Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three years ago I worked with this man for several months. He was a fine person with a heart as big as Texas. Greg was the type of person that was fun to be around, he was soft spoken and came as across as a caring, loving, family orientated man. Even though he was close to 6 feet 2 inches tall, and around 250 pounds, he was super nice.

Just "why" he tried to go back home, I do not know. I do know that he stayed on the phone with 911 and the orange county sheriffs office for around 2 hours. As he tried to get back home, his truck became trapped in the flood waters.

Where his truck became trapped at is just a marsh. There are no trees for miles and the storm surge got around 10 - 15 feet deep. For those of you that might be interested, look up bridge city, texas in google earth. Then follow HWY 87 to the rainbow bridge. That is the stretch of road where his truck became trapped by the flood waters.

Greg was found 2 weeks later.

When people ask "why do the local officials call for mandatory evacuations" - its because of stupid stuff like this. There was nothing at the house that was worth Gregs life.

Those that knew him will truly miss him.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/n...found_sunday_near_bridge_city_09-29-2008.html

BRIDGE CITY-Volunteers with Equusearch Texas Sunday afternoon found the body of a man who was missing since he made a 911 call for help when he was caught in the storm surge of Hurricane Ike while driving toward the Rainbow Bridge.

The body of Greg Walker was found in the tree-line of a levee by the Entergy generating plant, said Paul McElvoy of Equusearch.

The site was about a mile north of Texas 87 where Walker's truck was found. McElvoy had used an airboat to search the marshes and then he asked for volunteers to get ATVs to search the levee area.

Walker would have turned 41 eight days after his 911 call was made, said his brother, Kevin Walker. Greg Walker is married with three children, daughters ages 19 and 11, and a son, 16.

Kevin Walker said his brother had evacuated his family to Louisiana and was driving back to his house in Port Neches when the water began to rise on the highway.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
Damn Kev, I hated reading that. It's always bad to hear of a good man dying. At least he got his family to safety, his first priority, then returned for reasons known only to him. God be with his family and friends during this time of sorrow.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I will keep his family in my prayers. Its allways hard to to leave when local officials call for mandatory evacuations. When you think you can over come all odds you gamble with life. Somthing that you should think about long and hard before hand.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Maybe we shouldn't put so much worth on our material accumilations, but more on our lives and the lives of our loved ones.

Our material items are just ITEMS, nothing more nothing less. It is unfortunate that we tend to judge our worth by the material items we have accumilated.

Many of our friends and family members see how my husband and I live our lives. They see how few material things we have in our home and how little we know about the new material items coming to the store nearest you.

They feel sorry for us. They think it is so sad that we are so out of touch with the rest of the world. We are missing out on so much.....they can tell you.

They can not see the miraculous joy that my husband and I experience in our life every day. We are in control of our lives and live each day to our fullest, thank the Lord.

If every thing that my husband and I own were to be swept away in a hurrican, or torn from us by a tornado or even burned to the ground and nothing but ashes left in its place, I would be happy and thankfull to have my husband at my side alive and well to continue life with me.

I wish Greg had learned this lesson before this storm in his life. We all need to stop looking at the material items that we gather as ALL IMPORTANT. These items are not ALL IMPORTANT.

What was important was Greg. But he is no longer there. His family and friends will grieve for him. They will go on without him. And I pray for all of you who loved and lost Greg. I pray that you will all find happiness in time. And I pray that one day you will be able to look back on Greg and enjoy the good times that you shared.

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
Maybe we shouldn't put so much worth on our material accumilations, but more on our lives and the lives of our loved ones.

Our material items are just ITEMS, nothing more nothing less. It is unfortunate that we tend to judge our worth by the material items we have accumilated.

<snip>

I wish Greg had learned this lesson before this storm in his life. We all need to stop looking at the material items that we gather as ALL IMPORTANT. These items are not ALL IMPORTANT.

What was important was Greg. But he is no longer there. His family and friends will grieve for him. They will go on without him. And I pray for all of you who loved and lost Greg. I pray that you will all find happiness in time. And I pray that one day you will be able to look back on Greg and enjoy the good times that you shared.
Well said.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Sorry, Man. Damned shame.

I will say that in disaster management the single most difficult task- besides getting supplies- is when to call for evacuations. If you're wrong and nothing happens- the sheep will get pissed and whine and moan and the next time something happens, people ignore you.

You could argue that the hundreds of people that were swept out to sea or similarly killed because they didnt evacuate the barrier islands and bolivar penninsula were killed as a result of RITA. The people that fled Rita only to find that nothing happened in the Galveston area were so pissed off at getting stuck in traffic for 24 to 30 hours that they decided it wasnt worth it since "Ike will just curve north like Rita did"

Reactions: boyscout

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are right about nothing being as important as staying safe. We were going to stay home and ride out Katrina and if it hadn't been for my son's insistance that we go to north Louisiana and stay with him we would have seen our house flood with nearly three feet of water and had to live through hearing trees falling all around our house.

Some of the less fortunate neighbors did stay and lived through that. When we returned a few days later to get some things and inspect the damage, the neighbors had that thousand yard stare to their eyes. Things had not been pretty during the wee hours of the morning the storm hit.

Keeping the family safe is the most important thing, let the insurance company worry about the house and damage.

John

·
Registered
535 Posts
Was Greg a survivalist? I know a lot of Houston survivalists on this and other boards decided to stay and I thought you guys were insane regardless of how you made out. My wife and I were very happy when Kev posted a video of him bugging out even though he was over hundred of miles away. We were disappointed when he headed back a few days after the storm. We may have over-reacted since we don't know how his area really was but we thought he should have waited at least 2 more days before heading back.

We'll never know why Greg went back. Let it be a lesson he teaches us that lives mean more than possession, regardless of its price tag.

RIP Greg.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
Example of why officials call for evacuations
This is a VERY sad story and I can hear that some one you new this man. A tragic death and I am sorry for your loss.

I am curious if you feel MANDATORY evacuations are justified. ( I don't know if this situation was a mandatory evec.) Should someone be forced to leave if they don't want to?

I don't mean to be disrespectful to Greg. This is an honest question that maybe he would appreciate us considering.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That is truly sad. It never ceases to amaze me of how people always disregard the authorities when it comes to matters such as this. Of course, each person should decide for themselves if the authorities are really justified in their actions and not just go along with whatever they say like sheep. Everything must be taken into account from gathering intelligence on the subject and weighing out the pros and cons. When the threat to your very life is high it is not worth the risk unless it is to save someone else’s life.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
of course- the authorities don't exactly have the best track record in such things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts