Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really not much of a shooter anymore. I'm more of someone who likes to own guns, but shooting doesn't hold as much of the excitement as it once did. That especially holds true when it comes to the state of the shooting ranges here, so that really limits where I shoot.

Sometimes (maybe twice a year), I set up a crude backstop in my basement and rattle off maybe 10 shots from a couple of my favorite guns of the time. I usually pick a time near July 4th to do it so neighbors don't know what I'm doing (if they hear it).

I did a sound test with an audio recorder placed outside to see how it sounds from outside. Only one side of the house really lets the sound out, so I make sure the neighbor on that side is away when I shoot. The houses are only several feet apart where I live, so that's important.

Admittedly, it's probably something I'd get in trouble for since I live in town. I haven't got a clue what the penalties would be. But it allows me to fire off a few shots without having to drive 30 miles to a range which used to be free and unsupervised, but now demands a $5 "donation", use of specific targets (which they sell there) and no shooting at fun stuff like jugs of water, etc.

Does anyone else here shoot off a few shots in their home when they can do it safely and secretly? Are there any soundproofing methods you use that are effective?

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a silencer....:thumb:
Yeah, that'd work. But I'd rather get a kidney transplant than go through that hassle. If I don't want to pay $5 to Ranger Rick at the rifle range 30 miles away, I certainly ain't gonna pay $200 to the government for the priviledge of paying more money for a silencer.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Erm... you need a specific type of ventilation system for indoor shooting ranges. Otherwise lead and other toxic chemicals will accumulate.
I just shoot one or two rounds and then go back upstairs and let the air ventilate. I don't stay down there after shooting.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah right... until you accidentally shoot your neighbor.

why don't you just move somewhere like arizona or Montana where the next house is like 20 miles away.... that way you only have yourself to hurt.
I'd have to shoot about 90 degrees to the right or left to hit a neighbor. I'm not an idiot. I can certainly hit my backstop from the 15' distance I have. If I couldn't, I wouldn't even be doing this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I shoot Airsoft guns in the house....when my wife isn't home. I never seen to be able to find & pick up all of the 6mm BBs though so she always knows. The only way I'd fire an actual firearm inside my house would be if some ogre broke in while I was home, if he didn't run away before I shot.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this too... but realistically, if this guy wants to poison himself who cares.

we should only care about this guys neighbors, and our gun rights.... in that order.
Uh, last night people were shooting off arial fireworks (illegally) all over my neighborhood. Any one of them could land on peoples' roofs and burn houses down. Aren't they putting their neighbors' lives at risk too?

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ohhhh, I see.

this another troll thread....
How does that make me a troll? I'm simply pointing out how I avoid breathing toxic air in the basement after shooting. In other words, I was answering someone else's concern about basement ventilation. Nothing troll about it.

·
Realist
180 Posts
Uh, last night people were shooting off arial fireworks (illegally) all over my neighborhood. Any one of them could land on peoples' roofs and burn houses down. Aren't they putting their neighbors' lives at risk too?
Two wrongs doesn't make a right!

·
Registered
395 Posts
wow... WTF are you two guys thinking??

it's people like you that get my guns and ammo legislated away one at a time.
So I guess my full auto mag dumps yesterday to celebrate the 4th will have the 2nd Amendment abolished from the Bill of Rights.

If the tv is on, I can shoot this Badlander with subsonic in the next room and the wife can't hear it.

I was going to let the first stupid post by survival mike go and then I read this....
yeah right... until you accidentally shoot your neighbor.

why don't you just move somewhere like arizona or Montana where the next house is like 20 miles away.... that way you only have yourself to hurt.
Does stupid stuff come out of your mouth naturally or do you have to work at it? I'm glad I'm not your neighbor. I bet you're a hoot.

ETA-I just searched your old posts. It seems most of your posts contribute nothing and are meant to antagonize.

I'll be glad when school starts.

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
i fancy the silencer. but seriously though, don't do it. it just make us gun owner look bat-crazy.

move to the country or suck up and drive to the range. it's all fun and game until it gets legislated.

·
Registered
650 Posts
There is nothing wrong with shooting in your basement if you have the right tools. I shoot my 22LR with my suppressor in my basement. Make sure you have a good bullet trap and make sure your weapons are sighted in before shooting downstairs...having good ventilation is also good practice as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts