Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know, I'm a pretty outstanding technician, but I know precious little about EMP and its effects upon electronic equipment - at the moment [research continues].

My laptop is considered to be a necessity by me for communication and data storage, insofar as technical data is concerned. I would be 'disappointed' if it was destroyed by EMP.

As I said earlier, research continues, but it is possible to shield this device against EMP?

·
Being Prepared
311 Posts
Yes and no.
There are two wave forces from an EMP. One is directly shieldable and the other is not.

In either case, you can protect your sensitive electronic equiptment by placing them in a Faraday cage.

Personally, I'm still trying to detrmine if an open inductor like a generator winding should be store with the output shorted or open to minimized induced voltage damage.

Anyone know?

Bob

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I read a few articles on EMP and while I am no expert, if you store an item inside an ammo can, and store the can on a rubber mat, and store the can at the lowest point in the house, you are supposed to be safe.

Some other tips I read were to also ground the ammo can, and to wrap the item in rubber before putting it in the ammo can.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
A Faraday cage will shield from the EMP. The pulse will travel along the outside of the cage to the ground point. To properly protect electronics from EMP via a Faraday cage, you need to not only ground the cage itself, but have some form of insulator present to isolate the electronics from the cage. This will prevent the pulse from moving through the device via contact with the cage.

IMAO, YMMV

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

the best defense is to shield you equipment- AND know when to unplug from athe wall- be it DSL cable, or power cord, whether youre laptop is shielded or not- the transient pulse will ride up and lines and destroy your device.

·
Bail me out
398 Posts
emp is like lightning it will follow the path of least resistance like zig said you have to also isolate your items from the cage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts