Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plain and simple; I'm wondering if the solar output is rising and they just aren't telling us. Have you seen how much we're spending on solar measurement equiptment in the last decade? I've never seen my garden act the way it is this summer. I have mid day wilt due to unfettered heat and sunshine. I've had a garden for over 40 yrs. I've never seen this much stress.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have multiple ways of measuring solar output. Our most direct measurements come from satellites that measure total solar irradiance. Indirect measurements include sun spots and cosmic rays. None of these data indicate increasing solar activity over the past ~ 50 years, and none of these data correlate well with average temperature over the past ~ 50 years.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,386 Posts
We have multiple ways of measuring solar output. Our most direct measurements come from satellites that measure total solar irradiance. Indirect measurements include sun spots and cosmic rays. None of these data indicate increasing solar activity over the past ~ 50 years, and none of these data correlate well with average temperature over the past ~ 50 years.
Actually the direct measurements show a long term cycle of 1500 yrs, over laid with shorter term cycles including the 22 yr sun spot cycle. There is a lot of natural noise in the signal.

They had better correlate with ground based measurements or your thermometers are broken.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I don't think they have a clue as to what causes weather anomalies. I think they are trying to figure it out, and discovering that it not all that easy. Could the suns out put have something to do with it. Sure it's possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually the direct measurements show a long term cycle of 1500 yrs, over laid with shorter term cycles including the 22 yr sun spot cycle. There is a lot of natural noise in the signal.

They had better correlate with ground based measurements or your thermometers are broken.
Here's a plot of TSI vs temperature:

TSI and temperature do not correlate well over the past ~ 50 years. Prior to this time, they did.

Why do you think they should continue to correlate when greenhouse gas composition has changed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think they have a clue as to what causes weather anomalies. I think they are trying to figure it out, and discovering that it not all that easy. Could the suns out put have something to do with it. Sure it's possible.
Except we've been watching the sun for some time. It's fluxes are not sufficient to explain recent warming.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I said it was possible...not that it was, I don't think they have a clue. I really don't. If they do know whats going on ewith the weather and it happens to be something very bad, then it's likely they wouldn't let on lest they create panic.

Reactions: WSierra

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,386 Posts
Here's a plot of TSI vs temperature:

TSI and temperature do not correlate well over the past ~ 50 years. Prior to this time, they did.

Why do you think they should continue to correlate when greenhouse gas composition has changed?
Once NASA Goddard was forced to correct their flawed temp charts they still correlate with solar incidence.

You might also look back at the context of the climate gate emails and ask why the official temp charts no longer match.

One on one sampling from ice cores and using satellites still match, the only folks who do not are the IPCC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Once NASA Goddard was forced to correct their flawed temp charts they still correlate with solar incidence.
That's very different from my understanding. I haven't seen any solar activity and temperature graphs that correlate well over the past 50 years or so (other than earlier solar cycle length graphs from Svensmark that were shown to be erroneous, e.g., http://www.realclimate.org/damon&laut_2004.pdf). Where did you get this understanding? Where are the data published?

NASA, NOAA, and CRU station-based global estimates are all very consistent with one another and with satellite based temperature data. Even when the BEST team estimated temperatures based on Watts' station rankings, global temperature estimates were consistent with NASA, NOAA, and CRU (http://berkeleyearth.org/Resources/Muller_Testimony_31_March_2011). Muller even testified to congress that NASA, NOAA, and CRU's work was "excellent."

Moreover ice sheets are melting, Arctic sea ice is declining, and glaciers are retreating. Record highs are dominating record lows. The biosphere is migrating poleward or upslope toward cooler temperatures. Permafrost is thawing. All data indicate continued warming. No data indicate cooling. Solar activity has not correlated over this time period.

You might also look back at the context of the climate gate emails and ask why the official temp charts no longer match.
What did "climate gate" really indicate?

Wikipedia actually has a nice article about it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_gate). Note that four separate panels have searched for scientific misconduct. None have found it.

Moreover, the National Academy of Science had already assessed the so-called "hockey stick," and generally agreed with its conclusions.

One on one sampling from ice cores and using satellites still match, the only folks who do not are the IPCC.
I'm curious, where did you get this understanding?

My understanding is that modern ice core data match the instrumental temperature record very well. Furthermore, IPCC draws from the scientific literature, and certainly used ice core data (e.g., http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg1/072.htm).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I said it was possible...not that it was, I don't think they have a clue. I really don't. If they do know whats going on ewith the weather and it happens to be something very bad, then it's likely they wouldn't let on lest they create panic.
We can't attribute single weather events to climate change. Not yet.

But we have very high confidence that increased greenhouse gas concentration should cause and is causing warming. We have reasonably high confidence that increased temperatures should increase and are increasing evaporation and latent heat, which should power more frequent and energetic storms. We are also fairly sure that increased warming should cause and is causing the Hadley cell to expand, which is expected to increase the severity and drought over the south west.

I don't think this qualifies as "not having a clue." I think we have a pretty good idea about systematic change. I think we have a pretty good idea about large scale changes that will occur over the next 50 years or so. We can't fill in all the details, but we generally know where we're going.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
I agree with the above poster who said "It's a hot summer". That's about it. This summer is a hot one. 2 summers ago it was so cool that my plants had trouble growing. That's why we have things called averages. To average warm summers with cool summers and come up with a "typical" year. It's not really a big deal.

·
Time to reap has come
3,885 Posts
Plain and simple; I'm wondering if the solar output is rising and they just aren't telling us. Have you seen how much we're spending on solar measurement equiptment in the last decade? I've never seen my garden act the way it is this summer. I have mid day wilt due to unfettered heat and sunshine. I've had a garden for over 40 yrs. I've never seen this much stress.
Earths magnetic field is in weakening state and so more radiation from sun. Radiation can cause quicker death of plants etc. Also, the axis is off some and this could also possibly be an affect. So many possible reasons. But can say without a doubt, earth is experiencing odd weather, whether it is a natural cycle or something from space affecting earth. But some crazy record breaking these last couple of years both hot/cold, tornado's, flooding, etc etc.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm so sick of hearing about global warming. The climate changes as time goes by, pure and simple. It's not my fault and it's not your fault. It just is what it is. One good belch from an active volcano wipes out any 'prevention' that 'reduced car emissions' generate.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's a money machine..Ppl are right who posted above that state there are hot summers and cool ones. This go green crap is so funny, why are all the re-used materials more expensive than the NEW materials..and if they really wanted ppl to use recycled products, and buy organic materials because it's safer and cleaner, then they would make the prices lower, and up the prices of the "bad" products..duh..don't be naive..it's all for money.

·
Vampire Slayer
6,943 Posts
Its a way to tax us for the weather. Cool or hot, now that its "climate change".
Expect to pay more for power, and for any products that require power for production.
Expect to spend a great deal of money to bring your house up to new standards before you can sell it.
Welcome to the biggest scam in the history of the world. You get to buy into it whether you like it or not.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts