Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK; I work around 80 hours per week, so needless to say, all my time is at a premium, let alone trigger time. I'm trading a friend an Enfield 2A I restored, so I needed to take it out for at least a box of ammo's worth of shooting to try it out. Since I was doing that anyway, I decided to grab a box of Bulgarian 7.62x54R and take the Mosin Model 44 carbine with me as well.

Enfield 2A:
If you're in the market for an affordable, reliable 7.62 NATO battle rifle and you're on a tight budget, this is the one for you. I ordered mine from Southern Ohio Gun back around Xmas and recently cleaned out the cosmoline and stripped all the polymer dip that the generously coated the rifle's metal parts. Underneath, the metal was sound, but the stock had repairs. My understanding of the 2A is that the Ishapore model was commonly used in drill and ceremony training, so it was dropped quite a bit.

Upon cleaning, I disassembled the bold, removed all the wood, and proceeded to reblue the metal using Birchwood Casey cold blue ( in the tube ). I sprayed the bore with brake parts cleaner first, then I used a .30 pull-through soaked in Hoppes #9 solvent. After doing this a dozen or so times and running Hoppes soaked patches until clean, I found an immaculate bore with perfect rifling. The bore was shiny silver when I was done.

I'm trading the rifle and ammunition ( along with other stuff ) to a friend for a Tula made SKS. I wanted to take the rifle out for a quick test-run, so I grabbed a box of Monarch .308 ( Academy Sports & Outdoors made in Russia ) and hit the woods. I loaded it up with 10 rounds first, set up a 100m small-bore rifle target at right about regulation distance, and commenced shooting from a kneeling position. The bolt action was butter-smooth and I shucked through the magazine fairly quickly and accurately for the first time shooting. The second round of shooting was more controlled from a standing position. I looked at the target and scored two bullseyes with decent groups from the other shots.

Since I was out anyway, I brought my Mosin M44. It's a Tula from 1948. I was using 148 grain Bulgarian steel-core ammunition and it's the first time I've had it out. The first five rounds were a bit stiff on the bolt; I'm honestly not used to the 90 degree throw for a Mosin and the rifle hasn't been fired that much. Around magazine number three, the action freed up a bit and was relatively smoother. Like the Enfield, the Mosin was accurate at 100 meters and gave decent groups ( 5-6" without my Rx glasses ) which were within Minute of Bad Guy.

In all honesty, either of these rifles would work well for someone on a tight budget. I checked Southern Ohio Gun and the Enfield 2A was no longer on the website. However, they do pop up on Gunbroker/Auction Arms/Gunsamerica from time to time. Given that large amounts of 7.62 NATO are now arriving from the U.K., Portugal, Australia, South Africa, and the Czech Republic, the 2A would be a fine choice for this caliber.

The Mosin Nagant is arguably the most ubiquitous bolt rifle in history being manufactured to the tune of 18-21 million guns and is still in front line service in Finland. The M44 carbine would make a great budget center-fire rifle for either urban or farm/rural use. The round ( 7.62X54R ) compares favorably with the .30 caliber choices in the West: .30 Springfield and 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester. Considering the cost, one may purchase an M44 for around $100 and a can of 440 cartridges for $75-80, it's a great proposition. The M44 would work as a first line rifle or as a truck or cabin gun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own both, as well.

I have the Ishapore set up in aftermarket stock and Scout configuration, and I'm looking for a gunsmith to cut it down to carbine length for me. It's got no real history, so I don't feel too bad about chopping it up. They're a great gun, I try to recommend them to folks who need a good beater or bolt milsurp. Definitely the one of the best guns nobody knows about.

My M44 is a Polish. Kicks like a mule, so much that I can't keep a scout scope on it...just got the irons back on. Very fun to shoot, and always a conversation starter at the range. Most folks have never seen a flamethrower. =P

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
the nagant is a real good rifle, my dad has a 1906 M91 and regularly outshoots guys with scopes at 300yrds. The Enfield is IMO bolt action perfected, you'll be hard pressed to find a better rifle at 3x the price.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Know your rifle

My advise is, I would not cut down an Ishapore to make it a carbine because then you would be loosing some important long range accuracy.

As far as the Mosin Nagant goes, you may want to get on the web site
www.appleseedinfo.org, when the page comes up then you would get onto the forums and register, there is a tread on tuning the Mosin Nagant rifle in the rifle knowledge bank. There is some good info there on how to turn this inexpensive rifle into an accurate shooter.

There is a good source of information there that can make your rifle perform beyond your expectations, every rifle shooter should give this site a good look for the different information available there.

:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.