Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Crazy
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a 25 acre track back in October. Small for a farm but land is not cheap around Charlotte. We was looking to maybe build a off grid cabin. Well we started clearing a building sight and tearing down the old barns but then the neighbor stopped in. Happened to mention he was selling out when he retires in February of 2021 to move back home to be with his parents. His farm is only 20 acres but borders mine and consists of 10 acres fenced for cattle. Really nice fence that is made of telephone poles. A large barn, and a green house. Then the other ten acres is hardwoods. He lives in a single wide but it’s really nice with a pole barn style roof that over hangs 8ft on the sides to make a porch. I tell him not to put it on the market and call me when he is ready. So I went into pay my farm off mode and started pouring every dime I have to the mortgage and I’m now about 4 months out from paying it off so I can get another loan to buy his farm. Well he stops in the other day and said if I wanted to buy he would rent somewhere when I was ready. He is looking to buy close to his parents. So now the exciting part. The wife and I are thinking about selling our Charlotte based house as it’s paid for and building a large metal building house. And moving to the land full time. It will suck commuting an hour to work every day but I would be living on 45 acres and riding 4 wheelers every afternoon. We are playing with ideas. Nothing set in stone.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,939 Posts
Well he stops in the other day and said if I wanted to buy he would rent somewhere when I was ready.
Maybe consider a deal with him for a few grand less and allow him to stay in his home until he retires. (Just kinda work out that time frame in writing) If he is this interested in selling to you he may be helpful to have around for a while.

The wife and I are thinking about selling our Charlotte based house as it’s paid for and building a large metal building house. And moving to the land full time. It will suck commuting an hour to work every day but I would be living on 45 acres and riding 4 wheelers every afternoon. We are playing with ideas. Nothing set in stone.
I have been driving about 28 minutes each way to work for 5 years now. Plenty of time to think about anything and everything. I have a few favorite CDs I listen to when the radio is playing lousy music. I occasionally listen to talk radio if they are not babbling about stupid stuff (I am tired of hearing the same political arguments over the past 3 years, ugh, so the Iowa fiasco and the coronavirus is actually interesting to listen to for a change). Some people listen to podcasts while driving, might be some homesteader stuff to listen to.
If you are driving through country it is way more relaxing than a city commute. There were times when I lived in the Las Vegas area where traffic was so bad it took me 45 minutes to travel 8 miles to and from work. A ride through the hills isn't a bad thing.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,939 Posts
I was meaning an hour each way, but I get what your saying.
I knew that from what I read. I was just sharing my experience. If you are not fighting city traffic the entire way it is a long drive but it isn't always a bad thing. Now, on days where life kicks you in a gut it sucks to think about the BS for the drve to and from, but if it is normal day to day stuff the drive is not bad.

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
I would do it, based on what you describe
Sounds sustainable
I did a four hour plus commute in So. Cal for fours years in grinding traffic
Had a place in the mountains
It was worth it just to get back to the sticks
I live rural and isolated, always will
But it was a burn out
Ergo, my move to the Ozarks
Now rural and isolated and very little driving
Sounds like a great plan as your commute is sustainable
I could drive a very long time without brutal traffic and the arse-hats that make grinding traffic even worse
Would be a great set-up from your description
Hope it works out to be the best for you and your's

·
Cynical Thinker
926 Posts
I like the developments, don't take this the wrong way. On one hand you'll will have 45 acres. You'd be maintaining: a primitive cabin, a single wide, a barn and a greenhouse. You also want to build a new home. Does the primitive cabin become guest quarters or get relocated and repurposed? Does the single wide become a temporary residence while the new home is built and then removed or will it stay for guest housing?

You have a tremendous opportunity just make sure the wife is onboard.

·
Crazy
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the developments, don't take this the wrong way. On one hand you'll will have 45 acres. You'd be maintaining: a primitive cabin, a single wide, a barn and a greenhouse. You also want to build a new home. Does the primitive cabin become guest quarters or get relocated and repurposed? Does the single wide become a temporary residence while the new home is built and then removed or will it stay for guest housing?

You have a tremendous opportunity just make sure the wife is onboard.
Well the primitive cabin was to be a get away. But it we built a home there then that would be scrapped. The singlewide would also be removed after a house is built.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts