Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a short power outage, I turned on my PC again and the internet was no longer working. It shows "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. I spent a lot of time on this problem but couldn't succeed.
Can anyone help me out on this?

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,474 Posts
Are you using your smartphone to post this question?

The first thing I would try is to reset (reboot) the modem and the router (if you have one). Disconnect the power to the modem, wait 30 seconds, then reconnect it and wait until it reestablishes the connection. Next, do the same with your router. It can take a minute or so for the connections to reset. Finally, reboot your computer to reset its IP. Unless something is broken, this should work.

If that does not work, try calling your ISP. They can check the connections to their system using their internal tools, including the router (if you have one) and the modem.

You didn't say which operating system you are using. Nonetheless, Microsoft does have a page that addresses the problem. I know that doesn't help you if your Internet access is down.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

Here is what Microsoft says:

This issue could be if Ethernet adaptor loses the IP address. I would suggest you to try the following steps.

Method 1:

Step1: You may try the steps provided for Windows 8 and RT from the link provided and check if it helps.
You may try updating the network card drivers, router and adapter firmware by following the steps provided in the article: Wired and wireless network problems

Also refer the article: Why can’t I connect to a network?

Step 2: If Windows 8 drivers are not available for the network card, then try installing Windows 7 or Vista drivers in compatibility mode.
a. Download the network card drivers from manufacturer website.
b. Right-click on the driver setup files and click on ‘properties’.
c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down.
d. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ to install it.

For further information, refer the article: Get your apps and devices working in Windows 8

Method 2: If the issue persists, you may try the following steps and check if it helps.

Reset TCP/IP and check if it helps.

a. Press Windows key + X, Select Command Prompt (Admin) and then press ENTER.
b. At the command prompt, type the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note: If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

c. Reboot the computer.

Method 3: You may also follow these steps and check if it helps.

a. Press Windows key + X, Select Command Prompt (Admin) and then press ENTER.
b. At the command prompt, type the following command and then press ENTER:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

c. Close the command prompt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration error is caused because DHCP is unable to get a valid IP Address from your NIC (Network Interface Card).
These error occurred because of DHCP cannot obtain a valid IP address from your network interface card. But don't worry, you won't corrupt anything else.
Try the following links for more help.
https://www.devicetricks.com/ethernet-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...valid-ip/899f6a68-6f3c-4591-a5ac-d743c4d1aa2f

1 - 3 of 3 Posts