Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been re-thinking energy savings after reading MrEnergyCzar's thread & viewing his videos.

Looking at youtube vids on saving/conserving/alternative ideas...and...also trying to do this on a budget. There are all types of fancy gadgets, switches, timers, solar arrays, and more, but unfortunately I do not have the means available to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars...

After looking at the soda bottle lightbulb -

I decided that was a neat idea, at least for daytime lighting. However, I would like something more substantial, more long term than cementing plastic soda pop bottles into holes in my roof!

Maybe using something like large glass mason jars, 1/2 gallon or gallon size. I assume thy would be mounted with silicone to allow for some expansion.
Any feedback on this from you do it yourselfers?

Ideas/comments/suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I may have totally missed the jist of your post.I just reread it. SORRY !
Some days I should learn to just stay OFF the internet ! lol

Sew a tube of thick fabric the width of your door,place a roll of newspapers inside to block the draft under doors & make smaller ones for windows. you don't have to use newspaper but they are good insulators

install an outdoor wood furnace - make sure it can burn what is free or readily available. Find out if you can burn pallets if need be, ya never know

install attic fans, dimmer switches, light timers.

turn your hot water tank off at night. This might not work for everyone. At least try turning it down.Maybe setting it on "vacation mode" would be enough

GLO IN THE DARK PAINT or glow pigments can be used in some cases for night lighting
I looked into it awhile back. One gallon of ultra green was like $595 a gallon -- if you black-out it can be a huge comfort for little kids & even fun to have a ceiling or basement walls glow-painted !
There are other glow products as well

"cook once eat twice"
rewarm the food instead of baking a whole separate time !
don't just bake ONE potatoe at a time - bake several & rewarm as needed !

I asked the gas guy last week about electricity vs gas & he said right NOW GAS is cheaper !
(go figure!)

research the possibility of solar power.Some companies will BUY electricity you generate at home -- They might even have a program to make sure you get what you need to do so ! I read somewhere the panels are super expensive. The article suggested checking with your State Hiway Dept to see if they will GIVE you those that end up damaged.They can be resoldered & put back into use.

Brew your morning coffee then pour coffee into Thermo or other -- you don't have to overcook it all day on the coffeepot ! It will keep a while if the lids on tight enough!

List what's inside your fridge on the outside of fridge or take a digital snapshot so no one has to stand with the door open all day looking around !

waterhaul bathwater to the patio plants
it takes energy to run electric pumps & to heat the water -- why not reuse it -- pay once use twice !

have family or friends who do a lot of baking in summer & you have no AC ? Try preparing what you want baked & then drive or walk it over so when they do their baking maybe sitting yours in the oven won't hurt anything or be a bother

close vents in rooms you don't use or won't be in - why heat or cool them (unless it's more efficiant to not close them)
My mom used to close the bathroom vent up until when it was time to start running a bath. THEN she would open it. She also warmed the bathroom with a small kerosene heater & turn it off as soon as the chill was off the room & kept the door closed to keep the heat in.You have to be carefull of fumes.

Don't heat inside cabinets or closets or drawers.Close them.

The only time I would leave a cabinet open is if there was a freeze warning to allow heat in under the sink so the pipes wouldn't freeze !

·
Registered
57 Posts
SELLING ELECTRICITY BACK TO THE GRID/ elecrtic co incentives USA by State !

SELLING ELECTRICITY BACK TO THE GRID – SELLING POWER ...

www.mywindpowersystem.com/.../selling-electricity-back-to-the-grid...
Sep 24, 2009 – The real question is can I sell power back to the utility company? :cool: Most states in the US have net metering bills that basically say the utility ...

electric company incentive programs USA by state :upsidedown:https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=electric%20company%20%20USA%20by%20state%20&pq=electric%20company%20%20incentive%20programs%20usa%20by%20state%20&cp=17&gs_id=2i&xhr=t&q=electric+company+incentive+programs+USA+by+state&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=electric+company+incentive+programs+USA+by+state+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=9e3cf2c04d2782bb&biw=1280&bih=836&bs=1

·
Registered
57 Posts
How to Get Free Used Solar Panels

Government Solar Energy Incentive Programs

Government sponsored rebate programs for solar energy projects.
These sites are helpful in locating state and federal financial incentive programs for energy saving projects.

http://www.builditsolar.com/References/energyincentivesrs.htm

How to Get Free Used Solar Panels | eHow.com

http://www.ehow.com/how_7513353_used-solar-panels.html › Home Building & Remodeling

I like this link better -- it details a little better what you need to do in order to possibly get free solar panels http://www.ehow.com/how_4703026_solar-panels.html basically, if they get damaged the companies don't like to have to bother disposing of them & they might feel better off to GIVE them rather than pay a disposal or haul-off fee -- The HIghway Dept uses them to power phones & signs , so if you see one - pull over & get out & jot down the number or company name & contact them.

I never knew anyone who did this but who knows -- it could work !

Finding a way to get free or even cheap used solar panels can be a great way to ... The highway departments use small solar panels for emergency phones and ...
(-- they get replaced if they get hit by traffic -- solder them -- make repairs- use)

How To: Cheap or Free Solar Panels - CleanTechnica

cleantechnica.com/2008/02/07/how-to-cheap-or-free-solar-panels/Feb 7, 2008 – It may be the next-best option for installing solar power after joining a solar ... illegal to stop on the side of a highway just to jot down a name and number. ... You'll want to talk to the mechanics or the maintenance department: ...

·
Registered
57 Posts
illegal to stop on the side of a highway just to jot down a name and number.
Really? I don't know about that.

If it isn't considered a "high volume traffic area" , why would it be a problem ?

We pull off JUST to switch drivers or if the car's on fire from a cig that didn't get tossed out the window (for instance) or to use the phone or to change a baby diaper or whatever else

Maybe that statement was made about the MANNER in which someone would pull off or how well out of traffic they were ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.