inches or so of extra mylar at the top. I put in the O2 absorber, pushed out the air and then sealed. Am I compromising my preps by allowing the extra mylar? Should I have cut the bags so that there was less extra space.

Thanks
You're not compromising anything. As long as your O2 absorber is sufficient to remove all the oxygen from whatever air remains and the seal is good, you're fine.

I like it when the bag draws tight against what I'm storing in mylar because it indicates that A) the bag is truly sealed, and B) the O2 absorber is doing its thing.

But as long as the O2 absorber works, and the bag is truly sealed, you're still only packing the item in what is almost pure nitrogen, whether you have extra mylar or not.

When I pack 1-gallon bags I like having the extra space in the bag, because I can then flatten the bag to conform to whatever I'm storing it in.

BTW, if you're talking about having a lot of extra mylar--like would be the case if you were using a 6-gallon bag in a 3-gallon bucket--you might consider cutting off the excess and using it to make smaller mylar bags in which you might store spices, buillion cubes, smaller portions of whatever. I store in some 4.25 gallon square buckets I lucked into at a bakery, but the big bags are REALLY big for them, so I cut off the excess and made small bags from it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
^^ He pretty much covered it, but I will chime in anyway.

You are fine. Leftover bag space is not a problem at all, and in fact can be useful if you want to reseal the bag later after opening it.

The only thing that can mess up your food is if it isn't sealed properly. How much empty bag is left is really irrelevant, as long as its sealed and the bucket closes properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts