Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figure with recent events Ethereum needs it's own thread. I compiled a few posts I've made and chucked them in here. Feel free to ask me questions. I will keep this thread up to date as new developments come.

When I first introduced this forum to Ethereum in Sept 2016, ETH was $12... it hit $1,387 tonight and will likely hit 3.5k by 2019. Of course I could be wrong and it could dive... or it could hit 5k. It really just depends on adoption and some of the new tech being released in 2018 on the Ethereum network being put to good use. The EEA members seem like they are comping at the bit for scaling solutions to be in place and as that happens more and more will release their blockchains on top of the Ethereum network.

Most of crypto is 100% speculative. Admittedly, ETH's price discovery is highly speculative as well, but the technology is currently the best in the space and Ethereum has the very best developers working on solutions for problems that have plagued blockchain for years and prevented widespread adoption.

Ethereum is both a platform/network and a currency/store of value. It's arguably the best store of value in the entire space simply because of current and future use along with the very best development team and leadership in crypto.

Ethereum currently processes more transactions than all other crypto combined and that's before on and off chain scaling solutions are in place.

Think of Ethereum as the internet and cloud/hosting services all in one, and public and private blockchains as web sites that are hosted in that cloud storage and are accessed through the internet.

If a corporation owned 75% of ISPs and 75% of cloud storage, would you want to own it's shares? I sure would.

Proof of work (POS) will be replaced by proof of stake and other highly efficient means of securing the network moving forward. This removes the inefficiency of Proof of Work mining (POW) that crypto like BTC use.

Proof of stake will use ~ 1% the computing power and electricity that proof of work does with much higher throughput. It's a non-issue in the long run.

Proof of stake is already on test net for Ethereum and will go live in 2018. Additionally sharding, plasma, raiden and zksnarks go live in 2018 making Ethereum "one coin to rule them all".

With on chain and off chain scaling solutions in place companies like Mastercard (already a member of the EEA) will start utilizing the Ethereum network and utility will slowly start to chip away at the speculation based evaluations for crypto. Real, widespread adoption, means stable prices, and the disruption of several industries.

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
3,017 Posts
Why the hell is ETH $1387 right now...

"Oh you can keep your METH. I'm sticking to my PMS.." I recall some early naysayer saying something to that effect when you first mentioned it. Its been fun to watch this slowly and steadily climb.

I'm still working with relatively token amounts (no pun intended) as I'm learning, but ETH is about 70% of my holdings.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why the hell is ETH $1387 right now...

"Oh you can keep your METH. I'm sticking to my PMS.." I recall some early naysayer saying something to that effect when you first mentioned it. Its been fun to watch this slowly and steadily climb.

I'm still working with relatively token amounts (no pun intended) as I'm learning, but ETH is about 70% of my holdings.
I remember that too. If the crypto bubble pops, ETH will be one of the only cryptos left standing.

·
Daughter OfThe Revolution
31,993 Posts
I think I’m holding 55% ETH. I should probably figure it out. I’m still glad I diversified though. I have high hopes for Modum (MOD) Icon (ICX) and Quantstamp (QSP). I guess we’ll see what happens interesting times for sure. Thanks for starting the ETH thread. Nice to watch the progress here.

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
3,017 Posts
Didn’t realize the cause of the slide yesterday a.m. before work, didn’t have time to research. So I picked a little more up... then watched it lose value the rest of the day. No big deal. This tech isn’t going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crypto is getting hit hard because of short sighted and greedy politicians. Koreans won't take it lying down and will vote out anyone that is anti-crypto. I think we'll continue to slide and I'm waiting to capitalize on it but until I see a decent reversal I have some money on the sidelines waiting.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Will POS, eliminate mining income
I’d hate to spend money on mining equipment for it to become obsolete as soon as eth goes POS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Mining hardware is getting difficult to find/buy. Nvidia 1080 cards are quite rare. System boards good for mining are even getting hard to find. All except of course at highly inflated prices

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will POS, eliminate mining income
I’d hate to spend money on mining equipment for it to become obsolete as soon as eth goes POS

ETH is just one of hundreds of POW based cryptos. When ETH moves to POS miners will move to other cryptos. It already happened over the summer when difficulty was going through the roof.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone else buy the dip? I grabbed some cheap ETH, wish I would have grabbed more. I was worried it would dip lower so I kept some in reserve and missed out.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Mining hardware is getting difficult to find/buy. Nvidia 1080 cards are quite rare. System boards good for mining are even getting hard to find. All except of course at highly inflated prices
I saw the news that GPU prices are going up last weekend, so on sunday I bought this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...e=evga_ftw3_1080ti-_-9SIABVR6RN1923-_-Product

From EVGA EU store, price was a bit less... 760 plus tax and shipping.

Today I reserved 6x 1060 6GB cards. I saw the price online was 329 each, drove to the store where price was 429. I told them I would buy them either in store for that 329 or I would buy them online with local pickup from said store. We made the deal, 15 minutes later when I arrived at the office and checked the price online was corrected to 429. Saved 600 euros there.

They should be delivered next week. I hope.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Anyone else buy the dip? I grabbed some cheap ETH, wish I would have grabbed more. I was worried it would dip lower so I kept some in reserve and missed out.
Sadly, I bought at three points, all of which are above the current price. :(

But I'm not selling.

It seems that there is currently some resistance at the $1k mark.

·
478 Posts
Sadly, I bought at three points, all of which are above the current price. :(

But I'm not selling.

It seems that there is currently some resistance at the $1k mark.
Same here, bought several times during the fall, the last wasn't too far off the low, but I wish I had waited longer for the first trigger pull.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts