Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the Doctors show today and they showed a new clothing line for pregnant women that offered EMF shielding by using a cotton/silver thread blend. I wonder if using that material to wrap your EMF sensitive items in before placing them in a metal enclosure would add protection?

A blanket of the material goes for $109.00 USD

http://www.bellyarmor.com/shop/category/blankets

On the show one thickness of the material cut a cell phone signal by 50%.

Here are the testing results:

http://www.bellyarmor.com/2010/08/US-Tech-Lab-Report-Summary.pdf

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
Great solution to a problem that does not exist -- unless your baby is a robot!

Wait -- If your baby is a robot, why is it in your uterus.

Even then, it would have to be fashioned into a burka.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Are they freakin serious? "Protect your baby from everyday radiation?" WTF to the Nth power!
yeah there are a number of credible studies indicating that EM fields, specifically those from low frequency AC (like that from high tension transmission lines) can cause cancer and other maladies...

its actually shocking how much RF floats around our heads these days, what with electric power, WiFi and Cell phones... we could all maybe benefit from a silver threaded burka!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
yeah there are a number of credible studies indicating that EM fields, specifically those from low frequency AC (like that from high tension transmission lines) can cause cancer and other maladies...

its actually shocking how much RF floats around our heads these days, what with electric power, WiFi and Cell phones... we could all maybe benefit from a silver threaded burka!
Another sugestion would be to NOT use cell phones, wifi and such. Why not just resort to the old land line. A cell phone etc is just another word for electronic leash. I am not saying to not own one, just not to use one. I have a cell phone. I never even turn it on unless I have a road type emerg. or something of that nature. I also do not give my cell number to anyone but my wife, who takes it with here when she is on the road somewhere. We consider it for emerg use only.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Watching the Doctors show today and they showed a new clothing line for pregnant women that offered EMF shielding by using a cotton/silver thread blend. I wonder if using that material to wrap your EMF sensitive items in before placing them in a metal enclosure would add protection?

A blanket of the material goes for $109.00 USD

http://www.bellyarmor.com/shop/category/blankets

On the show one thickness of the material cut a cell phone signal by 50%.

Here are the testing results:

http://www.bellyarmor.com/2010/08/US-Tech-Lab-Report-Summary.pdf
It seems effective all the way up into the gigahertz range. I wonder where failure occurs regarding Volts/M^3.....................................

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Good solution to a problem that doesn't exist: EMPs don't affect humans. Are you a robot?
I was wondering if somebody was going to get around to that minor fact.

+1

You know somebody will buy one simply because it matches their foil hat.:D:

God Bless America!

(we need all the help we can get!)

Reactions: foslrckr

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think EMP was only mentioned here in the forum... Its really designed as an EMF protection which can be a problem for humans...The website doesnt actually mention the acronym "EMF".

I do a little engineering consulting for the broadcast industry from time to time and there are coverall/hooded suits made of the same material used for tower climbers working in high RF or even reduced power environments...This blanket is really nothing more than a tin-foil hat.. maybe it could be used to cover electronics and protect from an EMP.. I feel pretty its not been tested for that.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
I supose if a pregnant woman was going to climb an active radio tower she'd probably need some EMF protection.

Reactions: foslrckr

·
Registered
260 Posts
You all are missing the point of the post. Would this material work to enhance the protection of items from an EMP?
Thats why I said in my last post that this product has likely never been tested so its hard to say. I dont think it could hurt.

I only know of one EMP testing facility that the Government uses. There was a Nova Science Now episode that featured it. I don't remember the specifics but they were able to generate a significant pulse but focused on breaking things like Cars and RC aircraft. I don't recall any discussion of actual shielding tests, at least not that were covered in the discussion. The pulse was pretty well localized so any shielding tests might not be realistic...

If you think the price is right, give it a shot... I doubt it could hurt anything...

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
You all are missing the point of the post. Would this material work to enhance the protection of items from an EMP?
NO......it takes a faraday box to do that. Anything short of that is basically not going to cut it.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A Faraday box is a close mesh continuous wire cage around an object either grounded or not. Now, if you completely wrap the object with a blanket containing a close silver thread weave aren't you creating a Faraday cage? Think outside the box.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
NO......it takes a faraday box to do that. Anything short of that is basically not going to cut it.
I see no reason a faraday cage has to be rigid; or prism shaped.

Imagine a sheet of lead. No place your electronic device on one end and then roll it up. Fold the ends over. Faraday'd.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts