Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a case for awhile that a friend in the ARMY got me. I always keep 1 or 2 in my hunting pack/camp just in case. I entered the code on one of the sights and they have expired. What does one do now with expired MRE's..seems like a waste just to chuck them.

Thanks

·
Customized Member
529 Posts
How expired are they? And what conditions have they been kept in for the most part (like temp. wise/humidity level, etc.)?

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I'd eat 'em.

Reactions: Jungleboy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Expired about a year ago. Kept mostly in a closet, maybe low 70's as a year round avg. Humidity, I have no idea

·
Y2K Veteran
274 Posts
Got some from 1998, still taste OK. Maybe a LITTLE stale, but not spoiled by any means. Last time I tried one was last year, chicken and noodles.

·
Mentally lost....
809 Posts
For anything that was originally intended as food will usually offend you're senses if inedible. Visual, Smell, Taste... You'll know if somethings spoiled.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
Make sure you kneed the spreadable cheese before you open it, the oil separates.

Also, if the heaters are week, add a bit of the salt pack with the water. Gatoraid also seems to supper charge the MRE heater.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,286 Posts
If they taste ok, then they're safe to eat. Heat really messes them up, to the point of having to choke them down while gagging. But they're still safe. Even if some components are nasty tasting, others tend to last really well. The crackers, peanut butter, and some of the deserts and sides last really well, while some of the entrees turn bitter and rancid. But again, that's mostly from combined age and heat. Stored in a cool climate, yours may be fine.

The one thing to remember about MREs is that they're not actually made for long term storage. They don't have a whole lot of life past their expiration date.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
If their too expired, they will get a funny taste to them.

Usually, if their WAY out of date, I will pull the main entree, and anything with animal products out and discard it - except for cheese.

There are lots of things that you can get out of the expired meals - especially the accessory packet.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Well, if you ever needed a decoy box or something to donate to leeches, you have it now.

Gosh, Mr. Mayor...all I've got left to share is this old stale box of MREs my buddy sent me. Do you really think they're valuable?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just made the chili and mac....it might be expired but it still tastes like an MRE. Guess I'll hold on to them for awhile. Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've eaten some MRE entrees from the early 1990s in the past couple of years after carefully inspecting the exterior for swelling or other issues. (ETA: 1990 or 91 manufacture, IIRC)

They were fine and caused me no problems.

I didn't trust them though, so I pitched them out last year.

It was kind of a sinking feeling throwing out nearly three cases (72x3) of entrees. They went "clunk!" in the dumpster.

John

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
I have eaten 20 yr old MRE's and they were fine but they were stored at less than 60 degree average! I have also had canned goods go bad in less than a year stored in open sunlight! Storage is everything!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts