Survivalist Forum banner

What is ideal in my situation?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Cocked, locked, ready to rock.
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few years ago I invested in a couple of AR pistols and an AK pistols and figured I was good to go being I live just inside the rural zone in the "rich neighborhoods" with all the GAYted communities an Mac-mansions. but as years have passed, the neighbors have gotten closer and denser and I'm thinking my choice of calibers might be a threat, that and we all know ammo will never come back down again, so what should I do? upgrade to an SBR, get a PCR or just use a shotgun until all hell has broken loose? I have a couple of "assault pistols" but their accuracy is pretty much rubbish. pretty good inside 30 feet, but a joke after that. Time has made what little tactical training I had pretty much moot.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I prefer the 14.5" AR-15 with a pinned and welded flash hider to the SBR. Saves a little length making it handier, still gives you good ammo performance, and you don't need to get the crown's permission.

That being said, I currently have a Stribog SP9A3 with 7 mags of +P JHP's under the seat of my truck. Damn thing just folds up so small and has been 100% reliable. Still, I only consider it my 'fight my way back home' gun.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
If you're in a densely packed neighborhood, you would want something that you could be extremely deliberate with. You don't want stray rounds penetrating the neighbors homes. The bad guy couldn't care less but you're not the bad guy. This is the burden that law abiding citizens must bear. Whatever you choose, be extremely proficient with it. One shot, one kill and no spray and pray. That being said, an M4 pattern would be more versatile than a PCC or SBR. Soldiers don't go into battle with either of those.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
11,695 Posts
IMO, AR and AK pistols are a waste. They remind me of the Chevy El Camino. It wasn’t a car, it wasn’t a truck…WTF is it?

I wouldn’t dream of bastardizing a perfectly good rifle just to make a make-believe pistol. I just buy a pistol.

If I lived in a subdivision or high-density area, I would prefer a 12ga pump 18” barrel, 9mm or 30 cal SA carbine and 9mm hi-cap hand gun.

·
Registered
226 Posts
ak for obvious reasons - short, maneuverable, nasty, lethal, reliable, and versatile. Back in the day all the cool guys ran with pcc type weapons, couple good urban fights, and they quickly learned you need a full size cartridge, because stuff never works out the way you thought it was going to.

·
Space Force Recruit
3 sticks of butter and a can of Cheez-Whiz
2,041 Posts
PCCs are only useful in automatic/burst fire. A side folding AK or a 12.5" AR pistol/sbr gets my vote. My side folding 16" barreled AK is as long as my buddies 10.5" AR pistol when the stock is folded, and since it's got a folding trunnion it folds on the left side and is still easily firable/operable with the stock folded.

·
Space Force Recruit
3 sticks of butter and a can of Cheez-Whiz
2,041 Posts
If you're in a densely packed neighborhood, you would want something that you could be extremely deliberate with. You don't want stray rounds penetrating the neighbors homes. The bad guy couldn't care less but you're not the bad guy. This is the burden that law abiding citizens must bear. Whatever you choose, be extremely proficient with it. One shot, one kill and no spray and pray. That being said, an M4 pattern would be more versatile than a PCC or SBR. Soldiers don't go into battle with either of those.
An actual M4 Carbine would be classified as an SBR for civilians if it didn't have a pinned and welded muzzle brake/attachment on it. One shot no matter the cartridge isn't always enough to stop the bad guy and in the civilian world the goal is to shoot them until they cease being a threat, not to kill them.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Pistol caliber carbine and cowboy rifles don't cut it, nor do semi-auto poodle shooters in woodchuck calibers. For compact walking carry which can reach out to 200 yards and defeat automobiles I like a lever-action .30-30 carbine with peep sights. If in a fixed position or in a vehicle the M1 Garand reaches out and pokes holes farther and deeper. A 6-inch .38 revolver suitable for heavy +P+ loads in the GHB and a snubby as EDC fill the PDW niches. These have worked well for me for 50 years, no reason to change.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For more populated areas my preference is a Ruger PCC takedown in 9mm (suppressed) with my Glock 19. My PCC has Glock mag well installed. I’ve got a computer backpack that’s had the zipper removed from the main compartment and Velcro installed for quick access to the carbine. The Glock is concealed as well. Stealth is king.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If you have AR and AK pistols, that should probably suffice provided they have a brace. If you want more power then go with a good semi .308 like the PTR-91 or maybe that new SFAR from Ruger or something. A PCC isn't going to give you more power obviously but they could provide something more concealable. Personally I like the Extar EP-9 and Kel-Tec S2k as they use Glock mags and both are very compact. The EP-9 is pretty awesome though, no recoil and awesome ergonomics plus its super light weight. As for a shotgun, that never hurts to have one in the tool box. Any good defensive pump would do but I like the semi-auto bullpup 12g's as they are basically as compact as a shockwave but you can shoulder it. Plus they are lighter on recoil and can have more firepower. Otherwise a 590s shockwave that can shoot the mini-shells wouldn't be horrible, you could even SBS it and make it awesome.

·
Registered
Cocked, locked, ready to rock.
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IMO, AR and AK pistols are a waste. They remind me of the Chevy El Camino. It wasn’t a car, it wasn’t a truck…WTF is it?

I wouldn’t dream of bastardizing a perfectly good rifle just to make a make-believe pistol. I just buy a pistol.

If I lived in a subdivision or high-density area, I would prefer a 12ga pump 18” barrel, 9mm or 30 cal SA carbine and 9mm hi-cap hand gun.
Not entirely useless. it takes all of 5 minutes to SBR either in a post SHTF situation, add a can and they're actually pretty handy, albeit overpowered. Remember the XM-177 and the AK-74 ASU are pretty much pistols with stocks. they're like the new Shockwave and other short shottys, lots of power in a little package for tight spaces like vehicles or in your house. But all guns are tools, and most tools are for specific jobs right? This job is close range defense without OPing and hurting neighbors. Might just trade a closet queen in on a Sagia. an M1 carbine sounds good too but the one I have is pretty much in need of a total overhaul.

I totally see your point about the El Camino though. what the hell were they smoking that day?!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ammo prices have come down some, but will never go back to the prices we had in 2019 and early 2020.
I voted SBR out of your choices. An AR in 5.56 with a barrel at least 10.3" using quality ammo (heavier ammo, such as 69grn and up) will do a fine job out to 300 yards. I would suggest that going at least 12" is even better.
Going with an AR pistol with a brace route is a dead end at this point, as the new rules regarding them is to go into effect in December. Pretty much all braces will be considered non-compliant and illegal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So a few years ago I invested in a couple of AR pistols and an AK pistols and figured I was good to go being I live just inside the rural zone in the "rich neighborhoods" with all the GAYted communities an Mac-mansions. but as years have passed, the neighbors have gotten closer and denser and I'm thinking my choice of calibers might be a threat, that and we all know ammo will never come back down again, so what should I do? upgrade to an SBR, get a PCR or just use a shotgun until all hell has broken loose? I have a couple of "assault pistols" but their accuracy is pretty much rubbish. pretty good inside 30 feet, but a joke after that. Time has made what little tactical training I had pretty much moot.
I don’t run any 5.56/.223 SBR without a can. If you don’t have/can’t get a can, stick with a 16” tube.

UNsuppressed SBRs are concussive, auditory-damaging liabilities. Bad enough when shooting outside, but if fired inside a structure they’ll inflict permanent hearing-loss on the shooter (and anyone else there too).

1 - 20 of 71 Posts