Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone own one of these I have seen them for pretty cheap and was thinking of buying one.

pros??

cons?

are they as good as the mosins and mausers?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used to own an enfield no4 in .303 and have been kicking myself for selling it ever since :)

pros: 10 round capacity, reliable, good balistics, cheap

cons: .303 ammo is hard to find (here at least), IMO the action isnt as fast as a mauser´s.

yes id say they are as good as either the mosins or the mausers :)

God is not on the side of the biggest battalions, but of the best shots. Voltaire

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to own an enfield no4 in .303 and have been kicking myself for selling it ever since :)

pros: 10 round capacity, reliable, good balistics, cheap

cons: .303 ammo is hard to find (here at least), IMO the action isnt as fast as a mauser´s.

yes id say they are as good as either the mosins or the mausers :)

God is not on the side of the biggest battalions, but of the best shots. Voltaire

yes I belive all of them on the shelf had odd calibers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Im gonna go up there this evening and see if they are still there.

if they are I will write down what specs I can for each of them.

but one more question. would I be better off buying one of those cheap 30-06 deer rifle in a box combos for about the same price?? 300-400$

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
I think Im gonna go up there this evening and see if they are still there.

if they are I will write down what specs I can for each of them.

but one more question. would I be better off buying one of those cheap 30-06 deer rifle in a box combos for about the same price?? 300-400$
What do you want it for? Hunting? Plinking? History? Self defense? Your reason(s) will make a difference.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
plinking and hunting.

I already have my shotgun for home defense :thumb:
I'm not an expert but I think the Enfield would be ok for hunting. I'd rather have a Marlin 336 .30-30. Lighter and very dependable. Ammo is MUCH easier and cheaper to find.

And some states won't let you hunt with a 10 round magazine.

But the Enfield would be VERY enjoyable for plinking and range shooting. A nice piece of history- the British held an empire together with the Enfield/.303.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
. A nice piece of history- the British held an empire together with the Enfield/.303.

yes I remember when I was a child, going to my best friends house and his dad had a gun cabinet in the living room and had three of them sitting in there.

I remeber always staring at them thinking "that gun could blow stuff up" :D:

you gotta admit those old time mausers,mn,and enfields sure are some classy looking guns.

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
yes I remember when I was a child, going to my best friends house and his dad had a gun cabinet in the living room and had three of them sitting in there.

I remeber always staring at them thinking "that gun could blow stuff up" :D:

you gotta admit those old time mausers,mn,and enfields sure are some classy looking guns.
Yep I agree.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You can find them all over the place. Most gun stores will have either the number 1 mark 3 or the number 4 mark 1 or 2 in stock. Stay away from the Jungle carbine. it is a great collector piece but a terrible shooter. I prefer the later number 4 weapons as shooters. Not as much wear on them. The ammo they shot was very corrosive so really check out the barrel to see how much you have left. They used Cordite powder in them. The .303 round is quite old. it is a rimmed round that was to be phased out before WW1 broke out.

The British Government had commissioned the 1914 Enfield to be made by Remington in the US. The original pattern was for a rimless cartridge and the model was called by the US the 1913 Enfield. When the war broke out they had to refigure their plans and stick with the old ammo in the 1914 pattern. The US model is the US 1917 in 30.06.

I have several guns in .303 but would not consider them to be a first line gun for me. Ammo too corrosive and too hard to get.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Enfields are the BEST 'Fighting boltgun' out there.

The boltgun speed record was set with one.

The current world record for aimed bolt-action fire was set in 1914 by a musketry instructor in the British Army — Sergeant Instructor Snoxall — who placed 38 rounds into a 12" target at 300 yards (270 m) in one minute.[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

GREAT guns... and the Ishapore enfield was made in 7.62x51 (Esentually .308)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think the Enfield would be a good choice if your going to go with a military bolt gun. They are easy to learn most of them Ive handled are fairly accurate some are exceptionally accurate. They will certainly handle most game animals , after WW2 they were used in considerable numbers in Africa on big and dangerous game .
If you decide to buy one , try to find one with a good bore, and matching numbers .

ONE VERY IMPORTANT TIP : Never drop a round directly into the chamber on an Enfield. Load it in the clip first then work the bolt. The extractor on the Enfields are designed to pick the round up from the clip. Forcing the bolt closed on a round slipped into the chamber can damage or break the extractor.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
would I be better off buying one of those cheap 30-06 deer rifle in a box combos for about the same price?? 300-400$
$300 to $400 for an Enfield?
Rip off.
Shop around, you could almost buy three nice Enfields for $400.

·
Banned
630 Posts
I own a MK 5 Jungle Carbine, that is the kickingest rifle I have ever shot, no wonder they have a thick rubber buttpad, loaded with hunting ammo it is a killer, I have killed two hogs with it and some feral dogs, it lays them down....

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a number 4 mark 1 * made in Canada . i hunt with mine never had an issue with mine. i payed 220 for mine and it came with a bag of brass (back in June ) i restored mine heres some before pictures

after

it came out alright i think the finish has defiantly been able to handle anything i have thrown at it , my advice is to find a ffl dealer and se if he can order u one from these guys http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI1176-G that's were my dealer gets his .

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My favorite rifle is my remounted Lee Enfield. Sure it has a bit of a kick, but I don't mind. I always liked my rifle to have a little kick to it.

I use a lot of the .303 army surplus rounds. I bought 25,000 rounds rather cheap from various sources. Definitely clean your rifle well after using them.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
does anyone own one of these I have seen them for pretty cheap and was thinking of buying one.

pros??

cons?

are they as good as the mosins and mausers?
I own a No. 1 Mk. III*.

In my opinion these are some of the best rifles ever built, certainly ever fielded by a military. The Pros are quite simple, they are beautiful, sturdy, well built, very smooth rifles and they are extremely accurate. They also feature an innovative 10-round magazine that is released from below the bolt and is inserted straight, unlike other tilt type magazine locking devices.

The bolt itself is sad to be the fastest bolt ever built. These rifles were able to maintain a much higher rate of fire than any other rifle on the battlefield.

The on Cons are that people "think" it is hard to get replacement parts. This is not true, though it is hard to find surplus parts in decent condition as some of these rifles are getting quite old. My particular rifle was made in 1918. There are manufacturers of new parts however, such as Numrich Gun Parts.

As far as how they measure up to Mosins and Mausers there is as much personal preference as actual performance difference involved in this decision. You will be able to get a Mosin cheaper than the others and some Enfields can really be up there in price, as well as Mausers. There are several Indian Enflields that are cheaper but I find their quality to be less than the BSA rifles. Be advised there are many different versions of Enfields and they are all intended for certain conditions. So don't buy a jungle carbine mk. 4 if you are expecting a long range sharp shooter, buy a mk. III for that.

Happy shooting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts