Survivalist Forum banner

EMP question

1418 Views 50 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  country_boy
Other than the electricity going off, how would one find out if an EMP attack happens? What are some alternative forms of communication you can use to find out info?
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Capability, not scenarios
13,025 Posts
Electronic items which suddenly no longer work. Your car may not start. No electricity, no cellphones, the cellphone won't even turn on, perhaps.

Electronic scale? Won't work. Portable music player? No.

Now, having said this, the degree to which an EMP will destroy these things depends on its strength and its location. If it's a weak pulse, or you're in a structure that may provide some minimal protection, perhaps some things survive. Nobody really knows.

But if electricity went out and at least some of my electronic devices no longer work, I'm assuming EMP. And a resulting HUGE disaster for everyone.

· Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Look at the sidewalks and see if people are bumping into things and each other while staring intensely at their nonfunctional phones. Some will be kneeling on the sidewalk, fists clenched and screaming at the sky. From this point on you may refer to them as zombies. Proceed with caution. Go out among them and press your (non-working) phone to your ear and pretend to have a conversation as if your phone is not affected. Now the hoards of phone-dead zombies will gather around you and start to bow. Direct them to the nearest cliff or wastewater treatment cistern and throw your phone. They will chase headlong after it as you watch and laugh, as Master of your domain.

· Premium Member
692 Posts
All the airliners in the sky ending up relocated into smoking holes in the ground.
Nah, jet engines won’t stop, controls will still work, and pilots still have VFR flight rules and paper charts in those briefcases you see them carry.

Would they continue to original destination, probable not, fly safely to a near airport and land? Yes.

· Premium Member
18,331 Posts
Have you ever heard of "fly by wire" technology?
How long do you think the wires need to be for an EMP to affect them, and how well shielded do you think those systems are in a typical plane?

Planes are NOT dropping out of the sky. Cars aren't all stopping either.

Comms will take the biggest hit. The grid MIGHT go down.

· Registered
4,965 Posts
All the airliners in the sky ending up relocated into smoking holes in the ground.
Have you ever heard of "fly by wire" technology?
Have you ever head of lightning? Planes get hit by lightning and survive, that that’s a stronger EMP than a HEMP..

Some fly by wire planes have manual backup, BTW. If there was a risk it probally more likely to be FADEC engines- but again, these things are tested.

· Registered
791 Posts
Planes will absolutely be affected. There is a reason military planes are hardened against EMP.

But maybe the bigger problem will be loss of ATC. Thousands of planes in the air all attempting to get down ASAP without ATC? Yeah, that'll be fun even if all planes are fully functioning.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Who knows? We have seen both schools of thought. On one hand perhaps everything with a computer chip will be fried. Or maybe just things hooked to the grid. Or maybe really nothing. We just don't know. So just in case I keep a couple extra Baofeng ham radios, my shortwave receiver and an older Garmin GPS in a small "emp proof" trash can. Also an older tablet and laptop, and backup thumb drives to our computers with thousands of books on them.

Probably it's all a waste of time and money.

Unless it isn't.

I had a Piper Warrior II, it would be ok, I think. The rudder, airleons and flaps were wire, so you could land dead stick. I've done it. Some of the instruments were analog. The radios, transponder, avionics probably not so much.

· Registered
8,965 Posts
during the hay days of nuke prepping quite of few serious preppers had blasting caps rigged to trees with extended exposed wire attached ....

if you want a nitetime alert system - a battery powered alarm attached to a simple power outage alert device will most likely get the job done - a grid down is almost a certainty for a EMP

1 - 20 of 51 Posts