Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this is disjointed, but I literally pulled over to the side of the road to get this all out of my head:

I'm very uncomfortable with the US gov saying they aren't going to (try to) stop the King flu.

In a couple months (when concrete will set) I have/had a building project That will expand my storage, and had intended on adding another pallet of dry goods (grain, beans, rice etc.)

I am tempted to find some and have a pallet drop shipped to somewhere near me, and load my pallet Jack on my trailer. Then just pull it into my bay door and let it sit (Cat will get to sleep in the garage) for the next couple months.
got the milar, would just need the 02 absorbers, and I've done many a bag.

Rambles:

I think I'll need to cut the top off an IBC tote and fill it with milar bags (can't think of a better idea) , can't put much more than 1,000lbs of hard red winter wheat on a pallet in 5 gal buckets even strapping them together, and the buckets/kids are an unnecessary expense. I thought about 35 gal barrels, but their square footage: lb isn't great eiher. I could only fit ~250lbs per bucket (I HATE moving things unnecessary, but was thinking of bagging up and storing it in the barrels, I have 8 extra... But then I thought about just leaving the pallet for 2 months. Putting the pallet back on the trailer wouldn't be bad.

I intend on putting up 2,100lbs more of rice (and eat it the rest of My life)
But wheat has 3x the calories by volume and I still have more (storage) to build.
got plenty of grains already though, enough rice for a few years. Only a couple hundred lbs of beans (but I grow beans)

The rice and most of the beans (if I make this load beans and rice) I'll eat. I have wheat I'll never eat. (It'll be rotated as animal feed starting in a few years, put it up in 2007.) So it's not a loss, but.... Less useful absent need.

Also:
In the past I've either bought a few sacks of rice and put them up, or taken a trailer and bought straight from the farmer.
I doubt even Sam s would have the volume I want in one go.... And I want competitive pricing.
Ideas where I should shop?
(Someone is gonna say Walton feed.)

Looking for input to help me organize this thinking.

Don't NEED any of this, I don't keep exact records, (yet) but me and mine are fine come what may. But if I'm Doing it ANYWAY in a couple months...

I remember the end of Schindlers list when he's talking about how the ring was a life, the car was 10 etc.
Could help some people, gonna buy it anyway.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
Riviana Foods has a rice elevator in Crowley, if you wander back to Cajun country. Other elevators there too.

Farmers are nice if you know them and where they are. But elevators are much easier to find and should sell wholesale.

A lot of grain moves up and down the Mississippi. The east side of Arkansas is the largest volume rice growing region in the world.

I found this company easy enough: https://www.bigriverriceandgrain.com/locations/
They have spots in both LA and AR. They peddle corn, wheat, rice, and soybeans.

I'm sure you could find more grain elevators in the eastern half of the state.

If you want the ease of bulk delivery then Sysco Foods has an outlet in Little Rock, 5800 Frozen Rd, 501-562-4111

Reactions: Buffy and Nomad 2nd

·
Swirl Herder
3,716 Posts
Another possibility.......

The nearest beef cattle feedlot to you will be buying in grain and/or corn for finishing feed. They most likely have bulk handling gear based upon augers that could discharge straight into your IBC. When you get it home, you could mylar bag it, place the empty IBC in it's storage spot and then restack mylar bags back into the IBC.

They will probably want to markup what the grain cost them, but it is likely much cheaper than any retail.

·
Registered
34,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nomad, I'm torn between being jealous and thinking you're nuts.
Consider this and tell me if you think I'm nutz, or hyper rational like most people who know me in person accuse me of:

Do you have an extra rifle?
(Fair amount do)

Let's say that it's worth $600 as a fair median.

Sam's has rice on sale for <$1/lb, but let's go with $1 accounting for tax etc.

$600 = 600lbs (+)
~1,500 calories per pound.

600 x 1,500 = 900,000 calories.
÷ 2,000/day

That rifle is 450 DAYS of life for someone.
(Or 45 days for 10 people)

I used to build guns as a hobby.

Last FAL I sold ($140 kit, <$400 reciever) I got $1,300 for.

I got more FAL'S than I have people to take them.

How many extra guns do YOU have!?!

To continue to be rational (I think) and setting aside the video clip above:
You CANNOT get people to work together very well if they are hungry.

If You can feed them, you can (have a chance) of getting them to cooperate.

Cooperation = security.

Much better than one more rifle you don't have a shooter for.
(I bought "nice to haves" today at the grocery store, bought bulk calories too. A friend with A Sam's card is takin the (Long) trip to Sam's Sunday.
I need to research to see if the ******* who is in charge of Wallmart who made the statements I decided to stop shopping at Wallmart for is over Sam's too, and I need to shop elsewhere.)

Guns are cool, but food is power.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Sam's club has free delivery on their 25lb bags of rice. 50lb bags are in store pickup only though.
Not all stores carry the 50lb bag so check the location before making the trip. You set a store's location on Sam's main website.

https://www.samsclub.com/b/rice-potatoes-stuffing/1476?xid=pdp_bcr

https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-lg-white-rice-50-lb/prod21350925?xid=plp_product_1_2

https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-long-grain-rice-25lb/prod21350921?xid=plp_product_1_3

We prefer Jasmine White Rice and have a 25lb bag in rotation for meals.

Years ago on AR15.com's survivalist forum there was a picture of a member's bean, rice, and wheat stocks. He had barn full of pallets with 55gal drums. 4 drums per pallet. IIRC - he had about 6 to 10 pallets worth.

I call that serious food insurance!

I need to get a pole barn built. I could see putting 4 x 55gal drums in my crawl space but worry about, mice, temperature, and water. Plus handling would be PITA.

·
Swirl Herder
3,716 Posts
Sam's club has free delivery on their 25lb bags of rice. 50lb bags are in store pickup only though.
Not all stores carry the 50lb bag so check the location before making the trip. You set a store's location on Sam's main website.

https://www.samsclub.com/b/rice-potatoes-stuffing/1476?xid=pdp_bcr

https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-lg-white-rice-50-lb/prod21350925?xid=plp_product_1_2

https://www.samsclub.com/p/mm-long-grain-rice-25lb/prod21350921?xid=plp_product_1_3

We prefer Jasmine White Rice and have a 25lb bag in rotation for meals.

Years ago on AR15.com's survivalist forum there was a picture of a member's bean, rice, and wheat stocks. He had barn full of pallets with 55gal drums. 4 drums per pallet. IIRC - he had about 6 to 10 pallets worth.

I call that serious food insurance!

I need to get a pole barn built. I could see putting 4 x 55gal drums in my crawl space but worry about, mice, temperature, and water. Plus handling would be PITA.
For those with a tractor with front end loader, big enough to handle round hay bales (about >65HP), you can get or make pallet forks that turn your tractor into an improvized, offroad forklift. That makes handling pallets a lot easier.

I have pallet forks for my JD. They are quick hitched and will lift >3000lbs.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
It's just amazing the different things you can get the right tractor or a bobcat to do these days with the right attachments.

They are like a KitchenAid for your property.

·
Dismember
1,966 Posts
Consider this and tell me if you think I'm nutz, or hyper rational like most people who know me in person accuse me of:

Do you have an extra rifle?
(Fair amount do)
Nopers, just one.

Let's say that it's worth $600 as a fair median.

Sam's has rice on sale for <$1/lb, but let's go with $1 accounting for tax etc.'
\$600 = 600lbs (+)
~1,500 calories per pound.

600 x 1,500 = 900,000 calories.
÷ 2,000/day

That rifle is 450 DAYS of life for someone.
(Or 45 days for 10 people)

I used to build guns as a hobby.

Last FAL I sold ($140 kit, <$400 reciever) I got $1,300 for.

I got more FAL'S than I have people to take them.

How many extra guns do YOU have!?!

Schindler's List | "I Didn't Do Enough" - YouTube

To continue to be rational (I think) and setting aside the video clip above:
You CANNOT get people to work together very well if they are hungry.

If You can feed them, you can (have a chance) of getting them to cooperate.

Cooperation = security.

Much better than one more rifle you don't have a shooter for.
(I bought "nice to haves" today at the grocery store, bought bulk calories too. A friend with A Sam's card is takin the (Long) trip to Sam's Sunday.
I need to research to see if the ******* who is in charge of Wallmart who made the statements I decided to stop shopping at Wallmart for is over Sam's too, and I need to shop elsewhere.)

Guns are cool, but food is power.

I agree, I'm just screwin' wit ya.

Let's talk about Walmart. I have plenty of bulk supplies, so I'm getting some shorter term things that I hope I won't need. But I think I will. Prepper supplies online are starting to gouge.

The best price on mashed potatoes is at webstaurant store, but they are stupid expensive on shipping.
So for this run, I figured the price on the large 26.7 oz sized boxed potatoes @ Walmart. They were cheaper than the 40 lb bags most places.

I hit walmart on bullion granules, and also bullion granules @ the Mexican store. I got a case of sweetened condensed milk to make instant rice pudding, and raisins. Walmart for evaporated milk, more oatmeal, sugar @ $2.24 for 10 lbs, boxes of malt-o-meal and cream of wheat. Brown sugar.

Let me just slip in here that Costco has the award winning Thai Hom Mali @ 50 lbs for $37.00. It's awesome. I also got Basmati, and a Lousiana rice as my rice addition for current possible bugin. I ended up with a big variety of rice, they are different foods to me. With shelf-stable fat, water, a bit of flour, and boullion granules, a person could last a long time eating rice and gravy.

I also got the well-priced Velveeta at Costco. Cases of canned corn.
Got more canned beans @ Walmart. Hershey bars.

Got a bunch of the excellent box milk at Dollar Tree, and other stuff there. Now I need to get my brother to get me in Sam's for the converted rice.

BUT WTF are Funeral potatoes????! In honor of the victims that caused us to bug out?
https://www.samsclub.com/p/augason-farms-funeral-potatoes/prod22842643?xid=plp_product_1_13

·
Registered
34,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tractor did not work out, but I have a pallet jack.

Probably gonna get about 1,200lbs of parboiled roce.
Could definitely go cheaper, but my goal is to Alpha Strategy the prep and eat it till I die. (Not buy rice again, once I top off the $1k order after the next expansion.)

If I don't crash out I'll post a new/applicable thread and link to it tonight.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
BUT WTF are Funeral potatoes????!
Baked potato and cheese casserole that is a traditional food offering to a bereaved family after a funeral.

It's a western US plains state thing.

Personally, I prefer Cajun funeral food. Lots of etouffee and seafood gumbo. You can't bury a Cajun without a mountain of shrimp.

Reactions: hardcalibres
1 - 11 of 11 Posts