Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
My Persuader 7+1 +5 on stock with TRS-1 red dot weights enough already.

...and I do have a pack loaded with all the other goodies (and a little more ammo)

Note: I consider my shotgun a bug-in weapon, plenty of others for buggin' out.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Eh, it looks like mall ninja nonsense to me. I'm going to take my response to the same link from another forum.

I find the concept absurd to the extreme. Why does it have to be a self contained kit? Why wouldn't you pack any other gear if your life was really on the line? Why carry a 10 pound shotgun and only 19 rounds of ammo? He admits that the primary use of the shotgun is for hunting and getting game but why choose a tactical Mossberg 500 for the task with smooth bore, large magazine, and bead sight? This idea is a gimmick at best and damn dangerous advice for the armchair survivor. Anyone taking this thing into the woods and actually expect to live for more than 2 weeks is a fool. This is not to be taken seriously.

If a shotgun was preffered in the bush than I would advise to go with either a compact double barrel or single barrel 20 gauge, as they could easily be broken down to around 20" or so. Plus the 20 gauge will do pretty much anything the 12 can do and more ammunition could be carried. Just put the broken down gun and 100 assorted rounds or so in a pelican case and be done with it. All other necessary gear can be carried in your pack or on your belt which is where it belongs.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Not a new concept .
Many people have drilled holes in the butt of there rifles or shotguns to store a few small survival items or extra ammo . Or they put stuff in the hollow plastic butts . Many people also put some sort of pouch on their rifle sling to carry survival items and/or ammo .
I think what that guy did is a bit rediculous but basicly it's a good idea .

edit ; come to think of it , I have a small maxpidition pouch that would be a perfect attachment for my 22 or shotgun sling .

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't like what Art of Manliness did by turning the shotgun into a self contained survival kit but I do love my 870 and would always have it with me if at all possible. I tend to think of my 870 as my true do-all gun and have trained and trained using it every way I could come up with. (All types of hunting, defense, breaching, etc.)

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's not a horrible idea... but not a great one. There are just better ways to do all that with a separate kit. Leave the weapon to do what it's supposed to do.

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
Nothing wrong with buggin out with a 12 gauge and 2 - 25 round bandoleers if thats what you have:thumb:

I wont be bugging out on foot with my 12 gauge but it will be in the front seat with me:D:

·
Smoke Eater
83 Posts
I rather have my AR in my hands then my shotgun, don't get me wrong I plan to have my shotgun with me, it just wont be my main gun, and I have a BOB with a lot more room for my survival kit just my two cents worth

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,606 Posts
Guys will argue to no end the merit of this gun or that for bugging out, but "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king". Having a firearm you are proficient with is the most important thing. That said, I see no need to turn any firearm into some kind of retarded multi-tool. Stashing spare parts or other items related to the firearm in the stock is logical and reasonable. But turning it into a clumsy frankenstein erector set is just silly.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I could see stashing a small fire maker, like a magnesium firestarter; but then again, I am a fan of stashing those things everywhere.

If there is room, a gun cleaning kit would be the most idea option I think.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Only gun specific items should be stowed in the gun. It would kinda suck if you lost the gun AND your firestarter. But wait, I have a gun cleaning kit in my pack. Anyone know how to start a fire with a cleaning kit?

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Bug Out Shotgun:

Here is an entertaining and also excellent article I came across earlier today. The man created a shotgun survival kit, self-contained. Quite impressive. :thumb:

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/07/11/how-to-make-a-survival-shotgun/
WTF?

Excellent?

Knife mounted on shotgun?

My fixed blade knife is on my belt and stays there. What a genius. Loose the shotgun loose the knife. :thumb:

It is basically the "loose the shotgun, loose everything" approach. :rolleyes:

And the cheap-ass sidesaddles. :D:

:rolleyes:

FAIL. McGyver, FAIL.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ugh....This makes me sad to be a Mossberg owner :( The shottie is an excellent and versatile choice for survival, but at this extreme it is just foolish. This is like putting a gigantic shopping cart wing on the back of a FWD Honda Civic...its just stupid.

All I keep thinking of is weight...weight....weight. The knife is mounted towards the front of the barrel, wouldn't it be easier and more accessible on your belt sir?

Ok, that's enough ranting....just hate to see a beautiful thing made ugly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts