Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been pretty militant about disinfecting due to the Coronavirus, and always wash my hands with soap before eating, and after coming from outside. I'm pretty much self quarantined now. However, if I suspect that something I've touched in my home is dirty, I have been using hand sanitizer to quickly get rid of germs because I tend to itch my eyes/nose fairly frequently.

Problem is, I just realized that the huge bottle of Germ-x I have, expired in December 2016. That's over 3 years ago. It was always kept on the kitchen counter away from light; I noticed that it doesn't have any "bubbles" compared to the new non expired bottle that I'm now using.

My question is, does the expiration date mean the sanitizer is useless? I'm thinking I may have unknowingly spread germs to myself because of this.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,593 Posts
It's the alcohol in it that does the majority of disinfecting

If it has evaporated out, it won't be as good.

It's your call

Reactions: Sharkbait

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Try lighting a dab of it in a darkened room (you can barely see the blue flame in full light so dark is easier).
If it burns, it's good. If it doesn't than all or most of the alcohol (the sanitizing agent) has evaporated.
If that's the case, no problem. Just mix some fresh 70% alcohol back in. It'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
put a little in a ashtray and try to light it on fire.

if it burns with a small blue flame its still got alcohol in it.

All drugs regulated by the FDA require expiration dates.
that does not mean the drug will not work after that date depending on how it was stored.

·
Proud to be Welsh.
850 Posts
Germ-X is ethanol based so will last a decade or two.

Any alcohol at 60% or more will sterilize your hands. Don't rely on hand sanatisers as they don't always shift dirt/grime/grease (which can 'hide' bugs), soap and water is a better option when available.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you have some doubts about the germ/virus killing abilities of your hand sanitizer. Add in some 90% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) and give a good shake. I recently heard that a good homemade hand sanitizer is to mix aloe gel with alcohol 50/50 and mix it well. The aloe will help to keep your skin from becoming too dry.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Dominion power in VA is ordering purel sanitizer like it's bottled water. Sent out a memo saying any delivery driver who is sick is not allowed, a temp driver must be used. Major freak out.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
put a little in a ashtray and try to light it on fire.

if it burns with a small blue flame its still got alcohol in it.

All drugs regulated by the FDA require expiration dates.
that does not mean the drug will not work after that date depending on how it was stored.
Hand sanitizer isn't a "drug".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sanitizer for hands is all good, but who regularly sanitises their mobile phone? We are sticklers for washing hands, but phones are crawling with bugs which re-contaminate hands in an instant. If you do, what is the best way to do it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
A quick way to sanitize objects is with an alcohol prep pad. If you don't have those use Clorox wipes or similar, anything alcohol or bleach based will work good. Even baby wipes do a good job as they are just soap and water. It's not complicated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would recommend testing the expired supply on a desk or surface that makes it easy for you to inspect the elements. Compare it with other alcohol products that aren't expired to see if there is a difference after it sits on the surface for 30 to 90 mins without touching it

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
If you have some doubts about the germ/virus killing abilities of your hand sanitizer. Add in some 90% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) and give a good shake. I recently heard that a good homemade hand sanitizer is to mix aloe gel with alcohol 50/50 and mix it well. The aloe will help to keep your skin becoming too dry.
This is pretty important as I've read the natural oils or added moisture of hand location help fight bacteria, but when your hands get dried out, they can crack and expose more surface area and turn into a more dangerous vector for viral attacks.

I've read of some pretty good homemade hand-sanitizers I want to experiment with later this year.

ROCK6

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Is it an expiration date, or best use by date. I can't see alcohol based products expiring. I mean I have 30 year old scotch and its pretty good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts