Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys talk about the end of the world and prepairing for it do you mean the literal end of the world or a major disaster?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Preparing for the literal end of the earth (the planet uninhabitable for mankind) means 1) surviving by getting off the planet, or 2) preparing spiritually. One of which is not currently pratical for the individual and the other of which is a personal belief issue.

Generally we are speaking of some sort of disaster. Natural disaster, war, economic collapse, etc. The problem can be as minor as a prolonged power outage to as major as full out nuclear exchange between nations.

As responsible citizens we need to be able to contribute to our nations both in good and bad times. As responsible people this means being able to care of ourselves and loved ones.

We prepare not because we are pessimists, but because we are optomists and believe survival IS possible. We prepare not because we desire turmoil, but because we refuse to be victims when it does occur.

Cheers,
-Per.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
Preparing for the literal end of the earth (the planet uninhabitable for mankind) means 1) surviving by getting off the planet, or 2) preparing spiritually. One of which is not currently pratical for the individual and the other of which is a personal belief issue.

Generally we are speaking of some sort of disaster. Natural disaster, war, economic collapse, etc. The problem can be as minor as a prolonged power outage to as major as full out nuclear exchange between nations.

As responsible citizens we need to be able to contribute to our nations both in good and bad times. As responsible people this means being able to care of ourselves and loved ones.

We prepare not because we are pessimists, but because we are optomists and believe survival IS possible. We prepare not because we desire turmoil, but because we refuse to be victims when it does occur.

Cheers,
-Per.
Per
I don't think I have ever heard it said better !
RevPaul

Reactions: joes

·
Premium Member
127 Posts

Cheers,
-Per.

Here, Here.

Wiff

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
eotwawki means just that - End Of The World As We Know It.

The key word is "we," that can mean your family, your spouse our the entire world.

December 7th 1941 was a eotwawki day.

September 11th, 2001 - was a eotwawki day.

What else?

August 6, 1945, the nuclear weapon Little Boy was dropped on Hiroshima - that was a eotwawki day.

9 August 1945, Nagasaki was the target of the world's second atomic bomb attack at 11:02 a.m - that was a eotwawki day.

Some people consider eotwawki events as world wide - some type of nuclear war, world wide disease, or a meteor striking the earth.

So, an eotwawki event can be you getting married, having children to the literal end of the world as we know it through nuclear war.

I am sure a lot of people will disagree with my definition, but there it is.

:cool:

·
Wild Wild... East
3,014 Posts
Also, in my opinion, an eotwawki means a big change of our lives.
That means to be fired or WW3.
The main isue is to hope for better and prepared for worst.

Bogdan

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Speaking for myself it means any large scale, long term disaster which I cannot escape from or avoid. This could be a manmade or natural event but the basic premise is a disaster that is survivable given proper preperation and planning. Proper preperation prevents poor performance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
system breakdown

EOTWAWKI is, as I see it, basically the breakdown of human systems. Like a domino effect, vulnerable systems will fail and upset the major systems and it will be irreversible. It has already started. We are at the beginning of the end of the world we have built up over the last 4-5000 years and it will all collapse much quicker than it took to build. We have been here before. We don't learn. I'm not sure we can ever learn.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Generaly we classify the folly of man with the known standards set in place about 20 years ago. Levels 0-5 in the link below. In the 5th level the things we assume humans are not capable of take place due to the overall species stress on mankind.

http://www.savvysurvivor.com/scenarios/scenarios.htm

TEOTWAWKI is the point that life will no longer return in its previous state. Most assume it is level 5, or a similar pre-extinction group of events. Level 5 being easily and most likely triggered by mother nature.

That is only man's intervention. We assume mother nature can be far more violent and damaging than man as a specie would inflict on itself. In the timeline of mother natures events we have only been alive for a very short period and much worse things have taken place on the planet than we have seen as humans.

Much the same as a river can crest its bank by any number of feet with different results, and a wildfire can go out on its own or eat an entire forest. The general premise isn't really tied to the 0-5 levels of man, but to the wildfire that eats half a continent, or the asteroid the covers a hemisphere in 3 inches of dust.

The events that shaped our planet are not over. fear other humans and govts if you like, but there are far more devastating forces that can bring those other humans to their knees.

The premise is hope is never lost. If a small group is all that can pull through, then their is hope for the specie.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The one constant in all of our lives is change. I literally shake my life up every six months to a year or so by moving. Sometimes the move is small from one neighborhood to another, other times its a little more drastic. In January of this year I moved from a city to a semi rural area. It took me 10 mins to get to the local grocery store in the city walking, in the semi-rural place I was living in it took me closer to two hours. While it wasn't an 'end of the world as we know it event' it shook things up enough that it really changed my perspective on things. Big changes in your life, in the lives of our family, your neighborhood, in your city, in your region are big changes to your world. Getting married and having kids is a 'End of the world as you know it' event. Its a great event, but its a life changer. If the power grid fails and doesn't come back up for a long period of time, it changes your perspective on things. Its nice to be prepared for such things. We will always constantly have change in our lives, and one must learn to be flexible enough to change with them... to "Survive Adapt Overcome" to quote a web board we happen to all read. If the change is something small... or if its something big, we prepare to be capable to handle it by being flexible enough to change with things, and not find ourselves stuck and attempting to depend on something that no longer exists.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
To me it means maybe no more malls, no social security, lack of electricity, maybe no gasoline and the possibility of living like America in the 1800's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts