Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE most important book you will ever read, even if you aren't expecting a baby, is:

Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (Revised Edition) by Susan McCutcheon (copyright 1996, published by Plume, an imprint of Dutton Signet, a division of Penguin Books USA Inc.)

and the book by Doctor Bradley himself (which is just as important to read, but not written in a so simple-to-follow way as McCutcheon's book, who was actually somone that worked with Dr. Bradley).

Husband-Coached Childbirth (Fifth Edition) by Robert A. Bradley. M.D. (copyright 2008, published by Bantam Books).

What the Bradley Method is: just the way that women and other perspiring mammals have been giving birth since the dawn of our existence, before the hospital birth became the "in" thing, which has only been since the 1940s and all the military wives were doing it - and it's never gone back out of style since.
Even if you plan on a hospital birth, this information is important for you to be able to make informed decisions and approach the whole thing with confidence you simply would not have otherwise.
Also, it's crucial for you to know how to proceed if you go into labor and are unable to get any help, should you desire it - like if your baby is due in midwinter and you live way out in the boonies... you're blizzarded in... now what? With the know-how in these books, you shouldn't have any real problems, but don't forget to prepare - ordering a home-birth kit or emergency birthing kit (or both) online is a great investment for a low vcost (keep one in the closet and one in the car). I'll post a link later with a few sites you can order from.
And no, Bradley didn't get his ideas from Lamaze, it's actually the other way around, Lamaze came a couple decades after Bradley started practicing - it's actually the perverted brain-child of hospital maternity wards who don't want "problem patients". :p

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As promised, I'm posting where to get kits from.

The best site that I've found to order kits from is inhishands.com where they have complete kits for a decently low price, I recommend getting the deluxe kit for $38 AND the emergency kit for $11, they also have an option to get a custom kit based on the kit your midwife has (provided she/he has ordered from them). Another good site to order stuff from is everythingbirth.com and they have stuff for mama and baby, not just birthing kits, including baby clothes, natural toys, herbal products, and breastfeeding accessories.
Sites to check out for yourself are:
homebirthkits.com
mamagoddessbirthshop.com
birthwithlove.com
unassistedhomebirth.com

Plus a heck of a lot more, just go to scroogle.org and type in "home birth kit" for your search. (NOT scroogle.COM, but scroogle.ORG!)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
my youngest girl has a kit for the house when she was pregnant and we knew how to use it just in case labor started and we got snowed in ..

·
Registered
57 Posts
The US has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world. Maybe getting back to the roots is best.
I'm interested to know where that statistic comes from, and whether it is referring to only birthed babies or also including abortions (both accidental and intentional.)

·
Jesus Saves Sinners
742 Posts
My wife and I had our last two children unassisted at home, and are about to have our third unassisted birth here at home, likely today!

My wife is in the first stages of labour right now and says she's had pretty wild contractions all night. I'll be setting up our birth pool momentarily, actually.

We are totally supportive of the growing homebirth movement, as we have done a lot of research on birth in general over the years (this is baby #7 for us), and it's very interesting that what you find is almost all complications in birth are a direct result of the modern medical doctor's intervention (especially regarding the use of risky methods, and even dangerous drugs like oxytocin, and the various induction methods, and the incredibly high rate of elective C-sections, etc.), which in turn require more intervention.

Homebirth is the most stress-free, natural feeling way to go. It reduces the fear of the mother, which is a major contributor to pain and difficulty during labour. Fear causes the "fight or flight" response, which actually causes the body to tighten up and inhibits birth. This is what happens at the hospital, with doctors and nurses poking and prodding, and even the environment itself causes. Home, therefore, is the safest place for mother and baby in a normal birth.

I should also note, modern medicine seems to treat birth like a disease or illness requiring a doctor. But God made women to give birth. Do you rush your dog or cat to the vet when it's having a litter? No, because they do it just fine in their own comfortable spot. Women do too, we know many, many "homebirthers". Doctors are only needed if an emergency happens, which is actually incredibly rare (though the medical community would have you believe otherwise).

Oh, we're going to shock some with this......we are doing this one at home even though the baby is breech.:eek:

No worries, breech is just a variation of normal, but requires more study. We've done lots of that, and actually went last night to a breech homebirth lecture last night, where we got to hear from one of the leading midwifery experts in the field, and got to actually have some hands on coaching. It was really cool.

Well, gotta go set up that birth pool!:D: For any women out there who are expecting, do some research and you'll find you just might want to stay away from doctors during this wonderful experience of bringing a new little soul into the world. It's the most amazing experience I've ever had (well, catching I mean).:)

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I read that book and used the relaxation techniques in it for my first baby. I practiced with a mid wife who helped me thru the labor. My husband was pretty useless and to be honest I have been thru natural childbirth 3 times and it didnt really help with the pain.

The last time I had a broken foot (couldnt move around and was bed bound) and caved after being in hard labor for 10 hours with no sleep and not dilating past a 2. Pure misery, I got the epidural.

I think walking helps the most. You have to be able to get up and move around.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The US has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world. Maybe getting back to the roots is best.
Actually, the US ranks 163 / 195 with a rate of 6.3 deaths per 1000 live births.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate_(2005)

Not sure where you got the idea the US was one of the highest. Maybe one of the highest among first world countries?

Anyhow, we're far behind many countries. As it stands, 15 countries have infant mortality rates of 10% (over 100 deaths per 1000 live) vs. our 0.63%, so I think it's safe to safe we're not toward the top of that list.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think you girls who have home births are awesome! I've not had any children, so I'm speaking from ignorance, but I would definitely do it at home the natural way if the situation arises!

My sister studied all about it and had her second baby at home. She called me when she went into labor and I was going to be there with her. Before I was able to make the 3 hour drive, she called me and told me to stop speading, she's already had the baby, in her hot tub, and before the midwife got there. We ohh and ahhed over the baby, and when he was comfortably sleeping, she was up playing cards with us and feeling great. I know that's not everyone's experience, but I thought it was totally cool.

·
homesteading mama.
109 Posts
Actually, the US ranks 163 / 195 with a rate of 6.3 deaths per 1000 live births.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate_(2005)

Not sure where you got the idea the US was one of the highest. Maybe one of the highest among first world countries?

Anyhow, we're far behind many countries. As it stands, 15 countries have infant mortality rates of 10% (over 100 deaths per 1000 live) vs. our 0.63%, so I think it's safe to safe we're not toward the top of that list.
I was going to step in to confirm that in a lot of midwifery books they bring up that it is significantly higher than most other industrialized nations. (Read: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth -- lots of stats and sources).

She points out that countries with more homebirths (the Netherlands, for example) are much further ahead than we are as far as reducing infant mortality despite the constant push from the medical establishment to outlaw homebirth.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I was going to step in to confirm that in a lot of midwifery books they bring up that it is significantly higher than most other industrialized nations. (Read: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth -- lots of stats and sources).

She points out that countries with more homebirths (the Netherlands, for example) are much further ahead than we are as far as reducing infant mortality despite the constant push from the medical establishment to outlaw homebirth.
The idea that they would even try to outlaw home birth seems insane. Most likely it has to do with them missing out on the costs associated with being in the hospital, but still...

How do you force someone to go to the hospital to have their baby? What if they aren't near one? Just another way to take away individual rights, and force undue medical costs on people I suppose.

Would they then make criminals out of mothers who don't go to a hospital to give birth?

Scary stuff.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
That has to do with the lack of breastfeeding. Formula contains very little nutritional content when compared to breast milk.

The nations that have the highest rates of breastfeeding, also have the lowest infant mortality rates. Funny how that works out.

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
Home birth is great and people should be prepared and know how to do it.

However it does not always work out. I wanted to do a home birth for my first child but my husband was against it. I am glad that he insisted on doing it at the hospital. It would not have worked out good for me.

·
homesteading mama.
109 Posts
The idea that they would even try to outlaw home birth seems insane. Most likely it has to do with them missing out on the costs associated with being in the hospital, but still...

How do you force someone to go to the hospital to have their baby? What if they aren't near one? Just another way to take away individual rights, and force undue medical costs on people I suppose.

Would they then make criminals out of mothers who don't go to a hospital to give birth?

Scary stuff.
I've read that you can be persecuted in some states for planning an "unassisted" birth. NC is one of a few states in which midwives (not CNMs, but CPM/LMs) cannot be licensed and therefor homebirth is illegal. In that case, the midwife is the "criminal." Not sure what charges a mother may face.

Some people get around it by claiming the home birth was an accident (LOL)... of course they can't really persecute a mother for giving birth anywhere she happens to be, but if they can prove that one intended to do it at home without assistance then they may try to bring charges against the mother or family.

That's not the end of it. The baby also has to be brought to a pediatrician within a certain amount of time.

I've read about a mother in Virginia who gave birth at home unassisted (when midwifery was still illegal there) and was told to bring the child to the hospital immediately. She declined, because the baby was fine and it was not really an "emergency," and the child was taken by CPS.

It's scary that women have to fight to give birth to their own children in a setting that still has not been shown to be any more dangerous than a hospital.

They will find a way to profit from everything.

·
Jesus Saves Sinners
742 Posts
ARGGHH. Still no baby here. Labour "petered" out on the weekend, due date was Sunday, still no baby. Oh well, saw this thread was still active, thought I'd share this with you, it's the miracle of birth in the hospital :D: :

1 - 20 of 27 Posts