Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
My favorite gun instructor told me once that a knife slash across a body part (arm, thigh, stomach, etc.) is more psychologically damaging than a bullet hole. Not as deadly but it has more of a "freak out" affect.
I beg to differ. A knife slash on an arm or leg that severs an artery is probably more deadly than a bullet hole. If one of your femoral arteries gets cut bad, you are going to bleed out in short order.

Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
I beg to differ. A knife slash on an arm or leg that severs an artery is probably more deadly than a bullet hole. If one of your femoral arteries gets cut bad, you are going to bleed out in short order.
True but the point I'm trying to make is that even if a slash on the arm isn't life threatening ... it may have a psychological affect greater than a bullet hole in the mind of the person who's gazing at the wound. A knife to the heart will always be more deadly than a bullet to the foot.

Registered
I was thinking a prosecutor would feel the same way..............
I just read the book, "Violence of Mind" by Varg Freeborn, a self defense instructor who was convicted of stabbing someone, even though the court agreed it was self-defense. He later got his rights restored. He made a strong point that the legal system is generally very hard on knife self defense, much more so than gun self-defense. And there is no question that a knife like that would get paraded in front of a jury and make the wrong kind of impression.

Registered
Not a knife for me. Maybe when I was 14, but not now. Just not practical for much. Plus, I am more likely in my area to run into a gun toting bad guy than one with a knife. I also find that without a good bit of training, effective knife fighting is beyond most people. It is not just stab and slash. Like anything it takes time to master.

Indefatigable
Most people don't understand a femoral artery is like a stretched bungie cord. You cut it clean through and the ends snap 6" apart. The proximal end, ends up in your belly where a tourniquet won't do you any good.
I've seen good trauma surgeons lose a femoral, you just can't open the belly fast enough to find it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts