Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Farmer john mentioned a great American "Popcorn Sutton"

Popcorn was an expert at "Make Do", and had valuable skills

his life was worth knowing about,and how the Federal government killed him should be known as well.

and

There is a CD on his life called "The Last One"

a segment on his death

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
I was just watching those videos the other day.
Weird. :D:

The fact that he was driven to suicide by the government upsets me deeply.
I can see myself good friends with a man like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Didn't know the man, but I can't help but to love his spirit. I would have paid good money to sit in with him on a batch run. At best I paid for his movie documentary and have enjoyed it many times.

I cannot understand why the US government allows a man to make 100 gallons of beer or wine per year tax free but wants to lock you up if you distill an ounce of it.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
personaly I think distilation of bevereges makes a lot of sence just because of space saving you get more in one bottle and thats how cognac came about for sailors so they could take it on ships and dilute it down to wine consistasncy but people liked it the way it was so much they never bothered

·
Young ******* Adult
140 Posts
Wow

Why the heck did you call me a pot head? I said I might and I might not have plants by my house. I dont know if I do. Back in the day before they grew pot in our area I heard. That doesnt mean I grow it. And why did you ask me if I was a BATF agent? Im 15 and I made the moonshine thread originally as a joke. Yes my great grandpa was a bootlegger and I do know his recipes but I dont make them. The apple pie moonshine thing is one of the recipes my great grandpa had in his moonshine book thing. So next time Sir, please dont hijack my thread and start saying stuff that you can prove.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Didn't know the man, but I can't help but to love his spirit. I would have paid good money to sit in with him on a batch run. At best I paid for his movie documentary and have enjoyed it many times.

I cannot understand why the US government allows a man to make 100 gallons of beer or wine per year tax free but wants to lock you up if you distill an ounce of it.
to make it simple TAXES
Distilled spirits are heavily taxed and these high prices result in some demand shifting to lower cost alternatives. In 2007, approximately 39% of the retail cost of a bottle of 80 proof spirits went directly to taxes and fees. This is based on a retail cost of $11.94 for a 750ml bottle. According to the Alcohol Trade and Tax Bureau, the federal tax on distilled spirits is $2.14, which is significantly higher than the federal tax on a 750 ml bottle of wine. The tax on wine varies based on the alcohol content from a low of approximately $0.21 per bottle of 14% alcohol or less, to a high of approximately $0.67 per bottle of natural sparkling wine. State and local taxes on average for the same 750ml bottle are $2.48 or 21% of the retail cost. If taxes continue to increase, it could have an adverse impact on the growth of distilled spirits. For example, in May 2009, the state of Illinois passed House Bill 255, increasing the current excise tax on spirits in Illinois from $4.50 per gallon to $8.55 per gallon – a 90% increase. This legislation is currently under consideration in the House.
http://www.accuval.net/insights/industryinsights/detail.php?ID=103

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

All about the almighty dollar, it would be a tax revolt to do so.

Google "Whiskey Rebellion"

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why the heck did you call me a pot head? I said I might and I might not have plants by my house. I dont know if I do. Back in the day before they grew pot in our area I heard. That doesnt mean I grow it. And why did you ask me if I was a BATF agent? Im 15 and I made the moonshine thread originally as a joke. Yes my great grandpa was a bootlegger and I do know his recipes but I dont make them. The apple pie moonshine thing is one of the recipes my great grandpa had in his moonshine book thing. So next time Sir, please dont hijack my thread and start saying stuff that you can prove.
don't make references to a thread without posting a link, otherwise your allegations cannot be examined and hardly merit a reply.

You are invited to do so if you wish, otherwise kindly rant off.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
G-d forbid the feds should leave this old guy alone.
He was such a threat to the country.

Can't control our borders, but... they can safely harass this guy to his death.

Great job, feds. You should be proud.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Farmer john mentioned a great American "Popcorn Sutton"

Popcorn was an expert at "Make Do", and had valuable skills

his life was worth knowing about,and how the Federal government killed him should be known as well.

YouTube- popcorn sutton last run

and
YouTube- Popcorn Sutton Interview

There is a CD on his life called "The Last One"

a segment on his death
YouTube- At Home with Popcorn Sutton
He truely was a good man little rough around the edges but good. Shame more people arent like him anymore.

Reactions: LiftRanger

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
He truely was a good man little rough around the edges but good. Shame more people arent like him anymore.
His breed were not the prepping kind, they just lived that way all the time. I am sure that if you explained what most are doing this thread, he'd probably laugh. What is common sense to folk like that is a steep learning curve for many of us trying to learn the basics.

My hat goes off to these simple honest and hardworking folk.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
His breed were not the prepping kind, they just lived that way all the time. I am sure that if you explained what most are doing this thread, he'd probably laugh. What is common sense to folk like that is a steep learning curve for many of us trying to learn the basics.

My hat goes off to these simple honest and hardworking folk.
I met popcorn once when I was younger my parents took me up to the mountians for the weekend we liked going to the junk shops and we ran into him I ferget where but he was a nice guy only reason he stuck in my memory was as a kid popcorn was a funny name but I learned a good bit in our brief encounter.

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
God Bless all moonshiners.

My moonshine comes off the still over 95% alcohol which gets diluted down to 50% + or -.

Never gives a hangover.
The best quality and best tasting alcohol I've ever drank.

I've made:

orange cognacs, coconut rums, single and double malt scotchs, absinthe, chocolate absinthe, banana liquors, cherry cognacs, and of course straight up alcohol spirits.

Popcorn seemed to be a genuine guy.
We all probably would've learned a great deal from him and got to know a good person.

·
Consent Withdrawn!
2,020 Posts
I watched, and have saved, the documentary on his life "The Last One."

He was true to his roots; crude and rough-around-the-edges.

I believe that he knew what "free" meant.

And, he refused to live any other way but free.

Therefore, he is no longer with us.................

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I watched, and have saved, the documentary on his life "The Last One."

He was true to his roots; crude and rough-around-the-edges.

I believe that he knew what "free" meant.

And, he refused to live any other way but free.

Therefore, he is no longer with us.................
I have not seen the documentary I would very much like to

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.