Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
?
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quarantine in America Could Be a Giant Legal Mess

In the U.S., quarantine is the most extreme use of government power over people who have committed no crime. ...

Government officials can prevent travel, require vaccinations, make people submit to medical exams, and commandeer private property. Even those who are not sick can be ordered into quarantine—confined to their home or another location with others who may also have been exposed to a virus. When quarantine is medically justified, individual rights give way to the greater good. ...

But the average American may be surprised to learn who holds the authority to order such public-health measures. Except at the nation’s borders, the federal government, with the expertise of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is not in charge. ...

Federal quarantine orders, however, are implemented and enforced by state health authorities, not federal officials. That means state and local health departments provide the labor, set the rules, monitor people who might have been exposed to the virus, and trace the contacts of those who fall ill. ...

Until we have a need to test the limits of the federal government’s interstate quarantine authority,... who is in charge of setting national policy in the event of an epidemic emergency? The surgeon general of the United States? The CDC? And will that authority be believed?

It needs to be, because with public health under local political control, one state or local government’s failure could mean the more rapid spread of a virus anywhere in the nation.

Note that this author uses subtle but definite fear-mongering to put the power to quarantine square in the hands of the CDC--an organization that like all .govs has a history of as well as ongoing corruption. While I do see that there needs to be more centralization to prevent local breaches of quarantine, I also firmly believe there should be oversight from the State level. Possibly elected oversight officials from each state to ensure risk justifies the temporary removal of constitutional rights. But then I'm dreaming hoping for honest oversight ...everyone can and will be bought.

·
?
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The article was published in The Atlantic so there's no surprise it's pushing a liberal agenda.
I know. But the history and details of what could be legally enforced is interesting. And the challenges. I can see that a hodgepodge of 2000+ health agencies trying to coordinate a national quarantine is a problem and that part of the article is valuable.

The problem is finding a solution to federally spearhead a national quarantine in such a way that citizens are protected from dangers other than disease.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The article mentioned the confiscation of private property but never gave an explanation. Do you know what the author had in mind?

·
?
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The article mentioned the confiscation of private property but never gave an explanation. Do you know what the author had in mind?
No, but I assume it means something along the lines of the scene from Contagion where the CDC set up a mass treatment center in what looked like a sports arena, then said something along the lines of "This is great, find me six more."

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
A federal quarantine has the potential for serious abuse. That's why it needs state level oversight.
State level allows for even more clown hands out for pie, & and even more ineptitude.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
“That means state and local health departments provide the labor, set the rules, monitor people who might have been exposed to the virus, and trace the contacts of those who fall ill. “

Gag.

The only people who could do things worse than the CDC are the clowns in Sacramento.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts