Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too tech saavy, but I know a good thing when I see it! I've been throwing stuff into this thing for days now...hardly a bump in the 500g, still 408g left on the free space!

Anybody know if there is software available to organize these things a bit better?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
hehe... thats nothing.. Im personal up to... lets see... 4tb 1 computer... 5tb in the other.. and 4tb in a nas storage... and its all full... Backing up is a pain... use a external hardrive would work for you..

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hehe... thats nothing.. Im personal up to... lets see... 4tb 1 computer... 5tb in the other.. and 4tb in a nas storage... and its all full... Backing up is a pain... use a external hardrive would work for you..
DAMN! I just ordered another 1tb to back up the back up!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Use firewire for external drives (or even better esata). Make sure to turn off the indexing system for these drives and make sure there is no page file on these drives. Never use USB if at all possible and always make sure they are plugged into a backup power supply. If you see a great deal for an external usb only drive, forget it. Unless it's usb3 of course. The best externals are the sata drives and their respective esata enclosures.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Yes for someone who has never had one before, a 500GB or 1TB drive is like a bottomless pit.

I would definitely recommend getting one that you actually install in your computer: it requires a little more work to put in, but it is blazing fast compared to the old USB interface.

If you don't move files around too often, you can't go wrong with USB though. It's fast enough to play HD media without stuttering; not too good on the I/O multitasking though. I wouldn't download stuff to it and play movies from it at the same time.

Reactions: temu

·
Minimal worry.
221 Posts
Expansion drives ? I know nothing of this weird language you use. I call them EHD or External hard drive's :thumb: Personally I've found WD (western digital) is a good company.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Expansion drives ? I know nothing of this weird language you use. I call them EHD or External hard drive's :thumb: Personally I've found WD (western digital) is a good company.

I have two WD Passport drives.

Both are several years old and run perfectly still.

Both are fully encrypted using serpent-AES-twofish algorithms. Im sure NSA wouldnt have much trouble breaking them but it would take the NSA and nothing less to break them at least for the next decade or so.

Ive had other brands of drives and they suck.

WD is best

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
FWIW.
I have useed a western digital drive previously and the thing died on me with all my info on it. It was a couple of years old but they exchanged it with no quibbles. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them.

as for re-organising. there is a raft of software available from either tucows or majorgeeks . com that should do this. I daresay some of the other more savvy guys will have better sources.

Reactions: temu

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
well 1 computer just for programs and games its at 800gigs... the nice thing is I reinstall my os and since everything is installed on the other drive I dont have to reinstall all my programs just a few but then I backup the regersty for a clean install so its not big deal..

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I keep all my music on one wd500 sata external plugged into a cheap $30 esata pci card. Nice sata controller cards can cost $250 easy and I no longer have a mobo that supports sata natively. I normally keep a minimum of 20% free space on all drives but have been having issues with my music drive locking up the pc after I turn it on and the pc tries to read it. I haven't lost any data but decided to put all the folders (~100+) from the root of the drive into an 'ALL' folder instead of at the root. This has definitely helped in the locking up problem but I'm down to 12% free space too.
Always leave around 20% free for 'breathing' room.
I have a brand new sata3 320gig WD drive with all videos on it (maybe 10 gigs free). I initially wanted it for a boot disc but this old dell mobo didn't want to boot to it easily and I needed the space for data.
My c drive, an ide, has 104 gigs free. I use portable aps as much as possible and store nothing on the OS disc. I also back it up weeklyish using acronis true image.
I had so many pictures/wallpaper that I had to migrate the data from a 120 gig to a 250 gig -eesh.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
No, not if you handle then properly. Obviously if the thing is dated your better off upgrading to the newest hardware (sata3) or even ssd than waiting for the controller to crash. They will not last forever unless you never turn them on of course. I've lost only one (all my mp3's) from trying to remove the page file that was on it. Oh well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.