Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've narrow it down to these 4 ok 5 pistols-
Berreta PX4
FNH FNX-9
Glock 17 or 19
Springfield XDM

Some info to know- I'm a lefty not a big issue but that does play a part as far as controls go- big reason the FNX-9 is on the list with the dual slide release (very nice FNH, very nice indeed). Weight is also a big concern for me- I want a easy carrying full-size hi-cap weapon and polymer fits the bill- I prefer it actually. I am only interested in 9mm so if you have a problem with this caliber DO NOT REPLY! thx
Main concerns for me being that these are ALL very close in comparison- price = what am I getting for the money (Springfield XDM throws a lot at you out the box- 3 mags, speed loader, a holster and mag holder :eek: Looking to stay in the $500-600 range.
Now here is where I need help- accuracy, durability, RELIABILITY, and value.
Only one I don't have hands on time with is the XDm (hoping to get some range time soon). I usually prefer the striker fired smoothness, Glocks are hard to beat and I don't want to be bias but MAN they are just great pistols!
So please give me ALL the pros AND cons of these pistols only you may have. thx guys

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have experience with the Springfields and Glocks. They are both excellent guns. I favor the Springfield though because of the way it handled in my opinion

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I am gonna make this a bit harder on you and a bit easier possibly.

I am left handed and hit this wall myself, but here are two other options and some other comments.

1. Two options you may not have looked at is the Walther P99 which is very ambi and the slide release is nice and big like the HK. Also the S&W M&Ps are very nice and probably what has the best chance of taking glocks market.

2. Glock, I own 2 glocks carried them and generally like them, but they are like the SIG226/228s they just aren't as left handed friendly as they could be. That said the reason why I care about this is because I do a lot of one handed drills for that "just in case" issue. They are manageable but your XD, M&P, Walther P99, and HK USPs are far more friendly in this. This shouldn't be a deciding factor just something to think about.

Also a side notev speed loaders really aren't worth much and the holster/magazine carrier really are only semi useful at the range. They aren't daily carry useful.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
You could always stop being left handed,... my Pop always told me that :)

Same issue here, the world has ignored us even through right handed shooters need to use both hands sometimes.

I went with the Glock and just trained myself to use the controls. Even though a system with controls right where I would need it could be slightly faster, I am not all that bad having to go through the extra motions now.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts
Have you tried a CZ-75? It might just turn out to be your favorite pistol. It immediately replace a Sig as mine. Well, I like 1911s better, so technically it's my second favorite.

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
I got a Taurus 24/7 Pro
17 rounds of 9mm and my wife and kids can handle it.
It will not shoot crappy S&B ammo, but other than that it has never failed me.

Accurate, cheap, easy to shoot. What more could you ask for?

·
Lead Farmer
29 Posts
I have experience with the Springfields and Glocks. They are both excellent guns. I favor the Springfield though because of the way it handled in my opinion
+1 I have a Spingfield in a .40 and love it. Comfortable in my large paw, never had a FTF, accurate, and comes with a lifetime warranty. I'm also looking for a 9mm now and I'm going to stick with Springfield again.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Glock 19, reliable, light weight, compact size, simple to work on, plenty of inexpensive parts, mods and accessories, can take higher capacity magazines up to 33 rounds, can be turned into a carbine, can be paired with a carbine sharing the same mags, resistant to the elements, easy to work on yourself with no gunsmithing experience, inexpensive and plentiful mags, every holster maker has a version for a g19, no safeties to fumble with, durable and proven.

cant go wrong and wont have a hard time reselling or trading it it if you decide its not for you.

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
I own a couple Glocks (23 and 27) in 40 cal, I would guess the 9mm's are just as good. I love the Glocks (even though I am a 1911 fan) and carry mine all the time.

I also own the XD in 9mm. Great little gun and you're right you get a lot of extras with it.

I like the Beretta's, but never owned one.

MID on post#3 made a good point about lefty-friendly guns. I own a couple of Walther's. They feel great in the hand and shoot great, I just can't get used to the reverse safety (compared to a 1911) and have to really think about what I am doing, thus slowing me down quite a bit. That would be overcome easily for someone that doesn't shoot 1911's for years and years and then buys a Walther. :)

All the guns you listed are good ones though, so no way you can go wrong.

·
Registered
659 Posts
preferably I like my baby Eagles great guns I haven't had any trouble out of them. the way I look at it. the Jewish people has been at war since the beginning of time.why can't they make a great firearm. think about it

·
OTP Rebel
997 Posts
Have you tried a CZ-75? It might just turn out to be your favorite pistol. It immediately replace a Sig as mine. Well, I like 1911s better, so technically it's my second favorite.
The CZ-85B has ambi slide and safety but weighs 1000 grams empty and has a exposed hammer .The one I had just plain shot . I have a G19 now.

·
Learning All the Time
205 Posts
Berreta PX4 - I don't know anyone who has a Barreta that loves it. YMMV
FNH FNX-9 - Doesn't have a long track record
Glock 17 or 19 - Best of what you have listed. Tons of stuff for Glocks.
Springfield XDM - Hard to get parts for, limited aftermarket support.

I would also consider the M&P, and CZ's.

preferably I like my baby Eagles great guns I haven't had any trouble out of them. the way I look at it. the Jewish people has been at war since the beginning of time.why can't they make a great firearm. think about it
I had a baby eagle it was the biggest POS gun I ever had. I sent back to the factory 3 times for jamming. They never fixed it. Very inaccurate as well.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My vote is for the Glock 17.

Very light, very reliable, requires VERY LITTLE oil, or no oil if you choose...

The coating is impossible to scratch on the slide.

You have the lower assembly which requires no cleaning, and the upper consists of the slide, barrel, and spring. Very simple (though most are these days).

Modifications are almost endless. Also houses a small rail on the underside of the barrel to mount laser/taclights, etc.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Im a lefty and I have an XD40. The slide release isnt much of an issue though. I can still function it with my index finger, just took me a little practice.

As you well know, its not very easy to find left-handed guns on the shelf and when it comes to guns Im not big on ordering. That presents me with a decision... Do I want to order and wait or do I learn how to work the problem out and take the thing home?

Since every gun I own is right-handed I worked my issues out long ago and can work any portion of any gun just as efficiently as the right-handed people the gun was designed for. Practice, practice, practice. Hell, I wouldnt know how to use something that was left-handed.

The only other gun you have listed that I have any experience with is the Glocks and I worked them out the same way I did my XD. I personally prefer the XD over the Glock, but that is purely a preference and comfort issue. The XD just feels better in my hand.

Also, whatever you choose, learn to shoot it right-handed (off-handed). You never know when your strong hand will be busy or full when you need access to the gun. You may also find out youre better with your right hand. When I was shooting on a regular basis I was actually better with pistols in my right hand despite doing everything else in life left-handed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All good so far, but keep in mind PRICE! Firmly in the $500-$600 range and would prefer to buy new.
The way I'm looking at it right now;
PX4- cheapest, a lot of bang for the buck, plus possible cross mag versatility with CX4 carbine (you never know, like Nutnfancy says "options are good").
FNX- well I've actually shot the FN9 so I need to get my hands on an actually FNX but I doubt there will be much of a difference, general impression- I like the Glock better. The heavier slide was very noticeable after shooting the Glock. Will the ambi slide and more shooting time sway me...only time will tell. I like that it comes with 3 mags though that's a big plus.
Springfield XDM- REALLY REALLY need to get my hands on one, from the research I have questions about durability though- seems they have issues with dry firing.
Glock- love them, but really after 20+ years NO ONE seems to be able to out shine these bad boys??? right now they are in the lead but hoping to be surprised.
I can't say it enough though, with this economy and huge lack of funds the Berretta could just win out purely because of price.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I own a PX4 in 9mm and have few complaints about it. The finish on the slide isn't very durable but average and adequate. The factory sights put the POI lower than I like. Other than that... I love it. Fits well, controls are all in the right place and the right size for me. It's by far the easiest pistol to break down to clean. It's been 100% other than one bad mag I got out of 5. If you go for double action pistols, like me, its the way to go.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I grew to like my g17 just had to put my time on the platform at the range. Of course its accurate and super reliable just had to get over the grips on it.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Springfield XDM- REALLY REALLY need to get my hands on one, from the research I have questions about durability though- seems they have issues with dry firing.
Dry firing isnt good for ANY gun. Sure some of them can handle it better than others but its not something I would do with any gun no matter how much I paid for it or whos name is on it.

For trigger practice there are some dummy rounds made. I forget the name of them but I found some in one of local gun stores last week. Red transparent plastic 'rounds' that have a spring on the inside that holds the 'primer' up. When you pull the trigger the spring acts as a shock absorber for the firing pin.

If I was going to be dry firing a gun Id get me some of those.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts