Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
We will not go quietly
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anyone has used this method of intense tomato plant pruning. http://www.joyfultomato.com/indexcb.html

I am going to experiment this year with the same type of tomato plants using this method in some beds and letting them grow as normal with slight pruning in another. We have a lot of mid summer humidity and blight is always a concern, especially after I lost my whole crop last year.

·
Dangerously wild legume
44 Posts
Intense Pruning and deep planting...

I prune almost all limbs not related to new growth off of large tomato varieties, and anything that looks non-productive off of cherries and grape forms.

Sounds like they are pushing a currant tomato line bred to be larger.?

·
We will not go quietly
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No new tomato lines, just information on pruning the leafy branches to improve production. I was very interested in this method because my family never pruned their tomatoes and I am always looking for ways to increase production without chemicals. They actually say to grow heirlooms.

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,577 Posts
No new tomato lines, just information on pruning the leafy branches to improve production. I was very interested in this method because my family never pruned their tomatoes and I am always looking for ways to increase production without chemicals. They actually say to grow heirlooms.
I often nip off half of the leaves, alternating from either side, so that every pair of leaves has only one left. It does work, and gives a larger crop of healthier fruit. I don't know if I would be as extreme as the guy on that website, but there certainly is a lot of validity in removing a large quantity of foliage.

·
We will not go quietly
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been pruning my tomato plants and have learned a lot about how they grow. They are loaded with buds and small tomatoes. I have a cherry tomato plant in the yard that I didn't prune and one day decided to tend to that. I can't believe the difference in the buds since. Loads and loads. Once they all ripen it should be close to 4 quarts off of one plant, that is assuming that it stops then.
I have not kept it to 3 leaves per plant but pretty close. They look a little like trees at this point. I have seen no sign of blight and the humidity has been high. Others have started having blight issues but none here. They look very healthy.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I would like to know if anyone has used this method of intense tomato plant pruning. http://www.joyfultomato.com/indexcb.html

I am going to experiment this year with the same type of tomato plants using this method in some beds and letting them grow as normal with slight pruning in another. We have a lot of mid summer humidity and blight is always a concern, especially after I lost my whole crop last year.
More information about pruning tomatoes on the second page of this thread:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=116522&page=2
Bottom line is that pruning indeterminate tomatoes will produce less foliage and more tomatoes, but you don't prune determinate types. Also if you prune too heavily, the tomatoes will not be as sweet, apparently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.