Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would you do if you saw someone desperate trying to survive, but never had the $$$$ to invest into the BOB, the Gun, the Tarp etc. etc.

How likely are you to help someone that you may/may not run into after the SHTF?

I'm not sure I have read any posts about how we intend to help those that are in need during this time......

just wondering how many people are out there that would help a person that you saw struggling or fighting for their life.

Have extra extra preps been made that people would be willing to barter or trade?

I say this because we are slowly falling monetarily, very slowly but it is happening. I'm trying everything, but say the SHTF tomorrow or today, I would be surviving, but my life definitly would not be as easy as some of you have it with preps. I just got into a house away from the city, I have room for preps, and just started. But it takes years to get to the caliber of some survivalists here.

Just wondering...

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Horrible answer, I know, but depends on the situation.
If it was some fellow who might make a good member, sure I might help him out with what I could. If it were some of my former employers? - not even worth a bullet to put them out of their misery:D:
At the end of the day, 90% of the people I've tried to warn about the coming hard times are too busy squawking into their cellphones and smirking at me for being a loon, so screw 'em.
Our society's beginning to reap what it's sewed, and most of us are part of the problem. At the end of the day, we all have ourselves and our immediate others to look after.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
The subject comes up regularly in here you just have to search for it.

The answer is not cut and dried but you have to consider the situation. If your SHTF scenario is short term and you have excess then you might well share some of what you have with those who have not prepared. Be careful though to not be so soft hearted that you wind up putting yourself or your family members at risk.

Some you simply turn away. Some you offer a meal and send them on their way. Some you take in as part of your inner circle and everyone in your circle now does with a little less...

Not easy and not fair... but that's the way it is.

Allan

·
Registered
268 Posts
I figure if they could pull their weight and add a positive to my group then sure if they are to be a liability and endanger my group then no. I'd give them a chance I'm sure

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just my family and friends.. During a SHTF scenario, anything that I would give up to help someone else out, will be something I'd be taking away from myself, family and friends which we will also need eventually. Unless the someone in question has something to bring to the table and offer to make the loss beneficial.

People have had a long time to wake up and stop relying on their false sense of security they have in this country..

That said, if the person in need is a child, and not responsible for the lack of readiness, I would do all I can to help.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Depends on the person in need. Now a good lookin gal with a nice erm...physique with not too much age on her lets say around my age and is desperately in need of aid, then yes I would help. Of course in this world there is no free lunch so you gotta work for your meals, and I know just what will cover the bill. :)

Maybe lude to some people but hey I could not help anyone.:)

-Cade

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think we all prepare the best we can. As for who you will help lets hope and pray that we don't have to be put to the test of helping our enemies. It maybe our test to see just how much a person is willing to give. I don't want to be put to the test cuz our neighbors aren't preparing for nothing But they all have children I WILL NOT turn my back on a child in need.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Now a good lookin gal with a nice erm...physique with not too much age on her lets say around my age and is desperately in need of aid, then yes I would help. Of course in this world there is no free lunch so you gotta work for your meals, and I know just what will cover the bill. :)

-Cade

She could also be setting you up......

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Depends on the person in need. Now a good lookin gal with a nice erm...physique with not too much age on her lets say around my age and is desperately in need of aid, then yes I would help. Of course in this world there is no free lunch so you gotta work for your meals, and I know just what will cover the bill. :)

-Cade
Dude! Watch out, some of us older broads would be a lot more help in a survivalist situation than those young chippies...besides, ya wouldn't have to worry about a badly timed conception...heh...on the other hand, maybe you should stay with your age group, us older broads would wear a young fella like you out!

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
Dude! Watch out, some of us older broads would be a lot more help in a survivalist situation than those young chippies...besides, ya wouldn't have to worry about a badly timed conception...heh...on the other hand, maybe you should stay with your age group, us older broads would wear a young fella like you out!
Heh. Why is it that almost every time I see you post, I smile and think, "Atta girl!"?

Back on topic... It's a tough call. I am one of those underprepped folks myself, but other than carpentry skills, I'd have to wonder what reason why a group would take in me or my bride. I'm a big fat guy (I consider it prepping my internal reserves. Yeah. That's it), can be annoying, not prepped enough... the list goes on.

That's me. This is about others. A couple of folks brought up children. I would have nightmares for the rest of my life if I was forced to ignore the plight of a child. But if things were desperate enough that I had to even consider that, then I'm of little help to that child. Sad to say, but it's a possibility. If my leg is shattered, and I have one bag of jerky left, no water, totally unarmed... Well yeah, the kid would probably get half of my jerky, but he or she would be SENT AWAY. At that point, I'm actually hindering the survivability of that child. Just shining a different light on that subject.

Adults would be tough. Do they have demonstrable skills that would aid in the survival of others (maybe not just me and mine)? That makes it an easier choice. Other than that, it all depends upon the situation. I can think of a lot of reasons to go out of my way to aid an MD, dentist, vetranarian, or other highly trained health professional. I can also think of a lot of reasons to tell such a person to shove off. It's all situational.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
By age I mean intelligence. No sense having a smart lady around that needs more calories to keep up her brains. If shes young and got a rockin body and she needs help and didn't prepare for the comign events then chances are her smarts ain't that high. :) Now if it were an older gal I would be cautious as I may could be tricked. You older broads are sneaky with your multitasking and such. You know us guys got a one track mine. So it's better off for me to screen damsels in distress for signs of Brittany Spears attributes. :)

-Cade

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
This is a good question and I have some good and bad to say. I have always been a person to help people when they are down. I can not say I have ever had even a close friend offer to help me when I was down. So that it comes back ten fold is crap it don't. So if you do it never expect a return for your good deed. Now I helped aa young guy and his wife he got arrested and she had no food and no bail he then lost his job because of the arrest. So I gave them $3000 dollars and they got back on their feet and moved into a new apartment and bought a car a new car. The also had a new TV and a nice stereo. So I ask when could they give me back some of the money. The reply was what do we look like we are made of money as he twisted the top of an imported beer. Turns out he was never in jail and he worked at the same place he had worked at for a long time. I never got a dime from him or her. Another time I let a guy and his wife move into my cabin. They had no home and winter was coming. I helped him get a job and she got one to. Hey great the only thing I ask was for them to clean up the property and to not cut down my trees. Well the trees were spared but they trashed the cabin and hauled in enough junk for it to become a dump site and the county even thought of fining me for it. They left and left everything including food rotting in the refrig power turned off. I later found that they had ripped of my name and had the power on for a year in my name and ran three space heaters all winter day and night. $1700 dollar electric bill all mine. So that makes me allot of times look at a guy and if he says I can't lift that my back is bad he is gone if she is knocked up your gone. If he has a dog your gone. A cat you are way gone. you smoke two packs of cigs a day and she does to your gone. Get the picture I have had this same thing happen with people I put to work who stole my tools and all kinds of stuff. So I might ask youto leave then I am going to shove my boot way up your butt with out a word. Oh and I am a big som btch and can do it. So I really cant say for sure LAMB has a good point I have tried to help young people many times it never once worked out. Older people however usually turn out to be at least honest and say I can or can't do something. or I am old and broken so I can't do it. They are more prone to tell the truth. I can after all the years of screwing myself read a person fairly well so we will see. But I say get a job any job and save a couple of bucks to get some gear. I will help you Ok but in a survival mode you trip me up and I will shoot you for endangering the rest of us. You are on point man.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
I say this because we are slowly falling monetarily, very slowly but it is happening. I'm trying everything, but say the SHTF tomorrow or today, I would be surviving, but my life definitly would not be as easy as some of you have it with preps. I just got into a house away from the city, I have room for preps, and just started. But it takes years to get to the caliber of some survivalists here.

Just wondering...
Okay, I don't have a lot...went through a bad patch and lost absolutely everything I owned except for my photo albums, a few clothes, my sewing machine and some other minor stuff back in January of this year.
But I have preps now...and it hasn't been that long!
First prep purchase: A 10' x 12' tarp.
Then I started on food...one #10 can here, one there. Just whatever I could afford when I could afford it. Bought canning jars at yard sales. Went to *pick your own* farms and got fruits and veggies to can. Made friends with a lady that turned out to belong to the LDS church and volunteered to help out at the local LDS cannery in exchange for the permission to buy food storage supplies there.
When I have a few extra bucks, I buy ammo or a good knife or something else that will come in handy when the SHTF.
I look around dumpsters or cruise the neighborhood on *big trash* day (I call it "alley angling" :D: ). Have found more canning jars, a spool of para cord, more tarps, all sorts of goodies!
I haunt the thrift stores for some supplies.
Go slow in easy, do NOT put yourself in debt to buy your supplies!
If you have a savings account at a bank, cut your deposits to it by one half. Put the other half into preps or into a *home savings account* of small bills and coins in case the banks close their doors (more and more a distinct possibility). That way you can still get some gas or food or whatever if the SHTF.
Learn a skill so you can barter your talent in a bad situation. Right now, I need a plumber and someone to construct a fence here. I would gladly barter a roof over the head of a person that could do either for me. One fence = one months rent. (I'll buy the supplies!) Plumbing fixed = 3 months rent (seriously, big job). Unfortunately, I will probably have to pony up cold hard cash for both jobs.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
My grandmother used to tell me "Neither a lender nor a borrower be." As many other have pointed out, people will use you for what they can get from you. I have helped many people in my life--including those I have trusted. Not all of them will burn you. But the ones that do will be the ones closest to you.

I used to be a compasionate person. I still am to some degree, however I am more empathetic than sympathetic. Above all though, I am a realist. I know that I cannot help the masses after TSHTF. Logistically and finacially it is just not possible. My hands would be full with those that I would be inclined to help.

Would I help someone post SHTF if their life was in immediate danger? Absolutely. A lone child? Without a doubt. Just because? Hell no.

Just because one does not have a lot of money, does not mean one cannot prepare. I am not a very dogmatic person, but a long time ago somone named Jesus said something very wise:

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he eats for a lifetime."

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Huh, thanks all for responding. It's very interesting, I would assume that over time after SHTF that little communes would start to form. Meaning that in the end, we would all be helping out each other.

I can see most jobs becoming a tradeable art...for example...shoes don't last forever, they may last long, but not forever...I could see bartering for shoes in the winter...

Tap my back tap your back type of situation.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head.

In the beginning, everyone will be scared and not knowing what to expect, so lending a hand I think to others will be less likely as people wont want to put themselves out not knowing the situation.

As time goes on and people see they are doing well and able to get by, and as the work piles up (hey, surviving aint easy!) I think people will be more willing to accept others who have something to offer.

Besides, after several months even them old broads begin to look good.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
In this scenario, it's handy to be an arsehole.

"You want in? Prove you deserve to be."

"You got ten seconds I just used 4 of em tellin ya."

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
lmao you go girl :thumb:

·
6,686 Posts
Hey, I don't mind going cougar huntin'!!! :D

·
6,686 Posts
If I don't know you, you'll be on your way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts