Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've spent a lot of time working on and testing the perfect bug out plans. Like others, I'm stubborn and refuse to leave the city & the people I care about. When it comes down to it, my freedom is more important to me than my security. And I'm not going to leave the city out of fear.

But...I will leave out of necessity.

And so I wanted to get feedback on the following:

1. Motorcycle to the water (12 miles from where I live), so I can walk if it gets jacked. That said, I have plenty of bullets and bulletproof gear.

2. Dinghy or sailboat (with motor) in locked, covered, hidden storage nearby, stocked with supplies.

3. Dinghy to island twenty miles off the coast. The idea is that an island will be safer from gangs and mobs because of it's low population and difficulty to reach.

4. Caches on island, including desalination tablets and pumps. If time and money permit, actually build a full retreat there. Prepare for complete self-sufficiency.

5. Use caches, supplies, and wilderness survival skills to live off the land as long as necessary.

Anyway, fire away with critiques. If escape by sea doesn't work, I've also got escape by air and escape by land plans to share...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I've spent a lot of time working on the perfect bug out plan. Like others, I'm stubborn and refuse to leave the city & the people I care about. When it comes down to it, my freedom is more important to me than my security. And I'm not going to leave the city out of fear.

But...I will leave out of necessity.

And so I've been working out and testing various bug out plans.

The idea is this:

1. Motorcycle to the water (12 miles from where I live), so I can walk if it gets jacked. That said, I have plenty of bullets and bulletproof gear.

2. Dinghy or sailboat (with motor) in locked, covered, hidden storage nearby, stocked with supplies.

3. Dinghy to island twenty miles off the coast. The idea is that an island will be safer from gangs and mobs because of it's low population and difficulty to reach.

4. Caches on island, including desalination tablets and pumps. If time and money permit, actually build a full retreat there. Prepare for complete self-sufficiency.

5. Use caches, supplies, and wilderness survival skills to live off the land as long as necessary.

Anyway, fire away with critiques. If escape by sea doesn't work, there's always escape by air to the mountains...
If you don't own the island, be careful that there is not someone who does that is going to show up and claim your stuff. AFAIK there are no 'public land' islands in CONUS, even if undeveloped, someone owns it.

Make sure your island is well off of shipping lanes. Don't want passersby to see your signs.

Make sure your boat is in a sheltered harbor and not visible from the open water. Again, don't want passing boats to spot you.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
You didn't mention if it was a fresh water lake/river or salt water bay/ocean.
If salt water it would need a water source or, after awhile you'd have to depend on rain water.

If fresh water, most lakes and rivers have a lot of pollutants and you'd need a good filter system that would take care of chemicals, etc.

For the short term, thought, it migt be a good safe place to hang out.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Being a former commercial fisherman, its only a matter of time before there is a landing and you are captured or killed. Islands that are safe do not exist within 500 NM of the US. Sorry to burst the bubble.

Islands mean underwater structure and that in turn means someone will be fishing the structure. More so with no fisheries cops on duty..... Yep, any light or fire, any smoke or cooking and it would be days not weeks before you got found out.

To make matters worse there is none or almost no practical populations of protein. (meat) those are on the mainland.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
im kinda curious about escape by air.

it sounds like a good plan but people who live on the island and a lack of fresh water and food might screw ya over.

T

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In addition to the solar still, there are desalination tablets and pumps.

For food, there's wildlife, edible plants, and fish.

Here's a "stranded at sea" version of the solar still I read about:

TO DESALINATE H2O

Step1

Select a position where the wet sand meets the dry dunes. Lay a sail flat on the wet sand and trace its outline. Remove the sail.

Step2

Dig a round trench inside the triangle until it fills with two inches of water. Pile the excess sand around the outside of the trench. Place some sand in a pile in the middle of the trench. The outer walls of the trench should be twice as tall as the center pile.

Step3

Scoop a dip into the center pile of sand. Lay a windbreaker inside the dip to form a bowl. Stretch the sail over the entire trench, securing the ends with heavy rocks. Spread sand between the rocks to effectively seal the sail.

Step4

Place a rock on the sail over the center of the bowl. The rock should pull the sail downward to slope within the bowl without touching the bowl or pulling the sail away from its anchors.

Step5

Wait while the sun warms the trench water. Condensation will form on the underside of the sail and desalinate the water, dropping it into the center of the bowl.

·
Banned
317 Posts
You will not be the only one with the idea about the island.........be first and be ready to repel boarders.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts

Is this purely hypothetical or do you have an actual island in mind?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts