Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have switched over to a large molle II pack as my main camping pack - except when I'am going lightweight. The problem is, the large molle II lacks external pouches. I added a small maxpedition clam pouch, which is about 6 X 4 - its great for small items like my wallet and keys.

What I need is 2 - 3 large pouches that will hold rain gear, or a 1 pound bottle of propane. A buddy of mine said to get the sustainable pouches that go on the side. I might go that route, but I would like some smaller pouches strapped to the backside.

Take a look at the medium alice pack or the large alice pack - that pouch system is something like what I want to add to my large molle.

Here is a video comparing the molle pack and the medium alice pack.

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
The biggest molle pouches I'm familiar with are the sustainment pouches that have already been mentioned. They are pretty cheap if you can find them surplus. 200rd saw pouches or dump pouches might be another option even if they are smaller.

Personally I'd use another external bag to hold your rain gear separate. Maybe the sleep system carrier or a stuff sack strapped to the outside top or bottom.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have decided to go with the sustainment pouches. There are some people on ebay that have 6 of them for less then $30 - 2 for me, 2 for my sons pack and 2 for spares.

One question I have though - how well does a 32 ounce water bottle fit into the pouch?

My son has one of those molle packs with the external sleep system. The problem with the pack (watch the above video), there is no way to attach a canteen or water bottle to the pack. So will the sustainment pouches work as a water bottle holder?

As for my large molle pack - will those pouches fit on the back of the pack - like a medium alice - or do they "have" to go on the side?

·
great survivalist *****
1,258 Posts
I have decided to go with the sustainment pouches. There are some people on ebay that have 6 of them for less then $30 - 2 for me, 2 for my sons pack and 2 for spares.

One question I have though - how well does a 32 ounce water bottle fit into the pouch?

My son has one of those molle packs with the external sleep system. The problem with the pack (watch the above video), there is no way to attach a canteen or water bottle to the pack. So will the sustainment pouches work as a water bottle holder?

As for my large molle pack - will those pouches fit on the back of the pack - like a medium alice - or do they "have" to go on the side?
if you are going to put anything heavy in a molle pouch, that cost less than $6, i would recomend renforcing the seams. i bough a couple molle pouches off ebay, put them on a pack, went to the woods for a hike, hiked for a couple miles, set up camp and then realise one of my molle pouches was missing and the other was literally hanging by a thread. i learned my lesson and i don't cheap out on my pouches anymore.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sustainment pouches

if you are going to put anything heavy in a molle pouch, that cost less than $6,
Thank you for the warning.

The ones I'am looking at on ebay are supposed to be GI issue / military surplus..

·
Historian & Archaeologist
1,535 Posts

i use 2 sustainment pouches on my large alice. 1 for my random tools and such and the other for my food. i took camping the other day in my food pouch: 3 cans of chili, 3 cans chicken noodle, 1 32 oz powerade, beef jerky, 4 boxes worth of macaroni (i condense them with ziplock bags) and 2 instant breakfast packages.

they can hold quite a bit if you need them to. and mine are surplus so they are quite strong in the seams.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Kev,

If you PM me, i got a 40-lot of radio pouches from E-Bay, and had velcro sewn on the top for closure, and they work GREAT!. I am keeping about 15 of them but sure don't need the others. If you want to pay for shipping and a small amount, I would be glad to sell them to you real cheap. They are desert camo.

Or if Kev only needs a couple, I can sell them to anyone else who might be interested. I got them cheap. Just a quirky one-of-a-kind deal on E-Bay a while back.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kev,

If you PM me, i got a 40-lot of radio pouches from E-Bay, and had velcro sewn on the top for closure, and they work GREAT!.
Thank you - I posted a comment on your profile.

6 sustainment pouches were ordered from ebay lat night. Their woodland camo, and are supposed to be army surplus.

This will give me 3 external pouches - 2 sustainment pouches and 1 maxpedition clam pouch. I want the clam pouch for small items - like a multi-tool, place to put my wallet, truck keys, maybe a mag-light,,,,,, stuff like that.

·
2B1ASK1
857 Posts
you could put your rain gear in the MSS system if you have one. I did that with my Gortex when I was in the military, easy access and I was able to hold more then just the sleeping bag in the MSS. or you could go for a butt pack under the MSS too.DOC

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Molle II Waist/Fanny pack goes for about $10 and I have added fastex buckles to around the pack frame and through the medium Alice D rings so it sits on the top of my Hellcat under the main strapes so it won't flop around. Holds two contractor bags, two desert pattern ponchos at about $8 each and thinking about adding a poncho liner and a compression bag since I don't normally carry the sleep system bag when just day hiking.

Cheap and effective.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts