Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I hope I am posting this in the right section :). I am planning on purchasing the Excalibur 9 Tray dehydrator and can't decide if it is worth the extra $50 for the timer. Also, are there any other items I will need, such as ParaFlexx Sheets?

Thanks for any information!

Fire Star

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have an Excaliber that I don't use as much as I should but I sure am glad I have it!

The timer doesn't seem that necessary to me since I check my fruits often to see if they're done to my liking so the thermostat is far more important.

I use my teflon sheets when making fruit leathers and I do find them very useful to have.

My kids really enjoyed dried apples and so I would make them in different ways and putting a handful in baggies in the freezer. All winter long they'd have a baggie like having some potato chips. Worked really great. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I had the same question. I ended up getting the timer. It's useful if you leave to go to work or expect the dehydrating time to end when you're sleeping.

Not a huge deal either way though really.

I ordered the book that Excalibur sells, it's helpful.

Good Luck

·
Registered
676 Posts
Get the timer! I have had mine for about a year now and am very happy I got the timer. It seems like my stuff is always done at night so you don't wanna be getting up at two a.m. to turn it off. So definitely spend the fifty bucks on the timer!

·
Sic semper tyrannis.
8,437 Posts
Never had a timer, I just monitored the clock.

Paraflex sheets are essential especially if you want to make crackers and fruit leathers.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have the nine tray without the timer. Fifty dollars can buy a lot of timers at walmart
The timer you buy at wal mart won't shut off the machine. Why get up in the middle of the night if you do not have to? And if your buying a 250 dollar dehydrator you might as well buy a 300 dollar one. The thing will last the rest of your life so you will get a lot of use out of the fifty dollar timer. If u can afford an Excalibur you might as well get the best one!

·
Get off my lawn!
1,835 Posts
I didn't spend the extra 50 for a timer as I have one of those timers you plug in the wall, same function (about $5 at the store). As it is I have yet to use it, never had anything over dry either.

·
Registered
986 Posts
where I live if I would have gotten one with a timer and it shut it off before I was able to get right to it to package, I would have had to dry them further due to the humidity. I just leave it on low if I cant get to it right away, that keeps what ever I have on there dry enough. I have never had a problem with over drying. Besides that, I have never had a try come out even on dryness, due to either thickness or where they are on the tray. So a timer, I don't agree with the expense, and I have been using mine almost every day for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies I really appreciate it! I ended up purchasing the 9 tray with the timer because I felt with my hectic life and 3 young kids I might need it to be dummy proof :upsidedown:.

I am so excited to get dehydrating! My husband has been killing animals left and right so I am sure it will get lots of use!

Thank you again!

Fire Star

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I do not use a timer because I'm forgetful. If my machine turned off on it's own I'd forget I had something in there :D:

I just estimate the time and check on it periodically.

Para sheets are a MUST HAVE, buy them at the same time for the discount on them if you order from their website.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts