Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
i'm new to the site and wanted to get some feedback on how to evac South Florida in case a SHTF event unfolds. In my opinion, S. Florida may be one of the most challenging evac areas in N.America due to its geography and demographic concentration. Unless you have access to a watercraft with ample supply of fuel (or a sailboat), or aircraft with pilot, the northern land route is the only way.

So my question is how would you head north? Which land routes would you take? My thinking was to travel on rural roads, avoiding the i-95, turnpike etc. I'd like to get as far north as possible (the northeast), avoiding heavily populated centers along the way:xeye:.

Thanks.

·
Bazinga!
1,553 Posts
If your an early evacker take the turnpike north as far as u can then head east/west depending on where the threat your running from is located (hurricane).
If your not early leaving you are boned. You can only go smaller roads or try to leapfrog along A1A thru more unpopulated areas. If you don't have at least 4 routes laid out and researched you better be driving a vehicle you can live in...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Best way to escape south Florida is to LEAVE NOW!

I left a few years ago. Could not be happier.

Your best bets will be to head inland and then north. Beeline Hwy to Yeehaw Junction is only one mile longer going the turnpike. Many more back road options. There are also some Greenway under passes, under the Turnpike if you are going over land.

Check out routes on google earth. Check them out in your spare time. Mark them down on paper maps. Then prey you never need them.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just looking at maps I75 looks better than I95. You will need to get moving as far ahead of the pack as you can. When you are on the interstates, be aware of how far until the next and last exit are so you can get off when traffic starts to get heavy or stopped.

Looking at the state highways through the central part looks like your best bet. Be sure you have plenty of fuel and in good repair, that doesn't look like a good place to be broke down.

Unless you already know them well, I wouldn't take the back roads. You probably won't be able to make good time and could end up on a dead end.

·
Gettin By
1,405 Posts
I think that short of relocating now a sailboat is your best bet. Depending on the size of your family a 27-35' boat would get you a long ways and carry enough supplies to keep you going for a period of time. Not a major expense to buy either if you don't mind doing a little fix up. Best site I have found and you happen to live in the best state to buy a boat.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/search/

Obviously this doesn't work if your event is a hurricane. But just about anything else I think a sailboat is the answer short of relocating. Lot's of small islands with very few people down through the Florida Keys.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,739 Posts
If you don't leave early you're only chance will be to ride a dirtbike or quad. Can take all the rural roads and go along the shoulder/ditches or the expressway. Not sure your laws on orv on the roads though. Here it varys by county.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the Internet was still up, I would definitely consult Google maps, since they give real-time traffic updates. This is my plan for picking the backroads to travel from NC to SC to see the eclipse next week.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I'm in SWFL,and rush hour traffic can be bad in normal times,throw in an accident,and your screwed.Like others said,leave early is the only option.At least with a hurricane,you have several days notice,and you may have to only go 60-100 miles to avoid it.

Bad thing is,a hurricane can change paths,leave too early,and you may be moving into it.Also,not every employer will just let you leave for a week,they will wait till the last minute to make a decision.Been there.

I live with my elderly mom.I looked into buying an open ended plane ticket for her.Just a ticket that can be used anytime,to a few locations that other relatives are at.There is no such thing.So I have a credit card I've never used,to buy a ticket when things look iffy.Other than my preps,not much more I can do.

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
5,539 Posts
I live with my elderly mom.I looked into buying an open ended plane ticket for her.Just a ticket that can be used anytime,to a few locations that other relatives are at.There is no such thing.So I have a credit card I've never used,to buy a ticket when things look iffy.Other than my preps,not much more I can do.
Make sure you use that credit card occasionally (and pay it off). Otherwise, you could be in for an ugly surprise when you need to use the card.

Also check with TSA about your mother checking in and boarding a flight on a ticket she doesn't have the credit card that bought it. "Interesting" things have occurred at airports over tickets bought by someone else for the passenger :(

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Best way to escape south Florida is to LEAVE NOW!

I left a few years ago. Could not be happier.

Your best bets will be to head inland and then north. Beeline Hwy to Yeehaw Junction is only one mile longer going the turnpike. Many more back road options. There are also some Greenway under passes, under the Turnpike if you are going over land.

Check out routes on google earth. Check them out in your spare time. Mark them down on paper maps. Then prey you never need them.

Good luck!!!
This^...leave now, its full of communists, your chances of survival among them is very low...move NORTH, at some point a hurricane will hit south FL and you'll be clamoring to get out but you'll have to deal with communists, if you choose to stay you'll have to deal with communists...leaving now greatly increases your chances of survival...

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the Internet was still up, I would definitely consult Google maps, since they give real-time traffic updates. This is my plan for picking the backroads to travel from NC to SC to see the eclipse next week.
I would recommend a CB radio. Get one, Talk to the truckers, and make them your friends. They seem to know roads better than anyone. Using my CB on the interstate has helped me avoid a lot of stand still traffic because of wrecks or whatever.

·
1/2 water 1/2 woods
517 Posts
LOL! been thinking about it for the last 6 years or so. I figure if it's summer, the die off rate will be incredibly fast, but after lots of research, I think I will just pray something happens when I'm in my NC location. :) If not, back roads up thru the center of the state, but those will come with it's own set of problems. I'm around a lot of boats, have already picked out a few to, uh hem, borrow if needed, but then which way? South to the keys? To the islands? North? West? The choices will be the hardest part. Maybe stay here in Miami and become a warlord? LOL!

·
Registered
33 Posts
First of all what events are you talking about? Hurricanes I can understand but the last hurricane that was significant was Hurricane Charley. People evacuated and it was a **** show. For example after the storm hit, leaving Orlando and heading back to Tampa took over 12 hours to get back to Tampa which would take an hour with traffic. So if its anything else than a hurricane its probably safer to hunker down and wait it out. Central Florida you have plenty of water and wild life to feed on such as gators.

·
youtube.com/Kraka069
333 Posts
LOL! been thinking about it for the last 6 years or so. I figure if it's summer, the die off rate will be incredibly fast, but after lots of research, I think I will just pray something happens when I'm in my NC location. :) If not, back roads up thru the center of the state, but those will come with it's own set of problems. I'm around a lot of boats, have already picked out a few to, uh hem, borrow if needed, but then which way? South to the keys? To the islands? North? West? The choices will be the hardest part. Maybe stay here in Miami and become a warlord? LOL!
Dry Tortugas National Park>?

40 ft walls.. can see anyone coming miles out..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the great advice lads. My biggest worry aside from a hurricane is a doomsday scenario in which there has been a major attack, foreign or domestic, or major riots (ie LA in the 90s but a lot larger and widespread). A Miami Dade Police Captain told me a few years ago that during hurricane Andrew for several days they just had to watch criminals looting becuase there was no infrastructure to arrest and jail them. Looking at the demographics of South Florida leads me to believe that if it was a free for all, I would need some serious firepower to stay safe. Better to get out of Dodge before that or hunker down? Not so sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the great advice lads. My biggest worry aside from a hurricane is a doomsday scenario in which there has been a major attack, foreign or domestic, or major riots (ie LA in the 90s but a lot larger and widespread). A Miami Dade Police Captain told me a few years ago that during hurricane Andrew for several days they just had to watch criminals looting becuase there was no infrastructure to arrest and jail them. Looking at the demographics of South Florida leads me to believe that if it was a free for all, I would need some serious firepower to stay safe. Better to get out of Dodge before that or hunker down? Not so sure.
I was in Kendall during Hurricane Andrew and I read an article in the Neighbors section of the Miami Herald about a guy who was hunkering down in his damaged house in Cutler Ridge. In the background of the photo of him, the words "TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT" were spray-painted on the front wall. This was right there in the paper and the article was sympathetic to his plight. I remember reading that and thinking that that was a guy who had his act together.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This^...leave now, its full of communists, your chances of survival among them is very low...move NORTH, at some point a hurricane will hit south FL and you'll be clamoring to get out but you'll have to deal with communists, if you choose to stay you'll have to deal with communists...leaving now greatly increases your chances of survival...
I savor the irony of so many self-proclaimed patriots missing the irony of a user named Kalashnikov complaining about Communists three times in one sentence.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If your an early evacker take the turnpike north as far as u can then head east/west depending on where the threat your running from is located (hurricane).
If your not early leaving you are boned. You can only go smaller roads or try to leapfrog along A1A thru more unpopulated areas. If you don't have at least 4 routes laid out and researched you better be driving a vehicle you can live in...
Their are four routes out of Dade county. the Best one is US 27 it will take you north through small town central Florida where their is No Traffic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts