Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Call-Sign: Reaper
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you own an ESEE 5? Is it worth the money? Is edge retention good? Is the sheath well made? Is the warranty as good as they say?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do any of you own an ESEE 5? Is it worth the money? Is edge retention good? Is the sheath well made? Is the warranty as good as they say?
I just got mine a few months ago. I've used mine out in Iraq for various things since. And I can say, yes, yes, yes. This blade is a monster. It's more of a knife shaped axe. This knife was designed by SERE instructors for survival, evasion, resistance, and evasion from a down planed. It weighs a whole pound, full tang, and a quarter inch thick. It's built to last. And the warranty alone is a good reason to buy the knife. They will replace the knife if it breaks for any reason, without question, for the life of the knife, no matter who the owner is.

It's ridiculously sharp and the edge has remained under heavy use for a good while now. Though the thickness of the blade makes it a little more suited for chopping. It's a good slicer, but a thinner blade would slice better due to less friction.

This knife is designed not to fail under the worst circumstances. So if you're looking for a knife that will last, the ESEE 5 will do it. Look into the rest of their products too. Perhaps one of those might suit your needs better than the 5. They carry the same warranty too. Hope this helps.

**note**
The first link up there, is my ESEE 5. Also, I forgot to mention the sheath. It's a nice kydex sheath with a tension lock to keep the knife from sliding around. Certainly not bad at all. The belt clip that comes with it is kind of garbage though. I'd just throw it away and get some tek-loks or something. If you can afford it though, I'd go with a Hedgehog Leatherworks BK2 Sheath (http://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/Sheath-for-the-Becker-BK-2-Knife-p/h-av.htm) . It's made for the Becker BK 2 but the ESEE 5 is almost the exact same shape. It's made for Scout Carry or horizontal carry across your back. It's pricey, but it's a much nicer sheath. I have one on the way.

·
Answer Is No
538 Posts
It's a sledgehammer shaped knife, you probably won't break it EVER. The only thing thats actualy kept me away is the fact that I realy don't like the extra wieght a 1/4 thick knife adds to a pack and my other tools more than fill all the jobs I have for them.
Buy it, beat it, love it-just make sure you keep it oiled or it will rust.
All 1095 does sooner or later.
Cheers

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had one and loved it.Beast of a knife.Only reason I sold it was because it was so close to the same size as my Busse BA-E

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
There should just be a one liner in the sticky area of the knife forum that reads

"All ESEE's are great knives, stop opening new threads" :D:

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
Do any of you own an ESEE 5?
Yes.

Is it worth the money?
Yes. As long as you're purchasing it at MSRP or lower, yeah. You have to be careful about purchasing anything on E-bay, etc. A lot of "people" are charging more, etc.

Is edge retention good?
Yes. ESEE Cutlery / Rowen Mfg. has struck an excellent balance between edge retention and ease of sharpening.

Is the sheath well made?
Yes. Built to last, just like the knife it secures.

Is the warranty as good as they say?
Yes. ESEE's warranty is one of the best in the business, if not the best, period.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts