Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure I want to call it a GHB or a BOB or what. This is a bag (fanny pack really) I carry in my car. I live in a suburban area and do some travel in rural areas. The concept is to try to have most anything I'd be likely to need for a day or two. You'll notice no firearms since I always carry. I'd appreciate any comments in particular any thoughts as to what kind of food stuffs I could carry keeping in mind it gets upwards of 140 degrees in the summer time.

That's two on liter bottles of water that I change out on a regular basis
This is the contents of the bag

Bungie cord
breath mints
$25
8X monocular
batteries
Disposable blanket & poncho
Water purification tabs
can opener
cough spray
vicks
hand sanitizer
Bandaids/mole skin, etc
personal medication
latex gloves
Israeli Battle Dressing
Ace Bandage
LEd headlight
GMRS radio
para cord
saw
locking knife
LED flash light
skinning knife
carbiners (3)
trioxine
lip balm
sun screen
9V battery
Steel wool & lint
matches
magnesium fire starter
insect repellant
sewing kit
duct tape
commercial emergency kit
camp towels
mini flashlight
mini leatherman tool
lashing strap (2)

·
Deplorable bitter clinger
964 Posts
How about an old fashioned disposable lighter, for one handed fire starting ability? I prefer the Scripto Tiny lighter because it is very small, lights several hundred times, and you can get five for under $4.00.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
Not a bad assortment, but I'd say you have some things that aren't really necessary for a day or 2 (breath mints, lip balm, sewing kit, vicks) as well as some that I would want to have on hand. (depending on what you want to be prepared for) I definitely wouldn't call this a BOB - more of a GHB. MHO - I'd rather use a small backpack and have room for other stuff that would be needed/useful if I weren't able to get home the same day, like some food and at least a change of socks and shirt.

I'd keep some food in the bag - even if only some meal replacement bars, ramen noodles, jerky, soup mix pouches in winter - or whatever you like that doesn't require being kept cold. Maybe an esbit stove or similar to cook your noodles, heat water for coffee. I noticed you have a can opener, but no canned food. I'd stay away from cans anyway - too heavy and take up too much space. Along with whatever food you decide on, you might need a metal cup of some sort and a spork. I also keep several of those small drink mix pouches in my GHB. Water (especially warm water) can get kind of boring quickly.

Even as a GHB, if you think you might not be able to GH the same day, what about keeping a light sleeping bag and bivvy or other small/emergency tent in your car also? You might also want to consider mosquito netting.

I noticed you listed several first aid items. If you don't already do this, I would suggest keeping all of that stuff together in a small bag inside your main bag. In an emergency you don't want to be scrambling to find your first aid supplies mixed in with everything else.

I like that you have a couple light sources. A headlamp can come in very handy if you have car trouble.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,430 Posts
I'd toss in a couple granola bars or Power Bars and maybe some single serving dehydrated food (Mountain House etc.)

Since it's a fanny pack, would a Camelback hold more water, ride on your shoulders and not your hips like the water bottles and be less likely to fall out of the pouches if you had to run?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some questions and comments;

Bungie cord
breath mints
$25
8X monocular
batteries multiple types?? maybe consolidate items to use the same type
Disposable blanket & poncho
Water purification tabs
can opener p-38 or 51?? sharpen and square the edge of this to use as striker for mag bar saves the edge of you knife
cough spray
vicks inhaler??:thumb:
hand sanitizer types with a high alcohol content double as a fire starter
Bandaids/mole skin, etc
personal medication
latex gloves
Israeli Battle Dressing
Ace Bandage
LEd headlight what type of batteries?
GMRS radio see above
para cord
saw didn't see this in the picture
locking knife maybe swap one of these for a full sized multitool
LED flash light
skinning knife see above
carbiners (3)
trioxine
lip balm
sun screen
9V battery is this for the radio? or combined with lower item for fire starting?
Steel wool & lint see above
matches swap these out for some strike anywhere matches in a match-safe
magnesium fire starter add a piece of hacksaw blade to use as striker
insect repellant
sewing kit this seems like alot maybe pare it down to some large eyed needles pre-threaded with white and black or small spool of dental floss
duct tape peel out the core and squash flat to save space
commercial emergency kit could you list the contents?
camp towels
mini flashlight what type of batteries?
mini leatherman tool these are nice but if space allows opt for a full sized model
lashing strap (2)

ADD;
some snack bars(Cliff, Power, Fiber One or granola)
Vaseline saturated cotton balls, dbls as firestarter and lip balm
signal mirror
whistle
metal cup that fits over bottom of nalgene
Esbit stove and fuel

when wearing this pack does it hamper your draw of your CCW??

Musubi

·
Resident Metalhead
184 Posts
I'd appreciate any comments in particular any thoughts as to what kind of food stuffs I could carry keeping in mind it gets upwards of 140 degrees in the summer time.
Unless you have sources to prove that those kinds of temperatures occur, I don't believe you at all. The highest temperature ever recorded is 136 degrees fahrenheit. The meteorologists would be all over a 137 degree day to get their name out. Here's my source. Now that, that's aside, I really don't know know of any food that would hold up well in high temeratures except probably beef jerky, I live in the midwest ;).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless you have sources to prove that those kinds of temperatures occur, I don't believe you at all. The highest temperature ever recorded is 136 degrees fahrenheit. The meteorologists would be all over a 137 degree day to get their name out. Here's my source. Now that, that's aside, I really don't know know of any food that would hold up well in high temeratures except probably beef jerky, I live in the midwest ;).

I understand your disbelief. You are basing your comment on outside temperature as opposed to the temperature inside the trunk. Notice that they are basing their study on an outside temperature of 90. It is not unusual to get up to 95 here and sometimes even 100.

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/s...1909.html?page=5&scheme=image-horiz-plain.css

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.