Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of us know that during a SHTF scenario (especially long term) there can be little to no forms of entertainment. Entertainment will be a necessity in order to not go crazy. Going Stir crazy or any other means is not only a danger to yourself, but it would affect your loved ones.
I am not saying focus more on staying entertained than your survival, but it is an important part of life. While you are not on watch duty, scavenging, or doing whatever your duty is at the time it will be important to get your mind off things.

Books are great ideas to keep around. It is great to have survival manuals, but let's face it. No one will want to be reading those in a SHTF situation and honestly you should have learned the skills before hand. Keeping novels around would be perfect. Maybe even the ones you always told yourself you would read and never did. You could now have plenty of time.

Personally I have over 600 Vinyl records, 45s, and newer LPs. The record player has a headphone input so I can listen without alerting surrounding neighbors of the possible electricity or supplies my family has. I keep nearly every genre so I do not have to listen to the same thing over and over. I am not saying that i would replace my Ipod with the record player, but it is nice to have a change up and the sound of vinyl playing.

For the entire family (or portion of the family not working or keeping watch) board games are great to keep around. My family has a cabinet filled with games for game night that we could all play. Some of which are games that were gifts that haven't even been opened.

While fishing and hunting are going to be near requirements for food in a SHTF scenario sometimes they can still be a pass time or hobby. Having extra paper to draw is another hobby some may pick up.

Point of this is to give people ideas for how to stay entertained and mentally healthy during a disaster. I do not want people to think that doing so trumps survival and should be done instead of working on whatever needs be, but it is important.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great point & topic. I think this is a neglected area for preps, even though long term SHTF probably resembles a typical combat experience: 99.99% soul-crushing boredom, .01% danger and excitement.

I'd pack the following at a minimum:
1. Basic kindle paperwhite (own light source is important) loaded /w all the classics
2. Travel version of games (chess/checkers, backgammon, scrabble)
3. Playing cards

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
I've got several bookshelves of reading material. As long as I can stay home, I won't lack for entertainment.

I also know how to sew, and am figuring out how to knit and crochet. Combined with lots of yarn and plenty of cloth, that means I can make clothing, quilts, and other useful items.

And speaking of useful items, I have a workshop, tools, and plenty of wood and nails. The stuff I build tends not to be very attractive - somehow I don't have that knack - but it works as needed. I can not only build, I can fix, too. Right now for instance I am repairing and preparing my hoes, rakes, shovels, and other gardening and construction tools and equipment for next year.

Lots to do. There will be even more if it's a genuine TSHTF situation.

·
Time waits for no one
430 Posts
Cards, board games, night vision, cards against humanity, several other "adult" themed games for the missus and I. It all depends on what shtf scenario you think of. For most of mine I will be wiped by the time the sun goes down from manual labor to really have time to do anything other than eat and sleep.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Playing cards
Board games of almost all types (AD&D, Firefly, Star Trek, Pathfinder, Clue, Etc)
Plenty of arts/craft materials
Puzzles
3 Kindle Gen 2s loaded with everything from Pride and Prejudice to Lord of the Rings, to Denis Leary's "why we suck" book :)

·
camps in trees
2,068 Posts
I like woodworking, funny how I mainly work with metal right now. I enjoy the luxury of power tools for now but am capable of doing everything by hand. Roy Underhill is the man.

I'll be the crazy coot with a yard full of furniture.

·
Registered
52 Posts
These are great ideas I hadn't thought of, thanks! We all played scrabble at our B&B outing the other night when it was raining. And I love wordworking, I make dollhouses and castles, the 1"=1' standard size. I have good electric saws, sanders NOW, but can also do lots of wordworking by hand and I really enjoy it. Hadn't thought of guitars either; I also have 3 acoustics so guess I should buy some extra strings. Thanks for the new ideas.

·
reluctant sinner
17,575 Posts
Blank and line engineering paper, mechanical pencils with lots of extra lead and erasers. plus some modeling clay. Helps to have reference books. Design is my favorite past time. Much cheaper to make your mistakes on paper.

Tools - I just love taking broken things apart, a real treat is being able to fix the item.

Making music - I have a 2 harmonica and an acoustical guitar. I really like my dulcimer but I gave it away on my death bed.

I don't think there is going to be tons of free time post TSHTF. Limited food and lots on hard manual labor requires sleep.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention that I have an acoustic guitar, electric guitar, 2 drumsets, a marimba, grand piano, hand percussion instruments, harmonicas, congas, and plenty of drum sticks, guitar strings, and parts.

This may be loud at times when I need to lay low, but it is all situational.

·
Banned
30,720 Posts
Mumbly Peg is a great game for kids.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The kids got no electronics this year. It will be harder for some than others. They all got books or actual, in hand, toys. We have tons of books, board games and cards

·
Warrior
2,518 Posts
My family naturally enjoys things like board games and puzzles - we have some of each. My daughter and I both love to read so there are stacks of books. We also have cards and jacks. My daughter has taken an interest in cooking and baking, so we work on that together, and I'll be teaching her how to get started sewing pretty soon. We love the outdoors - camping, fishing, etc. She's getting a bow and arrows for Christmas so that should be interesting - something for her and my husband to bond over (he is her stepdad so that can be a challenge at times). We've got plenty to entertain ourselves, and even housework and yardwork and other chores can be somewhat entertaining for our family :)

Also....watching the dogs play is hilarious :)

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I have an orchestral flute, a drum, lap harp, sheet music, as well as LPs. There is a chess board and bits in the cupboard, and I'm sure a few other games.

·
Officer Friendly
1,157 Posts
Cards, books, chess, and more intricate games like dungeons and dragons are all great time killers.

Don't laugh at the D&D suggestion. It actually has some educational value.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I bought Ms. Gristle 2 new decks of cards as one of her xmas stocking stuffers. If I survive SHTF moment I may not survive much longer after if I keeping winning at cribbage. lol That's about all the entertainment I dare.

·
camps in trees
2,068 Posts
I bought Ms. Gristle 2 new decks of cards as one of her xmas stocking stuffers. If I survive SHTF moment I may not survive much longer after if I keeping winning at cribbage. lol That's about all the entertainment I dare.
I have a 7 year old, I have not won a game in years. Apparently I also don't know the rules to anything either.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts