Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's like dark by 7:15 PM. I can't go to sleep then. I can only stare at a fire while on a crappy seat or the ground for so long. I can only read a book with crappy lighting for so long. I guess I could get drunk and howl back at the coyotes. Any other ideas?

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
When I solo camp, I have no fire or book.

I set up camp in the dusk ... make my bed and settle in.
Prepare and eat the big meal of the day while reclining on/in my bedroll.
Clean-up, burp, fart, stretch, take care of other chores and plan the next day.
Listen to the bugs, breezes and animals ....
If I have pressed hard enough, I will fall asleep soon enough.

I wake at dawn, prepare a breakfast and coffee and consume it while watching the sun rise.

Attachments

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Yeah, music! Get yourself a copy of peter gabriel - passion and trip the night away without drugs. Or like you said - a six pack and some kickin tunes

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Well, having spent a lot of time under the stars and midnight sun, I can tell you it's nice to not have any radio, internet, television, traffic, screaming kids or industrial pollution when you are laying on your bed of spruce, head propped up on your pack, a wary dog curled up close, listening to the river and gazing at the stars or even the Northern Lights. Along with a good book, that's my entertainment. And it never gets old.

All I have ever taken is a radio (for weather reports and Mariner's games) and a tub of books. I have a CD player in the cabin.

I tie flies, make lures, tinker with my gear, shoot my .22 LR at a steel popper and throw the stick for the dog.

·
Talk To The Hand
658 Posts
Sounds like you might need to bring an RV, a generator, your plasma screen TV, mp3 player, a blender for making margaritas, and your wii game unit. Did I forget something? Oh yeah, make sure your cell phone is charged up for texting all of your BFFs while "enjoying" the great outdoors.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but if nature doesn't do it for you--maybe you need to go back to civilization.

P.S. If you have a camp buddy, telling stories about some of the crazy $#%@ you've done in your life (haven't we all?) around the campfire with a cigar and/or hip flask of hootch is funner than hell. Otherwise, study the constellations and fall asleep.

My $0.02--and yeah . . . I'm an old fart.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so your headlamp doesn't give you enough light to read by? you need a new headlamp.
I have 6 different levels, and could just about burn a hole through the pages with the highest setting if I wanted to. Do I want to? No, not really, no, it's just not comfortable to my eyes to have a single small source of light like that. I can stand it for about 20 minutes then my eyes hurt. I do have a small Black Diamond Orbit lantern that is much more comfortable if I put it further away then turn up the intensity. Maybe I can try hanging it from a tree branch or something.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like you might need to bring an RV, a generator, your plasma screen TV, mp3 player, a blender for making margaritas, and your wii game unit. Did I forget something? Oh yeah, make sure your cell phone is charged up for texting all of your BFFs while "enjoying" the great outdoors.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but if nature doesn't do it for you--maybe you need to go back to civilization.

P.S. If you have a camp buddy, telling stories about some of the crazy $#%@ you've done in your life (haven't we all?) around the campfire with a cigar and/or hip flask of hootch is funner than hell. Otherwise, study the constellations and fall asleep.

My $0.02--and yeah . . . I'm an old fart.
I appreciate everybody else's remarks, but as for this... thanks for the ill-conceived smartassedness old fart. :rolleyes: I spend plenty of time camping outdoors and always enjoy it but it's never while backpacking, never while alone, and never when spending the night out in the middle of the woods when the sun sets by 7 or sooner with me being a night owl. I agree, a camp buddy would make the entertainment alot easier. But, that's not what this thread is about though now is it? Re-read the title if you're still confused.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I pack a Martin Backpacker steel-string accoustic guitar; if you don't play, but want to teach yourself, at night around a campfire's a great time to start.
I do play, but my current guitars are too nice to take out in the woods. I might have to look at the backpacker. I actually did have an Ovation Applause that was very light and was mostly plastic so I used to take it camping, but I sold it... probably because it sounded like ass. :D: I do still have a ukulele, but it's solid koa wood, that would suck if I screwed it up.

·
Fled is that music...
141 Posts
The great thing about harmonicas, besides their incredibly compact nature, is that you can have no idea how to play one and still make it sound pretty good. My toddler even busts out some decent little riffs every now and then, haha.
Get a good night sky book also, and work on your constellations. Sounds boring but you'd be surprised how addictive it can be. I got into it when I was 16, I'd head past my dad out to the roof of our house with a flashlight and copy of the "Audobon Field Guide to the Night Sky" tucked under my arm - under the pretense of 'star-gazing.' Really I was just going out there to smoke cigarettes. Accidentally got sucked in though... :)

You could also collect tree leaves/sprigs on your hike; then once you've set up camp, break them out along with a field guide to trees and try to identify them.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.