Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though we have not made a deliberate survival plan, we routinely maintain a lot of extra food and household supplies. Often, a neighbor or two will "borrow" something, which we gladly give. We are an elderly couple with a very large family living in the neighborhood. If there should be a disaster (G-d forbid), how should we address the almost certain requests from family and neighbors for some of our supplies? Are there and established/suggested guidelines (religious, governmental, organizational) for assisting others? We never hesitate to help in normal times. How should we act in extraordinary times?

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Though we have not made a deliberate survival plan, we routinely maintain a lot of extra food and household supplies. Often, a neighbor or two will "borrow" something, which we gladly give. We are an elderly couple with a very large family living in the neighborhood. If there should be a disaster (G-d forbid), how should we address the almost certain requests from family and neighbors for some of our supplies? Are there and established/suggested guidelines (religious, governmental, organizational) for assisting others? We never hesitate to help in normal times. How should we act in extraordinary times?
There is no simple answer without knowing the circumstances/event.

What I can suggest is establishing boundaries in normal circumstances to avoid confusion in the extraordinary ones. Similar to you, I am the neighborhood and family handyman/mechanic/tool source. I am certain I will also be the one people turn to if things go South. And I am fine with that. But, I put in the extra effort now to establish boundaries and relationship guidelines instead of waiting for an event to do so.

I plan on helping neighbors and family when in need and prepare accordingly. But it is on my terms.

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
I'm a strong subscriber to the Biblical admonition to "Do good unto ALL people as you have opportunity..."

Since you have family that you, by implication, fully intend to support and provide for, you will need to work things out with them first. You must, of course, "love thy neighbor" and do literally everything within reason to aid and assist them "as you have opportunity..." If things get to critical levels you may need the wisdom of Solomon to ultimately determine who gets what and when, but I've found that a good rule of thumb is to err, at least modestly, on the side of mercy and generosity versus the opposite.

In times of distress it likely won't take much to turn once-good neighbors into enemies. That may ultimately happen anyway, but don't force them to make that choice by your actions alone.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
As an elderly couple, you should help those who help you. I am not talking about payment for services. But if someone is willing to help you in the good times, then if they are looking for help, you might want to consider helping them in the bad times. If the people asking for help in the bad times never helped you with anything in the good, then they are not worth your supplies.

Remember one thing when the SHTF, if you have it they will come knocking. Don't tell anyone anything you don't want the to know you have. Don't be getting fatter when everyone else is getting thinner...

Also, when the SHTF, you might have other needs. Keep your supplies treated like gold. Because that's what they are worth.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I have addressed this in a simple way.
There is a certain amount set aside for "giving"

It's not expensive: beans and rice, rice and beans type thing.
But that's what's (all) there is to give

Family's different (including family who aren't blood)
But they are an asset too.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
The sad truth is that all of those people that rack up credit cards spending on all kinds of "stuff" instead of taking a few prudent steps to prepare for setbacks will be the first to show up at your house trying to take stuff. This is exactly why I don't tell anybody that I have anything other than a lot of guns and ammo; take it at your own peril.

·
Semper Fi
9,489 Posts
There was a recent post about how a man's neighbors and friends(?) turned into an angry mob and destroyed his camping trailer during a mild SHTF event due to them ALL wanting part of what he had. Once he couldn't supply them all the rampage started. After everything returned to normal nothing was done about their destructive actions and he ended up moving due to it.

All these people preaching to take care of EVERYBODY are simply going to be the first victims of the mob.

OP, band together with your FAMILY and prepare to defend what's yours.

·
Daughter OfThe Revolution
32,109 Posts
I put in the extra effort now to establish boundaries and relationship guidelines instead of waiting for an event to do so.

What does your boundary setting look like? Can you give an example?

There was a recent post about how a man's neighbors and friends(?) turned into an angry mob and destroyed his camping trailer during a mild SHTF
Do you happen to remember where that is? I'd like to read about it. :)

I moved last May and had some guys prepping my old house to sell. I recently ran into one of them and he say's, "You should be happy." And I says, "Why?" Then he goes because WW111 is starting soon and you're ready." This totally creeped me out and now I am re-evaluating my storage plans. I have a full basement and currently all my preps are in there. Of course that's the first place anyone is going to look. So for any serious SHTF scenario where people are actually getting really hungry, I will not be able to defend it.

I am making friends with my neighbors though and it's a man with his wife and 3 kids. He's a contractor and very good at it. So I see him as a person I can have a mutually beneficial relationship with in SHTF. I'm going to need help and muscles here, and I can help provide food and resources for them. I have not discussed any of this with him.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Nothing is given for free. Free handouts will bring freeloaders out of the woodwork. If someone wants something, they have to work for it. If they want a meal for the family, then they can help with chores. This was done many years ago with "jacks of all trade"... they would work around the house painting, fixing fences, shoveling **** out of the stalls, etc. etc.

Do not be seen as weak or people will take advantage of you. You can still have good will by giving, just make them earn an honest wage or meal. Also, if you give for free and then stop suddenly, they will think you're holding out and then try to take it by force. Always be fair, but always let them know you are a hardass and will not put up with any funny business.

·
Semper Fi
9,489 Posts
Nothing is given for free. Free handouts will bring freeloaders out of the woodwork. If someone wants something, they have to work for it. If they want a meal for the family, then they can help with chores. This was done many years ago with "jacks of all trade"... they would work around the house painting, fixing fences, shoveling **** out of the stalls, etc. etc.

Do not be seen as weak or people will take advantage of you. You can still have good will by giving, just make them earn an honest wage or meal. Also, if you give for free and then stop suddenly, they will think you're holding out and then try to take it by force. Always be fair, but always let them know you are a hardass and will not put up with any funny business.
This ONLY works when people are willing to work and really works beter in rural rather then urban/suburban setings. In today's "entitlement" society leting it be known you have supplies is merely seting yourself up to be pillaged. Unless you have the manpower to defend your supplies you shouldn't let others become aware of what you have.

·
Semper Fi
9,489 Posts
.....Do you happen to remember where that is? I'd like to read about it. :)......
I looked through all my old posts (well as much as I could get to come up) and didn't see the thread I was looking for.

It might have been on another Board but I am pretty sure it was here.

It dealt with a guy who had his camping trailer set up out front of his house in preparation of spending the weekend camping. There was IIRC an earthquake and instead of pulling his camper back into his property (and behind a privacy fence) he simply left it in view and used it to start making coffee and stuff.

When he did that his neighbors noticed and started coming over to try to get a cup or to use his power to charge phones, etc. After the request started to become too much for him to handle he tried shutting everyone off and things erupted and his trailer was destroyed. This was in a relatively mild event where authority hadn't broken down and help was quickly coming. No one was prosecuted or even charged afterwards and he ended up moving due to the event.

ON EDIT: FOUND IT
It is post #78 in this thread.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,419 Posts
I looked through all my old posts (well as much as I could get to come up) and didn't see the thread I was looking for.

It might have been on another Board but I am pretty sure it was here.

It dealt with a guy who had his camping trailer set up out front of his house in preparation of spending the weekend camping. There was IIRC an earthquake and instead of pulling his camper back into his property (and behind a privacy fence) he simply left it in view and used it to start making coffee and stuff.

When he did that his neighbors noticed and started coming over to try to get a cup or to use his power to charge phones, etc. After the request started to become too much for him to handle he tried shutting everyone off and things erupted and his trailer was destroyed. This was in a relatively mild event where authority hadn't broken down and help was quickly coming. No one was prosecuted or even charged afterwards and he ended up moving due to the event.
I've heard so many similar stories over the years that it makes me shudder. But that's how it is. That's how people are. It's always the same. They take and take, and want more. And if you don't give it, they turn on you.

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
As others have said be very careful with hand outs. While you may feel the need to hel others in your community during not so hard times, when the SHTF you have to think about you and your's first. With others knowing you have a kind heart and are willing to help you will be one of the first to be visited.
Helping those in your community that have some hard times is what community is all about but, People are animals. They will take until there is nothing left and then come after you. Family is another matter but try to get them on board with preparing for hard times instead of coming straight to your door.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have a very few that I will share with in good times or bad, and the ones I trust now are the only I will trust later. I will help neighbors and general friends with knowledge and physical assistance, but very few know what I have prepped and stored away for when it all goes down the drain. I'm a very helpful neighbor, poor but skilled neighbor and that's all they need to believe..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts