Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Journeyman
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the silver to gold ratio hovering around 45:1, what do you guys think about trading gold for silver? In my precious metals IRA, for a fee I suspect, I can do an exchange. I remember that not too long ago it was as high as 60:1. I've been hearing more about a drop towards 20:1. Whether that means silver up or gold down, it would be nice to eventually exchange back for twice the amount of gold. Wadda you think?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't see it back at 20:1 anytime in the near future. (Near future being within the next 12 months.) That would be $90 silver at an $1800 gold spot. I'm not selling one to buy another, but rather just keep holding what I have and continue adding to both stockpiles. Any extra money I'm putting into the stock market at various points when it hits lows like it did the other day. Looks like today is going to be another good day to buy a few different tickers I follow, as they're down today, but I expect them to come up over the next few days at which point I'll sell again. :)

·
Journeyman
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(Near future being within the next 12 months.)

Yeah, can't say I disagree with the time line. Way things are going I think that IRA will not be drawn from for another 3 or 4 years. On the other hand, every bull takes a breather and gold can back off several hundred dollars and still be a bull. Silver has been so volatile that it might break either way. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
219 Posts
by the time paper money is useless, silver will be a far easier monetary pm imho.try an buy a gallon of milk with $5000 an oz gold, take into consideration millions of starving masses, even more than the millions now. silver is more for less, easy to id, and wont ever loose value as a real currency. 5 oz of gold stashed will always make me sleep better, i wouldnt want to pay for bread and fuel with specks of it tho, im just sayin. not if i have the choice- and now is the time to make that decision.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but when gold topped Platinum, I took all the gold I had and put it into Platinum. It took less than a day for that to switch back.

As for silver, it is still a safe bet. The level of manipulation for silver is telling in regards to its value.

·
Not playing games
1,332 Posts
I was Just thinking of going the other way, trading in some silver for Gold.... but 1800 seems to be a point of resistance and Silver is ticking back up past 40$ again.

However, a 20-1 ratio in my silver v. Gold does not seem like a great balance.

Thoughts?

·
Journeyman
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gold and silver continue in their lockstep just shy of 45:1. gold has shown the best gain recently but silver without the manipulation should be much higher. I always lean towards silver but saw this period as a possible opportunity to increase my gold holdings with minimal cash outlay.

·
Not playing games
1,332 Posts
Maybe .... but at Kitco the talk is about Silver being un-coupled from Gold and some of the graphs seem to show they are right...

Maybe we should have a sticky for these two?

·
1,794 Posts
I don't worry about price ratios. Don't believe in them.
I buy junk silver coins for barter and gold and silver eagles for protecting wealth.

You are far from alone HI. The gold/silver ratio still has it's followers but many have abandoned it as obsolete. The disconnect was recognized by many quite some time ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts