Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else keeping some stock of some energy drinks? I have a few, but not many. I also like to keep a few in my glove compartment mainly for those extra long night drives.

I like the 5 hour energy shots. I think they work pretty nicely, especially for how little room they take up. Plus the expiration date is pretty far out there. I had a late night last night, so I'm drinking one now (hence this thread... and the rambling nature of it...) and I purchased it probably 4-6 months ago. Expiration date is 06/09.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
They're awfully expensive. I stock vitamin C, a good vitamin B supplement and coffee and it's a helluva lot cheaper for the same stuff in the energy drinks... (They pump it full of caffeine, C and B's and that's about it.)

Granted- the drinks are yummier ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
One thing you need to watch is if you have or think you may have a heart problem. I have a problem with my heart and I have to watch the caffiene intake. I also want to say I read some side effects to those drinks but Im not sure now.

This is a good thread to start as its interresting to see if anyone has thought of these drinks.

·
Banned
27,826 Posts
Considering I live off of Monster MeanBeans I tis might be the only thing that I would really miss if everything fails. I have stocked up 3 months worth. It is a item I can live without but do enjoy the up and go they give me working on the survival retreat.

You can get good deals on them at costco if you want to stock them.

Later,
Wes

·
Registered
798 Posts
They're awfully expensive. I stock vitamin C, a good vitamin B supplement and coffee and it's a helluva lot cheaper for the same stuff in the energy drinks... (They pump it full of caffeine, C and B's and that's about it.)

Granted- the drinks are yummier ;)
How true! I take a 500mg V-C, and a B complex every morning along with my GNC mega man daily, throw in a cup of coffee and pow!! Im ready! I recently got my wife to stop drinking those red bulls when I showed her a bottle of orange juice gives you a quicker jolt of energy without the crash. Its also a lot more healthy. If you want to stockpile energy, buy some no-doze. Take it with a vitamin and fruitjuice. I have come accross no-doze when Im packing the survival kits in F-18's and C-130's that are 10 years old! We have to take em out and toss em. I save em. They still work. A bottle of no-doze is a lot cheaper than those drinks too. anyway, im rambling too. Peace!:thumb:

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
I drink no energy drinks, not at all. Caffeine doesn't work for a long time, but it does have withdrawal effects when you don't use it for some time. Energy drinks are not healthy.

I'd rather stock up vitamin pills, and if you really want to stock up soda, try to stock up coca cola (or pepsi or any other brand for that matter). That's not as unhealty as energy drinks, and it is good for rehydration (better then coffee, beer or energy drink).

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I drink no energy drinks, not at all. Caffeine doesn't work for a long time, but it does have withdrawal effects when you don't use it for some time. Energy drinks are not healthy.

I'd rather stock up vitamin pills, and if you really want to stock up soda, try to stock up coca cola (or pepsi or any other brand for that matter). That's not as unhealty as energy drinks, and it is good for rehydration (better then coffee, beer or energy drink).
Energy drinks are alot healthier than Coca Cola...

·
Registered
798 Posts
yes, not only do they have added vitamins but they are minus the phosphoric acid that pulls the calcium out of your bones.

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to point out that the 5 hour energy shot only contains about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, and apparently that caffeine helps with the absorption of the other nutrients. I think it's more of a B-vitamin blend than anything. (Vitamin B6, B12, Niacin B3, and Folic Acid B9 are all in there.) It also contains other stuff for energy as well. (Citicoline, Tyrosine, Phenylalanine, Taurine, Malic Acid, and Glucuronolactone)

I actually took an empty bottle into my doctor when I was preggo and asked if it was okay to take. He looked it over, said it looked to be one of the healthiest energy drinks he had seen, and said not to take more than one a day because of the "enough caffeine to equal one cup of coffee" but he asked if he could keep the bottle, because he was going to recommend it to a couple of his other patients.

YMMV, but I dig em.

If you want to know more about the ingredients, here's the site I got my info from: http://www.5hourenergy.com/ingredients.asp

·
357 Mag, sex for the hand
439 Posts
I drink at least 5 a week, 16 ounce cans of rockstar or fullthrottle. really dont think they are unhealthy if USED IN MODERATION. They have tons of vitamins in them. One thing I noticed is that they dehydrate me fairly quickly. I am used to carrying a gallon of water on me every day for work so its not that big of a deal. I used that 5 hour quick shot once, it made me feel more awake, but didnt grasp any physical boost. I can tell rockstar and full throttle give me a noticable boost in the physical aspect. Crashes are non existent as long as I limit myself to one can a sitting. I have about 2 weeks saved.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
One thing you need to watch is if you have or think you may have a heart problem. I have a problem with my heart and I have to watch the caffiene intake. I also want to say I read some side effects to those drinks but Im not sure now.

This is a good thread to start as its interresting to see if anyone has thought of these drinks.
Same here, but I do keep a few of the sports drinks that help to replace lost electrolytes after exertion. Just read the labels for nasties like too much sodium (water retention) etc. I also stay away from too much caffeine and things like guarana.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Energy drinks ill kill you... that being said, I have no proof of that and I drink them all the time. Cade you are correct I think they do the same to me. I may or may not be on anxiety medicine though.

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
love em. mmm..

I know many guys in supercross and motocross (dirtbikes :)) and when they get sponsers from red bull and stuff they can drink like 25 a day! red bull are way WAY too expensive. going shopping tomorrow, the wholesale store we go to sells cases of red bull for $40 and right next to it is the same thing under the name red rain for $15 both for 24 cans..

might get some of the red rain.. I enjoy them periodically.. don't notice a difference in performance mentally or physically but I know that a month or so ago, while walking through town with a buddy I had something like 2 litres of that crazy full throttle and rockstar stuff.. makes you foam from the mouth and feel really nasty.. almost got hit by a few cars too crossing the streets :S that many at once makes me nervous

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have been known to drink a Full Throttle {Blue Demon} or two. They work great for those days you just can't seem to shake the fog out of your head.
They also give a physical energy boost. As noted above however they do seem to dehydrate.
I don't keep a stock of them, but oddly enough my wife just mentioned that the other day.

·
Nerd
157 Posts
I stopped drinking a lot of caffeinated stuff about 2 years ago (used to drink about 3 62 oz things of mt dew/day) and went from fluffy to pretty cut, so I will stick to my Propel Fit water for now, but I do see the benefits of an energy drink in an emergency situation. They are well known to help with cognitive and physical abilities, (that's why they drink them at video game tournaments, think faster and better) but there is the crash...which honestly a lot of people don't notice. I'll stick to my water, but I think now that a few energy drinks wouldn't go amiss in a car kit

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
I love me the diet Rockstar (white can) and the Zero Carb Rockstar (blue can). :)
For survival sake though, I've got a few tubes of Zipfizz (powdered, mix with water )in the 72 hour kits and glove box. They're smaller, lighter and easier to pack around than a can. They used to carry them at the local Costco, don't know if they still do.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
If I'm suffering from a cold, sinus infection, hangover, flu. I have a little pickmeup Rx for you. Take 1 Redbull and dump in 1 Goody's Headache Powder. Mix it up and chug'er down. You will feel right as rain in no time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I usually stock up on 5 Hour Energy. 1 Red Bull a day is good for me too if I'm going to have a late night or something like that but I dont rely on them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts